DCS Mirage 2000C Discussion

Bluedrake42

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFM, AFM+, PFM are all EFM, unless they are done by ED, in that case, they are whatever they are :P.

EFM simply means External Flight Model, and how 3rd party developer programmed it / how much data was available to them.

Personally, while I'd prefer ideally all to be PFM level, I would be absolutely fine with a well done AFM level too, so long as it's not SFM I'm ok.

Yes, I'm fine with AFM level as well. It's a question I hesitate to ask, partly because the differences seem a bit murky, even if there is the official post that explains the different concept.

I own both the A-10A and A-10C modules (haven't flown them a lot). The A-10A is AFM and the A-10C is PFM, but they really feel the same to me.

Mostly I was wondering if the Razbam AFM is the EFM or if it was developed through a separate pathway given their experiences with FSX/P3D.

Like most, if it is not SFM I'll be happy with it.

-Nick

AFM vs SFM, which one is better?

The differences between the AFM and the SFM is as follows:

The AFM provides better control to the developer of the aircraft characteristics, with the SFM you surrender all control to the SIM.

BUT!!! and there is a very important one:

Aerodynamically speaking, a really well done SFM would be indistinguishable from an AFM.

In the M2000C case, at this moment it is flying with the best SFM that we could achieve. Her flight characteristics, and that means a lot of graphics curves at different regimes collectively known as drag polars, are as close as possible to the real aircraft. That also includes engine performance as well. Our AFM developer, an aeronautic engineer, created this SFM.

Now that we have that SFM, for development purposes and to establish a base against which we can test everything, we are developing the AFM. The AFM takes more time to develop and fine tune, since it gives us total control of the aircraft.

So, yes. At this time we are flying with a SFM but eventually we will have our AFM, which right now is in early alpha stage.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

The AFM provides better control to the developer of the aircraft characteristics, with the SFM you surrender all control to the SIM.

Aerodynamically speaking, a really well done SFM would be indistinguishable from an AFM.

In the M2000C case, at this moment it is flying with the best SFM that we could achieve. Her flight characteristics, and that means a lot of graphics curves at different regimes collectively known as drag polars, are as close as possible to the real aircraft. That also includes engine performance as well. Our AFM developer, an aeronautic engineer, created this SFM.

Now that we have that SFM, for development purposes and to establish a base against which we can test everything, we are developing the AFM. The AFM takes more time to develop and fine tune, since it gives us total control of the aircraft.

So, yes. At this time we are flying with a SFM but eventually we will have our AFM, which right now is in early alpha stage.

That explanation is more than suitable to me! Can't wait for the release, and please put up the pre-sale soon so we can all throw wads of money at you guys!

For Sale, French Mirage, dropped once, never fired... (hope we have humor here...)

Well if you drop a Mirage, I don't think it will be in a functioning condition anymore unlike some rifle ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The difference between AFM and the SFM....Well,

Think about this: Is there any stability characteristics such as dutch roll mode or roll mode or spiral mode which you can test in SFM?

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

It's not that complicated

When you know about it, yeah, you're right. If I were a new customer and I saw all these terms applied to different product (yet all mean the same thing) I would be bamboozled, bamboozled I tell you.

In the M2000C case, at this moment it is flying with the best SFM that we could achieve. Her flight characteristics [...] are as close as possible to the real aircraft

[...]

Now that we have that SFM [...] we are developing the AFM.

From a page ago guys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In some very specific cases, the inclusion of AFM makes a big difference. I'm mainly thinking of ground handling characteristics. I could see noticeable differences between the pre-efm F-15/Su-27 and its post-efm counterparts. This is part of the reason why so much work is being done on AFM for current SFM aircraft like the Hawk and the C-101. It can make a big difference in specific scenarios... maybe less noticeable during normal flying operation. But the minute you go near the borders of the flight envelope or trespass them, this is where AFM really shines.

I'm glad you guys are working on it: take all the time you need. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic product if it's up to DCS standards. :thumbup:

Chaff and Flares test. Unfortunately only the flare is visible. :(

11958192_880603652026274_89631773897843349_o.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."