DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

So again this stupid question: No official thread or site info about Viggen progress? WHY? Viggen announced in official ED news... so no Photos? Videos? WUT?

I guess because LNS just hasn't felt like doing the reveal yet for whatever reason. I hope that will change soon, I feel like LNS is missing out on valuable community input by waiting so late in the game to announce. Notice on other modules like the Mirage where the community has spotted issues that helped the devs to make adjustments, there is a lot of knowledge in this community.

I understood the hold back when it was still going to be a big surprise, but in the end I still would have preferred an F-14 style announcement in hind sight.

The ED acknowledgement definitely caught me off guard, I really thought LNS would have announced before ED made a statement like that, but at least it is something official. I was surprised there was no word of the F-4U in the email though, perhaps it has fallen behind the Viggen due to carrier ops and a theatre coming with it?

Edited by Hook47

So again this stupid question: No official thread or site info about Viggen progress? WHY? Viggen announced in official ED news... so no Photos? Videos? WUT?

Leatherneck has not yet announced it themselves.

And they most likley want to unveil it together with Pictures / video.

And they probably wanted to wait for the announcement untill everything looked good enough for pictures / video.

And The only time ED announced it was because it was already leaked through steam.

Otherwise they would not have said anything untill leatherneck was ready.

And the Announcement should not be long.

...and LN talked about it a month ago in their last newsletter making it official, so it's not like ED announced anything new (maybe apart from the rough timeframe).

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Got a reply from the national archives re: the missing parts of the formerly classified SFI for the AJ 37: it wasn't that the missing tabs could not be declassified, it's just that they for whatever reason weren't in the binders to begin with. I think I shall try asking for the AJS 37 SFI next.

A quick question since there seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable people here: The RWR on the Viggen seems to be pretty basic, have I understood it correctly that it's just the 6 lights around the radar screen and that's it? So you don't get any range/strength indication or indication of type of radar emitter? So it's basically not much better than the one in the MiG21, except you get a slightly better idea of direction because of the 2 extra lights?

A quick question since there seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable people here: The RWR on the Viggen seems to be pretty basic, have I understood it correctly that it's just the 6 lights around the radar screen and that's it? So you don't get any range/strength indication or indication of type of radar emitter? So it's basically not much better than the one in the MiG21, except you get a slightly better idea of direction because of the 2 extra lights?

IIRC the sound will differ depending on the type of radar emitter.

You'll hear a tone which frequency is the pulse repetition frequency (PRF) of the radar signal. There is no database in the rwr that identifies the emitter so it's up to the pilot to guess what it is. Generally, a higher pitch means it's a radar with shorter range; and frequent beeps could indicate it is tracking you. There are also two extra sounds: one for PRFs that are so high-frequency that the human ear can't hear them, and one for continuous waveforms (if carrying the U22/A pod).

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

IIRC the sound will differ depending on the type of radar emitter.

You'll hear a tone which frequency is the pulse repetition frequency (PRF) of the radar signal. There is no database in the rwr that identifies the emitter so it's up to the pilot to guess what it is. Generally, a higher pitch means it's a radar with shorter range; and frequent beeps could indicate it is tracking you. There are also two extra sounds: one for PRFs that are so high-frequency that the human ear can't hear them, and one for continuous waveforms (if carrying the U22/A pod).

That's very interesting and very informative, thank you very much! Will be interesting to see if you can actually learn to identify (more or less) units depending on this.

Too bad there's no indication of strength/range, but I guess I'll just have to make do.

Btw, what if you are illuminated by multiple radars at the same time? Does the RWR prioritize which one it shows sort of like the russian RWR or does it show (and play the sounds) from them all at once? Anyone know?

I found a document of an interview of engineers and pilots talking about early aircraft radars. It might have been posted here before, I’m not sure.

The interview is in Swedish. Starts on page 45. [ame=https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:127835/FULLTEXT01.pdf]Link here[/ame]

I found a part where they talk about the AJ 37’s radar, the PS-37/A. It’s not the one we’re getting, but it’s very close. We’ll get the PS-371/A, the same one as on the SH 37, the sea reconnaissance version of the Viggen.

“It wasn’t really an a2a radar, what we used was the mapping mode (swe: kartritningsmoden) to create a picture of the air situation. You really couldn’t do more than that, which resulted in a pretty heavy workload of the pilot. Fascinating enough it gave really good range measurements, even against air targets.” : Pilot, Leif Åström

“The Achilles heel was that it still was an analog radar, and was dependent on the pilots skill to counter interference. It took a lot of training to learn how to manage all the different filters to counter different countermeasures.” : Pilot, Leif Åström

“The focus, as we experienced it, was that the radar could handle both ground and air targets. Then it became more of an attack radar that would search and measure (range) ground targets and would have a secondary function against air targets.” : electrical engineer, Jörgen Nilsson

I'm sure there're more interesting information in there about other radars and aircraft if you have the energy/ will to read though it all.

Edited by MYSE1234

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

I found a document of an interview of engineers and pilots talking about early aircraft radars. It might have been posted here before, I’m not sure.

The interview is in Swedish. Starts on page 45. Link here

I found a part where they talk about the AJ 37’s radar, the PS-37/A. It’s not the one we’re getting, but it’s very close. We’ll get the PS-371/A, the same one as on the SH 37, the sea reconnaissance version of the Viggen.

“It wasn’t really an a2a radar, what we used was the mapping mode (swe: kartritningsmoden) to create a picture of the air situation. You really couldn’t do more than that, which resulted in a pretty heavy workload of the pilot. Fascinating enough it gave really good range measurements, even against air targets.” : Pilot, Leif Åström

“The Achilles heel was that it still was an analog radar, and was dependent on the pilots skill to counter interference. It took a lot of training to learn how to manage all the different filters to counter different countermeasures.” : Pilot, Leif Åström

“The focus, as we experienced it, was that the radar could handle both ground and air targets. Then it became more of an attack radar that would search and measure (range) ground targets and would have a secondary function against air targets.” : electrical engineer, Jörgen Nilsson

I'm sure there're more interesting information in there about other radars and aircraft if you have the energy/ will to read though it all.

Nice.

So we finally have a confirmation on its Air-Air Capabillities.

So in short the Air-Air Radar Capabillities will be limited.

And while you will be able to get Range and direction to contacts etc it cant be used to "lock" a target or to guide weapons.

Speaking of the RWR, does anyone have a satisfactory explanation for why there was so much hush-hush about it? Unlike most other components on the aircraft which were named according to their purpose, the RWR was given the cryptic designation "device 27" (apparat 27) and its main component is called "unit L". Why so circumspect? Surely a RWR wasn't that spectacular technology in the 60's.

Speaking of the RWR, does anyone have a satisfactory explanation for why there was so much hush-hush about it? Unlike most other components on the aircraft which were named according to their purpose, the RWR was given the cryptic designation "device 27" (apparat 27) and its main component is called "unit L". Why so circumspect? Surely a RWR wasn't that spectacular technology in the 60's.

The countermeasure capability of an aircraft might very well be something that was kept at a high secrecy level, i'd suspect thats why. :-)