DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

This is a pretty amazing video. You can literally see the point at which the PIC notices his wife.

What a powerful fighter! I've been reading up on the aircraft in books and found it can takeoff inside it's already ridiculously small landing distance!

Takeoff: 400m!/1,640ft

Landing: 500m/1,312ft

What a powerful fighter! I've been reading up on the aircraft in books and found it can takeoff inside it's already ridiculously small landing distance!

Welcome to the club!

I really hope you get the opportunity to see it IRL some day. That experience will blow you away - in many aspects =)

As stated previously in this thread, there is one active AJS-37 that is doing frequent shows in Sweden and some parts of Europe. Unfortunately they haven't released any schedule for 2016 yet.

Here are some recent films with this particular aircraft:

[ame]

[/ame]

Including all other SAAB fighters (unfortunately there is no flying Lansen any more):

[ame]

[/ame]

Swedish Airforce Historic Flight youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/swafhf

400m = 1312ft and 500m = 1640ft

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I work at one of our museums displaying this aircraft in Sweden F15 Hälsingeflygflotilj (the 15'th airwing)

I've spoken to quite a few former pilots of this aircraft, and you can get this big bird stopped in under 500m, all the way down to 350m under the right conditions and using the right techniques. There were a few different techniques they used which slowed them down quicker and almost as quick as the standard AOA 15.5 landing. e.g Doing a aerodynamic braking and using your main brakes at the same time, that technique could get it stopped in around 600m. With out reverser, Because for the reverser to work the nose wheel has to be on the ground.

The technique I've been told by several of these pilots was one they referred to as (Hängmattan) or hammock approach, they would come in at a higher AOA 16-17~ but much lower and touching down a lot softer, because if you would touch it down at the same rate as in 15.5 AOA approach it would slam the rear of the airplane into the runway at AOA 17, due to the suspension compressing so much and the rear being so close to the ground already at that attitude. Using this technique with low fuel level they got it to a full stop in less than 400m. The 500m landing and 400 takeoff is more of a public figure, if you push it as you can see above you can do some pretty bad ass stuff with this airplane.

Welcome to the club!

I really hope you get the opportunity to see it IRL some day. That experience will blow you away - in many aspects =)

As stated previously in this thread, there is one active AJS-37 that is doing frequent shows in Sweden and some parts of Europe. Unfortunately they haven't released any schedule for 2016 yet.

Here are some recent films with this particular aircraft:

Including all other SAAB fighters (unfortunately there is no flying Lansen any more):

Swedish Airforce Historic Flight youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/swafhf

there are still Lansens flying.

(2-3)

but they are not part of the Swedish Airforce Historic Flight.

but rather owned by the millitary directly (they do some meteorological but also fly at airshows)

According to what i can find all of them are currently undergoing maintenance and may or may not be doing any airshow flying this year.

but atleast 2 of them flew at airshows during 2015.

the Swedish Airforce Historic Flight is currently working on bringing one or more of the J-32s into the Swedish Airforce Historic flight organisation (being transferred from the Historic Flight group that is under the umbrella of the armed forces and is known as Försvarsmaktens veteranflyg)

and word is atleast one of the J-32s might be joining the

Swedish Air Force Historic Flight group as early as this year.

Another cool this is there is currently a SK-37 (2 seat viggen) being brought back to flying condition its being restored by the armed forces group but its very likley to be transferred to SwAFHF (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight)

and might be ready to fly in 2016 .

So hopefully we will have more and more Old Swedish aircraft flying in this year and the next =).

The SK-37 will be awsome because a 2-seater gives more options then a one seater when it comes to footage and joyrides etc.

Edited by mattebubben

(2-3)

but rather owned by the millitary directly (they do some meteorological but also fly at airshows)

According to what i can find all of them are currently undergoing maintenance and may or may not be doing any airshow flying this year.

but atleast 2 of them flew at airshows during 2015.

the Swedish Airforce Historic Flight is currently working on bringing one or more of the J-32s into the Swedish Airforce Historic flight organisation (being transferred from the Historic Flight group that is under the umbrella of the armed forces and is known as Försvarsmaktens veteranflyg)

and word is atleast one of the J-32s might be joining the

Swedish Air Force Historic Flight group as early as this year.

