DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I had a slow day at work so i decided to translate the first few pages of the manual for the AJS37. I might do more i find the time. :P

AJS37 Drivers Instructions Part 1

Edit: Just added a translation of the second tab of the manual.

Edit 2: The next section, that covers power supply (hydraulics and electrics), is 39 pages, so that might take a while. :P

Thanks a ton for doing those!

Thanks! I realize it might be more or less a waste of time since you guys apear ot be close(ish) to finishing the module, and thus there likely exists a translated manual already out there, but i guess i learn more and have more of an excuse to read it this way! ;-)

No real telling when, and we have this right now. So seriously, thanks dude.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I had a slow day at work so i decided to translate the first few pages of the manual for the AJS37. I might do more i find the time. :P

AJS37 Drivers Instructions Part 1

Edit: Just added a translation of the second tab of the manual.

Edit 2: The next section, that covers power supply (hydraulics and electrics), is 39 pages, so that might take a while. :P

Love this. Thank you!

-Nick

The JA 37 only got wired for AMRAAM's with the JA 37D upgrade in the mid-90's.

The Skyflash is a British-developed improved version of the Sparrow (forget which version it was based on).

It was based on the C-Sparrow...but just because it´s based on it, does not mean they are interchangable...

And yes, obviously the jet didn´t get wired for AMRAAMs before there was any AMRAAMs in service...

But AJS is not JA so I don´t even know who brought that up and for what reason.

We are getting AJS-37 as far as I heard, and that is Sidewinders only for Air to Air.

Altho six AIM-9s is nothing to laugh at.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Nope, no laughing whatsoever. In Fact, the F-16A block 15 (non adf) is responsible for the majority of air-air kills and it only used AIM-9s. the AIM-9M is a lot better than people realize, because they keep comparing it to the R-73

My Logitech Extreme3D Pro "Essentials" Profiles for FC3 and 25T:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/599930/

VERN0UL.png

Thrustmaster T.16000M, TWCS

FC3, F-5E, M2000C, AJS-37, C-101, F-14, NTTR

I understand that the radar of the AJS-37 is capable of tracking air targets. Will it be able to slew the seekers of it's AIM-9's to the locked air target? Or will we only be able to boresight lock?

I haven't read that far in the manual yet but if I've understood others correctly the radar is able to assist the AIM-9s in finding targets, I'll get back to you when I have read ahead in the manual. :-)

The radar can't lock air targets as far as I know and so it shouldn't be able to slew AIM-9s. See here:

The radar can be used to detect aircraft but not "lock" them like a normal fighter radar. The sight calculations for the guns are either based on a fixed range of 500 m and an adjustable wingspan of the target, or the radar can be used to determine the range.

Enable the radar ranging by depressing and releasing the fix trigger to the first detent when the target is in the sight reticule .

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The radar can't lock air targets as far as I know and so it shouldn't be able to slew AIM-9s. See here:

Im reading through the Manual atm.

First about the missiles (yet to be able to find the secion about the radar)

The AJS-37 was able to uncage the seeker heads (on the Aim-9s)

This would in itself give it a broader field of fire since after getting a tone and uncaging the seeker you no longer need to have the target directly at ur nose but as long as the seeker can slew to see the target it can maintain a good tone.

And while i have not yet found the section about the radar ive seen mention that the hud had the abillity to indicate the recommended fiering distance to both targets in the air or on the ground (using the radar)

This makes me lean towards that the radar can lock a target to give you information about range direction etc.

Im gonna keep looking but i cant definitely either way if it cant or can lock up a target.

And for anyone with the AJS-37 manual.

The parts about the IR missiles are at pages 469-475

While the pages around the Radar display (Central Indikator)

and HUD (Siktlinjesindikator)

starts at Page 268 (its mostly about the hud)

Edited by mattebubben

If anyone else didn't post this...

Wikipedia:

Swedish Air Force fighter pilots, using the predictable patterns of SR-71 routine flights over the Baltic Sea, managed to lock their radar on the SR-71 on numerous occasions. Despite heavy jamming from the SR-71, target illumination was maintained by feeding target location from ground-based radars to the fire-control computer in the JA 37 Viggen interceptor.[79] The most common site for the lock-on to occur was the thin stretch of international airspace between Öland and Gotland that the SR-71 used on the return flight.

Frisco1522

I have searched a lot of info about Viggen since I heard the rumors that Leatherneck is working on a Viggen module. Just have to say that I am very happy that Leatherneck is working on AJS-37 and I am looking forward to see the result!

