Crash Crash Crash

Yuya6104

Hum ... I'm not sure it's the same bug because most of the time I was flying at low altitude when CTD occured...and it was in SP...

By 'the same bug' I think Pikey means that the crash log is identical. He and I, with the help of another in our group, were able to repeatedly reproduce this by passing FL200 doing about Mach .85 with 15 degrees nose up. We tried changing the FBW settings, payload etc to no avail. The only thing that I think was consistent for us was the RWR and perhaps D2M being on. On each reproduction, the error mentioned earlier was identical.

I just flew without the RWR (and without MWS) and... no crash! So the RWR might indeed be responsible for the crashes. That was a good find PB0_CEF! I will do further tests with and without the RWR to make sure.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I just flew without the RWR (and without MWS) and... no crash! So the RWR might indeed be responsible for the crashes. That was a good find PB0_CEF! I will do further tests with and without the RWR to make sure.

Can I ask *where* you tested as it seems to be of significance, and by 'where' I mean on which server/mission etc

Can I ask *where* you tested as it seems to be of significance, and by 'where' I mean on which server/mission etc

BlueFlag, as you can see in my previous posts ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The last flight I did in 1.5.2, turning the RWR on crashed it. The flat before that turning the master arm on crashed it. Both times I was above 20k ft and nose up attitude and climbing. Both of these crashes were a MP server. Had no issues in 2.0 though.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

OK, it has to be the RWR! I just made two more test flights (on the Blu Flag server) and it worked out like this:

Flight 1: I started from Kutaisi with 2x Magic, 2x S530 and 1x Center Fuel Pod. I flew with RWR activated and climbed to high level (around 20k feet) immediately after takeoff with afterburners lit. It CTDed after just 2 or 3 minutes.

Flight 2: I started again from Kutaisi with the same loadout and same flight profile but this time with RWR deactivated. It didn't crash for about 5 minutes where I kept cruising at 25k feet. I then activated the RWR and it crashed 2-3 seconds later.

I will upload logs and the track of the second flight in a moment.

Edit:

I just did a 3rd flight to test for altitude: Same flight with same configuration and RWR activated, but this time I kept it low level. It didn't crash for about 5 minutes. I then decided to go high and just when I passed 21000 feet it crashed.

So it seems like there is something wrong with the RWR at high altitude.

Edit2:

I attached to log files for all 3 flights and the track file for flight 2. The other two track files are too large.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Guys, we just found the problem today and is fixed in development! Next update you will be safe turning on RWR :)

Oh man, I'm really glad to hear that. Nice work! :thumbup:

I'm curious though what the problem was?

And do you know if it will be part of the upcoming 1.5 update?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Oh man, I'm really glad to hear that. Nice work! :thumbup:

I'm curious though what the problem was?

And do you know if it will be part of the upcoming 1.5 update?

It is unlikely that it will come in the update this Friday, but never say never. I hope I am wrong.

The issue was with the initialization (or rather, uninitialized) char pointer for an RWR type. Basically we just needed to change the way it was initialized.

/Gregory Smiddy

Programming

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

It is unlikely that it will come in the update this Friday, but never say never. I hope I am wrong.

The issue was with the initialization (or rather, uninitialized) char pointer for an RWR type. Basically we just needed to change the way it was initialized.

Alright, thanks for the answer!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Crash Log #6

What were the conditions of the crash?

Also on which DCS version?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 1 month later...

I seem to be suffering from CTDs at times as well. However, in my case, I'm not getting any log files. Is there a way I can force it to create a log file when it crashes?

Running Windows 10 x64 with DCS 1.5.3 (non steam version).