Bluedrake42

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do we see those carets on the video?

Yes, they look like this (with velocity vector in the middle):

>           --O--           <

When he does hard turns the carets disappear at the bottom of the HUD, they reappear when he unloads.

I can see a pipper when he gets a lock on the target aircraft, but it just seems to follow the snake instead of computing the impact point with target parameters. That does not seem right... or is it?

Which part of the video are you refering to? I can see in the beginning he had a piper but he was following in pure pursuit.

What happens in the video for first kill is that he's so close that he uses the gun cross to make the kill.

Check the second kill at 3:10, he starts with gun piper then the piper disappears (distance or unlock), then he uses the snake to estimate lead.

Edited by PiedDroit

Yes, they look like this (with velocity vector in the middle):

>           --O--           <

When he does hard turns the carets disappear at the bottom of the HUD, they reappear when he unloads.

Which part of the video are you refering to? I can see in the beginning he had a piper but he was following in pure pursuit.

What happens in the video for first kill is that he's so close that he uses the gun cross to make the kill.

Check the second kill at 3:10, he starts with gun piper then the piper disappears (distance or unlock), then he uses the snake to estimate lead.

thanks, i can see them now, but i still don't understand how they work

thanks, i can see them now, but i still don't understand how they work

hu hu hu... the mysterious (and trolling) energy indicator...

The carets (> <) indicate the angle (inclination) the aircraft should have to keep its velocity (speed) constant. So, if you align (by pulling aircraft nose up or down) the "velocity vector" (--o--) with the carets (> <), the aircraft should keep its speed. If the carets (> <) is above the "velocity vector" (--o--) , that means that you should pull up to keep your speed constant, and that means that if you don't pull up, you will accelerate. In the opposite, if the carets (> <) are bellow the "velocity vector" (--o--) that means that you should put your nose down to keep you speed constant, and that means that if you don't, you will lose speed.

In theory the carets (> <) show the exact and real inclination angle in the horizontal scale, but in the mirage 2000 the scale is divided by three if i'am correct. So it's little more symbolic, but, that works equally: carets (> <) aligned to "velocity vector" (--o--) == constant speed.

Hope that help.

hu hu hu... the mysterious (and trolling) energy indicator...

The carets (> <) indicate the angle (inclination) the aircraft should have to keep its velocity (speed) constant. So, if you align (by pulling aircraft nose up or down) the "velocity vector" (--o--) with the carets (> <), the aircraft should keep its speed. If the carets (> <) is above the "velocity vector" (--o--) , that means that you should pull up to keep your speed constant, and that means that if you don't pull up, you will accelerate. In the opposite, if the carets (> <) are bellow the "velocity vector" (--o--) that means that you should put your nose down to keep you speed constant, and that means that if you don't, you will lose speed.

In theory the carets (> <) show the exact and real inclination angle in the horizontal scale, but in the mirage 2000 the scale is divided by three if i'am correct. So it's little more symbolic, but, that works equally: carets (> <) aligned to "velocity vector" (--o--) == constant speed.

Hope that help.

Thanks for the clear explanation! this must be usefull in dogfight

Working link here: https://vimeo.com/145223843 :D

The roll seem to be very "steep", "dry" (don't know correct english expression)... i think there is little more inertia in reality, no ?

from work i cant see those videos so i cant see if my video or yours is working.

Yes the roll is too abrupt and the plane stabilizes immediately. It doesnt look realistic but we have to keep in mind that they are still working on it. This beta is a dew days old. They could have not shown it at all and we would have been disappointed. I m sure they ll get it beautifully working before release. They still have more than a month and even at that time it is still gonna be a beta.

you probably have noticed that rudders arent modelled, at least in the cockpit. they are being pushed to the left all the time.

That is correct rudders are operating, but not animated in cockpit yet.

Also roll rate performance and dynamics is something we are working on with our tester, so we definitely know about it. Look up youtube HUD videos for this guy, he can roll very sharply, but I definitely agree we're a little to "snappy" with our rolls!

I'll repeat something I stated on Reddit:

Words can't say enough of how much fun it is to fly. My problem is I'll go at most a few minutes before I find things to fix and work on.

There is always something to fix, improve, or implement. This was a fun video made for the team and we decided to share with everyone. What sucks also, is that after making/watching the video I probably took a dozen things, at minimum, that I needed to work on that have already been improved upon after the video was made.

we are happy to see thie WIP. This thing flies already very very well. i m sure you have done at least 90% of the way and i m glad you share it with us. until it is our of the beta we have nothing to compalin about. I really appreciate your communication policy. Keep it up

Thanks for the video. Looks like a lot of fun indeed. Of course, some things still look like they need some work, but surely CptSmiley and the others know exactly what those things are, so I don't intend to rant about it. I think this is going the be a blast when it's done :)

By the way, are those custom engine sounds? I don't think I have heard them before.

Redacted; I didn't see this new video until now. So far, so good.

Still, I would love to see the moments of touchdown, braking, and nosewheel steering from external views. For science. :)

Edited by rrohde
Didn't see the new video...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Again, I would love to see a ground handling video, that shows nose-wheel steering, braking, taxiing, and landing (including roll-out, braking, taxiing to parking) from external views. This would certainly shine a light on the EFM process you guys have made, as it should include A/C weight and friction.

he does land in the end of the video and taxi the bird till parking position.

he does land in the end of the video and taxi the bird till parking position.

Roger that. Didn't see the new video and I thought the discussion was about the one posted previously. My bad.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Instant roll does indeed look unrealistic, they need to model in some momentum in the roll axis.

Thought the same. There's is no inertia shown as of yet. Also, the landing gear seems to come out too fast compared to what I saw in "Sky Knights". ;)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

What is more important is that we are out of SFM woods. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Good catch, just watched a few takeoff videos and got it timed right...was a small detailed we knew we had to get correct but easy enough to resolve. Thanks!

Since I have your attention, CptSmiley - could you make a clip that focuses on external views and showcases the behavior of the landing gear under braking, as well as nose wheel steering with full rudder deflection? I am very interested in seeing how that EFM affects ground handling from outside the cockpit. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Since I have your attention, CptSmiley - could you make a clip that focuses on external views and showcases the behavior of the landing gear under braking, as well as nose wheel steering with full rudder deflection? I am very interested in seeing how that EFM affects ground handling from outside the cockpit. :)

I cant imagine that this top priority for flight simmers. Behavior of the gears when you break ? Very nice to have but there are for sure more urgent topics

I cant imagine that this top priority for flight simmers. Behavior of the gears when you brake [sic] ? Very nice to have but there are for sure more urgent topics

Depends on where the respective simmer's interest lies. We all share the same hobby, and being amazed by the realism these devs achieve is definitely my interested. Love this stuff. :)

PS: Bought the M-2000C as soon as it was announced and cannot wait to fly her.:thumbup:

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

No problem, I'll add that to the to-do list, while we are pretty happy with ground handling we are working out the finer configuration parameters of the suspension system to get it just right. I'll try to make a more featurette video of ground stuff once we make those improvements.

I really appreciate that, CptSmiley! :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thought the same. There's is no inertia shown as of yet.

Keep in mind that:

- as CptSmiley said, the M2000 is a beast in roll

- FBW counters inertia, by "exaggerating" control surface movement in the transition phases (when you go from neutral to max roll input, and back)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mud, wind and fire.

Keep in mind that:

- FBW counters inertia, by "exaggerating" control surface movement in the transition phases (when you go from neutral to max roll input, and back)

That was my thought initially as well, that the FBW system would dampen that behavior. But does it do it to the extreme that it looks as if it were "on rails" as shown in these clips?

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com