Another cool this is there is currently a SK-37 (2 seat viggen) being brought back to flying condition its being restored by the armed forces group but its very likley to be transferred to SwAFHF (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight)

and might be ready to fly in 2016 .

So hopefully we will have more and more Old Swedish aircraft flying in this year and the next =).

The SK-37 will be awsome because a 2-seater gives more options then a one seater when it comes to footage and joyrides etc.

The same group brought back the SK-35 just last year (or the year before?) so i hope they get to handle the airshows for the SK-37 aswell! :-)

Some more AJS37 pr0n (all High res videos):

Makes you kind of proud to be a Swede:

Edited by El Hadji
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

I work at one of our museums displaying this aircraft in Sweden F15 Hälsingeflygflotilj (the 15'th airwing)

I've spoken to quite a few former pilots of this aircraft, and you can get this big bird stopped in under 500m, all the way down to 350m under the right conditions and using the right techniques. There were a few different techniques they used which slowed them down quicker and almost as quick as the standard AOA 15.5 landing. e.g Doing a aerodynamic braking and using your main brakes at the same time, that technique could get it stopped in around 600m. With out reverser, Because for the reverser to work the nose wheel has to be on the ground.

The technique I've been told by several of these pilots was one they referred to as (Hängmattan) or hammock approach, they would come in at a higher AOA 16-17~ but much lower and touching down a lot softer, because if you would touch it down at the same rate as in 15.5 AOA approach it would slam the rear of the airplane into the runway at AOA 17, due to the suspension compressing so much and the rear being so close to the ground already at that attitude. Using this technique with low fuel level they got it to a full stop in less than 400m. The 500m landing and 400 takeoff is more of a public figure, if you push it as you can see above you can do some pretty bad ass stuff with this airplane.

That's a very useful info, thanx!

The STOL capability is one of the things I look very much forward to explore. The gears & brakes had to be top-notch in Viggen.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Aha, I didn't know that. just assumed that all where out of service permanent today. Great news.

Back to Viggen topic. Found some buttons that will be, if not a perfect match, pretty close to the original autopilot mode buttons (for my future cockpit build) :)

SA_knapp.jpg.693dbe6b937e31805b38ba5f980abcf4.jpg

That's a very useful info, thanx!

The STOL capability is one of the things I look very much forward to explore. The gears & brakes had to be top-notch in Viggen.

Another fun fact! You can engage the reverser already on final, so it will automatically engage when you touch the ground! However, if you dont get your nosewheel on the ground within 2 seconds this procedure will automatically cancel and you will not have any thrust reverser. that is why they usually set it down hard and just push it into the ground to shorten the time it takes to stop and to make sure that reverser engage.

Some more AJS37 pr0n (all High res videos):

I just LOVE the sound of that bird. Had opportunity to see it couple of times here in Sweden. When it passed, you felt the vibrations in your chest.

Edited by JaNk0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, hearing the roar of the RM8 is more than half of the experience. Have seen the planes in the videos I linked several times but I am just as marvelled every time I hear the Viggen and the Draken. I also remember seeing and hearing Viggens from F7 as a kid. We had a summer house at Vänersnäs, right across the water (southern part of Lake Vänern) from the airbase. We used to hear them going out and coming back from missions. I really hope they get the sound right!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

What is max Glimit on viggen?

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

What is max Glimit on viggen?

I think it was designed to withstand 12 G's but operational limit was 7. Someone can probably correct me if I'm wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

Another fun fact! You can engage the reverser already on final, so it will automatically engage when you touch the ground! However, if you dont get your nosewheel on the ground within 2 seconds this procedure will automatically cancel and you will not have any thrust reverser. that is why they usually set it down hard and just push it into the ground to shorten the time it takes to stop and to make sure that reverser engage.

Correct. Some more details about this discussed previously:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2606388&postcount=613

My personal favorite Viggen thrust reverser video is this old classic:

That Shell truck rolling right in front of the viewers during the routine! Trolling like a boss! :lol:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.