In my search I found a document describing the aerodynamics of Viggen on NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS):

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19860019453&hterms=Aerodynamics+Viggen+37+aircraft&qs=N%3D0%26Ntk%3DAll%26Ntt%3DAerodynamics%2520of%2520the%2520Viggen%252037%2520aircraft%26Ntx%3Dmode%2520matchallpartial%26Nm%3D123|Collection|NASA%2520STI||17|Collection|NACA

Direct link to the PDF:

[ame]http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19860019453.pdf[/ame]

I don’t think this have been posted here before and I hope it will be of interest to some of you. It describes a lot of the reasoning behind the design decisions. There is also some comparisons to F-5 Freedom Fighter, Mirage III, F-4 Phantom and Saab 35 Draken on page 122 (PDF 127), might be some more comparisons but this is the only one I bookmarked. Everything in the document is in English except the figures.

• Like 1

Does it state how NASA did those evaluations of the viggen?

Did NASA personell come to sweden or did they just exhange information ?

(Since to my knowledge no Viggen have ever been in america in either flyable or non flyable condition)

In the late 90s / early 2000ths when the Viggen was retired there where some US museums that aquired after the possibility of getting a viggen for display.

One of the deals that ive heard of that was very close to happening was with The Pima air/space museum in Arizona.

And The plan was to give it a flying entrance to the museum (shipping it to the US but then assembling it and flying it to the museum giving its a last flight / spectacluar entrance)

But due to budget reasons nothing ever came of it and all it appears all other deals met similar fates.

Since Atleast when it came to the AJ/SF/SH variants sweden was very open to "giving" them to museums in other nations.

Since none of the componets where needed and its quite expensive to break up/scrap such a large aircraft (wich is why many eastern nations just have plane graveyards)

Most JA-37s where taken apart since many of components like displays etc

could be used elsewhere.

(especially in the upgraded JA-37D variant since its mfd display was the same as those used on JAS-39A and as such many where taken out of the viggens and either put into new build JAS-39s or used as spares)

Does it state how NASA did those evaluations of the viggen?

Did NASA personell come to sweden or did they just exhange information?

I just spent some time on Google since I am curious about this as well. It seems as if NASA (or associated companies such as Rockwell) personnel came to Sweden. I found CV's for some NASA staff (past or present) and they show evidence of them being in Sweden.

Here is one example:

http://www.usafa.edu/df/dfan/faculty%20and%20staff/yechout.cfm

There is also information about data exchange. I found a NASA document Viggen that mentions damage tolerance data from Swedish tests that were implemented in the NASA database. I can't link this pdf for some reason though... Google "NASA Viggen evaluation" and you will find it.

[ame=http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840011211.pdf][/ame]

This document mentions tests carried out by Rockwell and SAAB:

[ame]https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Flying_Beyond_the_Stall.pdf[/ame]

My conclusion is that no 37 ever left Sweden for this. At least I can't find any evidence of it.

Edited by El Hadji

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Here is an interesting PDF about the viggen in english.

it contains alot of information around preformance and surrounding areas etc.

[ame]http://www.temporal.com.au/viggen_final.pdf[/ame]

Most of the information is on the preformance on the JA-37 but alot of it holds true to the AJ(S) 37 aswell and should be interesting read none the less (for those interested)

Here is an interesting PDF about the viggen in english.

it contains alot of information around preformance and surrounding areas etc.

http://www.temporal.com.au/viggen_final.pdf

Most of the information is on the preformance on the JA-37 but alot of it holds true to the AJ(S) 37 aswell and should be interesting read none the less (for those interested)

Hmm.. read the paper but the authors take on subject seems abit, well.. simplistic :P But then again it is a engineering bachelor's paper so I guess he still had a lot to learn at that point.

In short the final maneuvre estimates are very sketchy.

The report posted by Snotric is a real gem though, one the author of the paper (John McIver) no doubt could've drawn a lot of benefit from :)

I expected no less from you guys Cobra, IMHO you guys set the bar in this sim :)

PS: Cobra you need to clear your inbox, one cannot send you PMs :P

Heh, it's currently 98% -- send away before it fills! :P

I try to clear it a little now and again, haven't found the time to go through and remove all that is not necessary.

Otherwise, e-mail is best: nicholas.dackard@gmail.com

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

If anyone else didn't post this...

Wikipedia:

Swedish Air Force fighter pilots, using the predictable patterns of SR-71 routine flights over the Baltic Sea, managed to lock their radar on the SR-71 on numerous occasions. Despite heavy jamming from the SR-71, target illumination was maintained by feeding target location from ground-based radars to the fire-control computer in the JA 37 Viggen interceptor.[79] The most common site for the lock-on to occur was the thin stretch of international airspace between Öland and Gotland that the SR-71 used on the return flight.

Frisco1522

I'm not sure if your comment is just a general comment or if it refers to the discussion of the radar locking capability that took palce just before your comment. If it's the latter, then let me point out, that your wiki-quote is about the JA-37 and not the AJ-37 that we will get.

If it was just a general comment then nvm :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg