542 members have voted

1. 1. Harrier poll

• AV-8B Harrier II Night Attack
    • GR7/GR9 Harrier

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the targeting pod, more thrust and additional pylon on the GR7/ GR9, but the AV-8B would be the first Marines Aircraft (fixed wing) in DCS (for GB there is the Hawk and maybe some day the Tiffy), so voted for the Marines Harrier II.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, now they are asking which version, GR7/9 or AV-8B(NA), we would like to have.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Like the targeting pod, more thrust and additional pylon on the GR7/ GR9, but the AV-8B would be the first Marines Aircraft (fixed wing) in DCS (for GB there is the Hawk and maybe some day the Tiffy), so voted for the Marines Harrier II.

If F-18C releases before the Harrier then we can declare that to be the first Marine aircraft (fixed wing). :thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

That gun is tempting though, but it would be nice to have a very basic rundown of what each version would entail. To make the most educated decision.

Indeed, reading through the posts I'm not sure everybody knows what the difference between the GR7/9 and AV-8B are so here is a little info on them.

The initial production AV-8B(NA) and GR7 are essentially the same thing. The primary differences were in equipment fit. Both used ARBS in conjunction with the nose mounted FLIR, as their primary targeting device for unguided bomb delivery for both day and night. The GR7/9 was upgraded with Zeus ECM system (jammer pod not required) and extra pylons dedicated to AIM-9 carriage. The gun for the GR-7/9 was a stillborn project that was never really required for its intended mission.

The differences between AV-8B's-

AV-8B is the initial day attack variant that used ARBS as the primary target designation device.

AV-8B(NA) is night attack capable using a nose mounted FLIR improved HUD and NVG compatible cockpit. It also used ARBS. THIS IS THE VERSION IN THE POLL.

AV-8B+ is the version that dispensed with ARBS in favor of the APG-65 radar. This is the only version that is capable of using Harpoon or AMRAAM.

Weapons

Harrier GR7/9 interdictor aircraft has eight under wing hardpoints plus three mounting points for targeting pods, countermeasure pods, a reconnaissance pod or LIDS under the fuselage for a grand total of 11 useable stations.

The AV-8B(NA) CAS aircraft has six under wing hardpoints, a centerline mount for the ALQ-126 jammer pod, plus mountings for the GAU-12 25mm gun pod system or LIDS. This is nine usable stations with the GAU-12 taking up two of them by itself.

Typical AV-8B loadout over Afghanistan (Pictured is the B+ but the B(NA) is similar) AIM-9 would be carried on stations 1 and 7. The short range of the Harrier requires the use of two 300 gallon drop tanks which reduces the bomb load to one GBU-12 LGB in addition to the single GAU-12 25mm cannon system with 300 rounds.

harrierrefuel.jpg

Typical GR9 loadout over Afghanistan. Note the locations of the targeting pod and this particular machine carries a reconnaissance pod and countermeasures dispenser pod on the belly as well. This plane is equipped with 2 pods housing CRV-7 rockets and two GBU-12 LGB's. The BOL sidewinder rails carry additional expendable countermeasures as well.

Harrier+GR9+Afghanistan.jpg

Edited by Vampyre
  • Like 3

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

I feel us Brits could do with an aeroplane....Harrier GR9 was a beauty.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Come on guys, we want this :D :

HarrierAV-8BGAU-12.jpg

So far it looks like a slim majority want this rather than the GAU-25.

11-harrier-sniper.jpg

... and it'll be useful for the F-15E when it is released.

Thanks for the explanation Vampyre, that should have really been on page 1 as well. Anyway, since Zeus mentioned they wanted to do an AV8 with radar when ED had ground radar ready finally. I think it makes sense to do GR7/9 and then save the AV8 for the radar version as a later development.

Arguably one of the most iconic British aircraft of all time, up there with the Spit and Lightning, it seems a little unfair to do an American derivative before a British one, but I'm obviously biased and would fly the f**k out of it anyway.

• ED Team

Ultimately, I don't care what version of the Harrier we get. It would be more important to me to be able to land anywhere to rearm/refuel, like roads, fields, etc. I don't want to force a Harrier to land at a placed FARP to do near-frontline rearming.

Of course, I wish helicopters could do that also, or Su-25's/A-10's using a highway for the same purpose, but I digress...

The one exception would be I would prefer the GR3 Harrier if it came with a Falkland Islands campaign with appropriate AI units of that time/theater...and I'd also like a puppy...and a free pizza. :punch:

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

well if we where to get a AV-8B + atm it probably would not have working air-ground radar.

so any AV-8B atm would probably be the 8B NA (night attack) like it says in the poll.

Is still would probably prefer the AV-8B NA over the GR.7 and GR.9 for the reason already stated =P

Being it having been produced in larger numbers and seeing service with multiple nations (USA,Italy and spain) instead of just having that single nation choice.

And the harrier II (Gr.5,7,9) is probably a bit to modern to be that iconic =P.

First production aircraft leaving the line in late 89 and being handed over to units in 90.

It was not even combat ready when the gulf war broke out in 91.

And it actually did not last that long in service.

only about 20 years before being retired.

the AV-8B has already reached 30 years.

Il most likley get either one but i would probably prefer the AV-8B.

And another reason id prefer the AV-8.

[ame]

[/ame]

If F-18C releases before the Harrier then we can declare that to be the first Marine aircraft (fixed wing). :thumbup:

If ... :D

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]