Bomb pipper V 1.5

speckfire

Ok, would be really nice to see an illuminative track from you guys, maybe this will teach me the way you do it. I tried to reproduce it but the only way was with a really hard dive bomb of 60 degrees where my bombs hit the target at the point where the pipper was during release. Thats near the point the Stukas used without any electronics.

Edit: I started my dive at 3000m and dropped at 1500m without a moving pipper. I have for sure not enough routine on the 21 but I it seems difficult to make a safe recover under 5G when dropping later.

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could you be so kind to upload a track when you had the time for additional tests?

Well... DCS just froze 3 times in a row when I clicked quit to save the track. So I ragequit. Tried dropping Fab-250 and 500 in AUTO+GYRO mode with the fixed beam on.

The pipper sure behaves like CCIP. Only kicks in at a closer distance and aims several metres short of the target. Aiming gets very inaccurate at steep or vertical angles of dive. Shallow angles of dive (under 35 deg)work the best for me now.

My problem is that don't really know how the pipper is supposed to behave in this mode of bombing. So I was hoping that Finger might add some clarity.

Edited by Harle

Well... DCS just froze 3 times in a row when I clicked quit to save the track. So I ragequit. Tried dropping Fab-250 and 500 in AUTO+GYRO mode with the fixed beam on.

The pipper sure behaves like CCIP. Only kicks in at a closer distance and aims several metres short of the target. Aiming gets very inaccurate at steep or vertical angles of dive. Shallow angles of dive (under 35 deg)work the best for me now.

My problem is that don't really know how the pipper is supposed to behave in this mode of bombing. So I was hoping that Finger might add some clarity.

This would perfectly match with my findings one post above. Use a very steep angle and it's more like WW2 bombing :)

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For bombing you must have bomb charts,where

you can to find required data.

Speaking of bomb charts. I couldn't find them anywhere in the real manual. Neither did I see any info on whether it makes sense to perform bombing in AUTO+GYRO mode :(

Only MAN+CC was mentioned (the mode that is supposed to be used according to bombing charts).

Edited by Harle

I'm aware that the ASP-3NMU is a different gunsight but according to ED's manual of the L-39 bombing is conducted with the sight in "fixed" mode instead of "gyro".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm aware that the ASP-3NMU is a different gunsight but according to ED's manual of the L-39 bombing is conducted with the sight in "fixed" mode instead of "gyro".

MAN+CC is that very "fixed" mode that IRL manual prescribes for bombing in Mig-21.

But out of idle curiousity I'm wondering how the pipper shoud behave in AUTO+GYRO+B mode.

My wild guess is that it should move just like in AG gunning/rocketing, thus being useless for bombing. But that's just a guess waiting to be confirmed or refuted.

Here's a track and a video of me bombing tanks with the Pipper in CCIP mode:

So while the reticle is stuck first, it starts to move up when you get close enough to release the bombs.

As you see, precise bombing is very much possible. If it's possible in real life - don't ask me, but finger and other "experts" said no. I don't care, I like to bomb things precisely.

My piloting sucks, that's why I exceeded the G-Limit by quite a bit. Maybe if you dive steeper, you can actually climb out sooner and don't have to pull so many G's.

Mig-21 CCIP Bombing.trk

Thanks for your work. Nice bombing runs. As you said the G-Load was a bit much but I have seen what I was interested in...

First of all the pipper started to move, thats a correct statement and I can not finally judge on this.

It will take some time for me to do some tests on the weekend but the intersting thing happened during your last bombing run in the video.

You pickled the second bomb after the pipper has moved above the target, to be exact the target is nearly at the outer ring of the pipper but you bombs are hitting in front/direct at the target.

My assumptions would be in descending order

1. Your bombs hit the target because of your steep and fast dive to the target. Even with a completely fixed gunsight the bombs would have been near or on the tanks. Thats the way it was done before the little electronic toys came out.

2. In fact there is still some kind of CCIP integrated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So while the reticle is stuck first, it starts to move up when you get close enough to release the bombs.

As you see, precise bombing is very much possible. If it's possible in real life - don't ask me, but finger and other "experts" said no. I don't care, I like to bomb things precisely.

My piloting sucks, that's why I exceeded the G-Limit by quite a bit. Maybe if you dive steeper, you can actually climb out sooner and don't have to pull so many G's.

Just as I said. CCIP still remains.

And while you are happy to have it, many advocates of realism (like me) are not. So I'd like to see someday a CCIP check box in the simplification options for Mig-21. So that I could disable it just like AA heat seeking pipper.

Just as I said. CCIP still remains.

And while you are happy to have it, many advocates of realism (like me) are not. So I'd like to see someday a CCIP check box in the simplification options for Mig-21. So that I could disable it just like AA heat seeking pipper.

I second that.

I third that.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Is it really possible to have such a low speed of 400 or 500 km/h when dive bombing at 50°... I doubt anyone would know. Guess they wrote it just for lulz.

Thanks for the tables, Finger!

DSCN1822.thumb.JPG.4013f20c22c458e6ea5f023cd0dcd2ac.JPG

Edited by Harle

What does "bomb loft" mean? Does it have something to do with toss bombing?

"Aiming angle" is the value for the manual correction knob on the right of the ASP, isn't it?

Hi,

Yes,its a distance from moment of drop,to moment of impact.

Yes,its aiming angle scale on the right side of ASP head.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it really possible to have such a low speed of 400 or 500 km/h when dive bombing at 50°... I doubt anyone would know. Guess they wrote it just for lulz.

Thanks for the tables, Finger!

[ATTACH]124173[/ATTACH]

Bombs charts are about bombs characteristics,not about MiG.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Yes,its a distance from moment of drop,to moment of impact.

Yes,its aiming angle scale on the right side of ASP head.

Someone should make those tables into a kneeboard page. Might give it a go when I get home.

Edited by Nerd1000