DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know King_Hrothgar, reason I was asking is cause I read somewhere earlier on the forums that tasks (pilot/co-pilot) were getting streamlined, thus meaning that no missile firing from pilot`s seat, etc... Sure, you can fly the heli from co-pilots seat, but would you ever fire a missile (guide it manually) and fly the heli at the same time? (spoiler: nope, never) :smilewink:

Regardless, will be interesting to see how well the missile responds to steering commands :joystick:

-=BFU=- zerO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the feeling that people misunderstand the word "scout / light weight"

There is no reason to compare a KA50 with a SA342M.

They have different tasks and about piloting, a scout is not attacking direct, they hit and run, so you wait for targets to cross a fire line or approach them slowly and try to outsneak them.

Uh1 is even a different deal then KA50 or SA342M.

All the comparison is worth only a little, cause what is lacking the ka50 you will find in the gazelle, what the gazelle is lacking you will find in the ka50 or others.

about thew copilot position and flying there is nothing bad to it. in reality it is possible too. A gazelle does not fight on the move, that is what we got as info, although they could, but it would minimise the effectivnes to 10% - 15% so no need to do so. In a battlefield you have to think smart or die.

• Like 1

Ka50 is of different calibre, shouldn`t even be compared :smartass: Kamov was designed to be operated by one, everything tailored to that requirement (among others), whilst Gazelle was more of a home garage mod :music_whistling:

Ka-50 was also work overload for a single pilot, so they came up with the Ka-52 to drastically enhance the chance of survival in a modern combat environment. :smartass:

While heads down on the Shkval you're a sitting duck, that is why all other attack helicopters are two seaters.

One mission commander/weapons operator, one pilot responsible for flying and defending the helicopter.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well tbh, after all these years with the shark (since BS1 for me), you do learn what to do and what not to, plus some research from pilot`s diaries etc... my rule is 90/10, 90% looking outside/10% looking inside the cockpit. Regardless, there is a bit of workload, sure, but I would argue that although it will be always easier for 2 heads to maintain such a machine, it still isn`t overloading 1. Don`t we all love heli`s cause there is more that can go wrong than in fixed-wings? :lol:

As for comparisons between Ka50/Gazelle/Bo105, this is exactly the reason I said that it`s pointless to compare them, tasking =/=, therefore I would never go in with a gazelle as I do with a Ka50 :thumbup:

Btw thx for a the work you are doing with Gazelle/Bo105, can`t wait to get my hands on ´em :v:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well tbh, after all these years with the shark (since BS1 for me), you do learn what to do and what not to, plus some research from pilot`s diaries etc... my rule is 90/10, 90% looking outside/10% looking inside the cockpit. Regardless, there is a bit of workload, sure, but I would argue that although it will be always easier for 2 heads to maintain such a machine, it still isn`t overloading 1. Don`t we all love heli`s cause there is more that can go wrong than in fixed-wings?

As for comparisons between Ka50/Gazelle/Bo105, this is exactly the reason I said that it`s pointless to compare them, tasking =/=, therefore I would never go in with a gazelle as I do with a Ka50

Btw thx for a the work you are doing with Gazelle/Bo105, can`t wait to get my hands on ´em :v:

The overload referred to real life.

In DCS it is simple, as you may resurrect and try again.

In real life the 10% heads down may be the 10% that let you miss a MANPAD launching take a second to adjust and kills you...

From what I've heard about real Ka-50 engagements and the pilot's feedback, it must be one hell of a stressful job, and during tests, they often missed important details, some potential threats.

This ultimately led to the decision to pursue the Ka-52 Alligator and Mi-28N Havoc to enhance especially the defensive capabilities.

Have a pilot monitoring the threats while the mission commander takes care about choosing weapons, acquiring targets, firing and guiding.

The Ka-50 is a hell of a ride to fly and the single seat aspect, makes it perfect for a simulation, but it also degrades its survivability on a real world battlefield, compared to a two-seater.

EDIT: What I want to point out, the Gazelle with its dual seat capability represents a typical scout/light attack helicopter unlike the Ka-50, which is very, very special.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

FishDoctor,

Yes, you can aim and shoot while in auto hover and while flying straight too with this module.

I should add, only the copilot can shoot for what has been simulated.

Hope it answers your question.

Edited by Pat01

Shagrat, I respect your view, but there a a couple of things:

I do agree with the 10% enough to get shot down, but then that could apply for any aircraft/vehicle/soldier, that ain`t really the point, as this helicopter has armament that is geared towards long range, that it technically should stay out of the range of most of the things that could do it bad, therefore its all a matter of tactics applied. I`m sure you agree that your stress level as a military pilot is low when you engage from e.g. 8-9km as compared to say 4...

Now, taking for instance Second Chechen War into account, the helicopters performance was stamped as splendid. It was at that point used in conjunction with a Ka29 that did forward reconnaissance. Never read/heard any report or Ka50 pilot claiming "too stressfull".

The only reason I suspect they added a second Co-pilot/gunner was primarily so they could extend the helicopters application envelope. Thinking here recce only, or the initial task it was meant for, namely command distribution among 4x mi24`s/28`s. At such a point I would agree that having a bud in your cockpit is great, but I seriously doubt it matters if your mission is straight forward, hunt down enemy, attack A, etc...

Don`t want to derail thread but well, shit happens :P

Edit: may I ask btw, is it still planned to release Gazelle 1st quarter 2016 as was initially planned?

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IMO, that's very simple : "Well, let's find a new way for my flight plan in my Ka-50" Let's look at the Abris, hands off from the cyclic. Then to the PVI... I hope that nobody is aiming at me :megalol:

With two pilots, there still is someone looking around.

Nicolas

Shagrat, I respect your view, but there a a couple of things:

I do agree with the 10% enough to get shot down, but then that could apply for any aircraft/vehicle/soldier, that ain`t really the point, as this helicopter has armament that is geared towards long range, that it technically should stay out of the range of most of the things that could do it bad, therefore its all a matter of tactics applied. I`m sure you agree that your stress level as a military pilot is low when you engage from e.g. 8-9km as compared to say 4...

Now, taking for instance Second Chechen War into account, the helicopters performance was stamped as splendid. It was at that point used in conjunction with a Ka29 that did forward reconnaissance. Never read/heard any report or Ka50 pilot claiming "too stressfull".

The only reason I suspect they added a second Co-pilot/gunner was primarily so they could extend the helicopters application envelope. Thinking here recce only, or the initial task it was meant for, namely command distribution among 4x mi24`s/28`s. At such a point I would agree that having a bud in your cockpit is great, but I seriously doubt it matters if your mission is straight forward, hunt down enemy, attack A, etc...

IMO, that's very simple : "Well, let's find a new way for my flight plan in my Ka-50" Let's look at the Abris, hands off from the cyclic. Then to the PVI... I hope that nobody is aiming at me :megalol:

With two pilots, there still is someone looking around.

Nicolas

Or trying to fight in a forrest area, a city or mountains with crevices and steep obstacles.

The workload was compared to a bomber pilot, which is right, but a bomber pilot usually has the ingress to prepare and stays high above the threat envelope until on target.

Compared to a Ka-50 that is going in low, possibly fast, requires high concentration from the pilot right away.

Especially, as you are constantly in a threat envelope. So focus on flying or preparing the attack? Stop and expose myself to acquire targets not knowing if the targets ahead are the only threat?

I'm not saying single seat helicopters don't work.

I simply mean there is a reason why the Ka-50 is the only single seat attack-heli in the world.

After reading quite a few books about British Apache helicopters and how the team works together, I see the Gazelle, BO-105 and other dual seaters as an interesting challenge to fly alone, but a tremendous benefit if multiseat multiplayer works.

To distribute the tasks, is a huge benefit and a definitive step forward in realism.

Not that the Ka-50 is bad or not up to the task.

Shagrat

The point that Dimitriov points out is rather irrelevant, as checking your ABRIS or PVI800 is something that is being checked like a speed gauge in your car, you don`t need to look at it for hours/minutes. And if there are some changes to your flight plan, and you need to revise your route or tasking of similar magnitude, then you simply fly out of the contested area.

As for the rest you mention Shagrat, sure, I agree, but then again, if the pilot knows his heli well (and the rank needed to fly it grants it), then you should have no problems. Don`t misunderstand, I do not wish to cavil, but one would need to specifically ask one of the real world Ka50 pilots how they feel about this sort of multitasking (flying while performing weapons management, tactics, etc...) As for the upgrade to Ka52, well sure, that has indeed done alot in the aspect of making the platform even more capable, with multiple extra systems (for instance inclusion of radar in Ka52K) and even more advanced cockpit suite. Other than that, I of course agree that 2 heads will have an advantage in certain situations, but you have to remember that there have been cases where pilot/co-pilot misunderstanding (due to stress and inappropriate language used) have lead to "unwanted" situations. And indeed there are more things that speak in favor of duals, so sure, that`s the best solution.

As for the video you linked, Dimitriov, yes there a many videos that show precisely this type of flying, however it ain`t the only one. You will have to adjust your approaches accordingly as terrain changes, for instance flatland with no places to hide. There are many ways to deal with it, and it certainly requires a different approach than Ka50, or any gunship for that matter, which makes it even more interesting for me.

On a second note, for artillery directing, I read the earlier post about creating flags that the would be relayed so artillery could home in on these coords and as such, deliver a strike. Would any of you devs mind explaining that a little bit more? Interested about the practical way this works in DCS. Is it some sort of datalink that will transmit coordinates to arty, or do you have to use comms for relaying it? etc....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a few screenshots I took for the community. We're almost there!! :pilotfly:

Sweet! Come on, hurry up and take my money!!! ;)

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

great pics....... The first pic (from cockpit) not show some type of dusk over the frontal window? new atmospheric effect?

My guess is fog set in weather options.

2000m or more visibility, so it cumulates to thicker haze in the distance... Gives a nice morning mist atmosphere. ;)

Shagrat

My guess is fog set in weather options.

2000m or more visibility, so it cumulates to thicker haze in the distance... Gives a nice morning mist atmosphere. ;)

Correct you are. 5000/1000m :thumbup:

V/R,

Ohgr

VCVW-11 "Vapor"

USN AE 2001-2015

Heatblur Tomcat Tester