DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

If you create a profile for the gbu12(pages 554 and 555 in manual), during that process you will select ccrp, turn autolase on, set timer and then save. When you want to use the gbu12 you would first select the dsms page (OSB14) then the profile page (OSB1) page 510) select the gbu 12 and hit activate profile. (OSB 17). When you select the weapon from the dsms page alone it will load in default mode without the profile you have set up.

Edited by Blooze

I just tried it and indeed selecting weapons on DSMS activates the default profile instead of the one I created. Didn't know that. DMS left and right however, selects my custom profile, I can tell by the name displayed on the HUD.

Which proves once again that there's more than one way to skin a cat.:thumbup:

Good point! Always(!) Select a profile and not the weapon stations on DSMS. Multiple reasons. If you select a weapon on DSMS you will notice a leading M/ in front of the profile name, indicating that you just created a temporary M'anual profile. All the things you setup earlier are gone for the temporary profile.

Quick step by step:

- change existing or create new profile on the ground if you know attack profiles, already from the briefing

- if in air hold short of the AO set EAC/autopilot to ALT and circle to change the profile settings.

- to chose a profile have HUD as SOI (Throttle Coolie Hat UP short) and use the DMS right/left to cycle through profiles.

Train yourself always to use the profiles unless in an emergency/quick reaction, example profile in CCRP with autolase and you need to dive bomb immediately and switch to CCIP and select a GBU to lase manually immediately after release...

Why profiles then? Well, you can preprogram different profiles for the same weapons and quickly select them, e.g. one profile Rocket single shot and one profile ripple pairs count 14 or a CCIP LGB profile no autolase, ballistic trajectory and one with CCRP and 15sec autolase normal.

Now with a load of 6 or more Mk82 you can prepare a multitude of release profiles, from pairs over single bomb to sticks of ripple 6 in a row, all with different escape maneuvers, to adjust the HUD symbology, accordingly.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Inflight just requires you to fly straight and level, plus it takes forever...

Whatever you may think of it, ground alignment is what you want... Unless it's scramble time.

Take into account that not only some guided bombs work with GPS, but the whole navigation, position calculation, DTS height information. A badly or misaligned EGI affects other systems and unless there is a good reason not to do a ground alignment I would do it every time.

If you ask to "save" some precious time to get into the air, have a look at DSMS weapon profiles, program Maverick EO timer, LASTE wind correction settings, prepare SADL groups, configure TAD, set flight plan waypoint switching to manual etc.

There is plenty of stuff you can do, while aligning.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah, I fly mostly mp though, and since that can mean quite a few restarts due to interception and whatnot, I just like to be flying as much as possible.

Since most of the checklist stuff I can do in flight, if I can align en route as well that works for me.

The automatic 'cheat' quickstart is just a pain to use online due to the crazy amount of time it takes to do everything. And sitting through it 5 times in a session gets annoying, especially since you basically just have to go AFK while it does its thing. The whole reason I learned manual was to speed up the process as much as possible.

For as far as I can tell, everything worked fine. Navigation seemed perfectly accurate, CCIP/Guns/CCRP as well as LGB and maverick all seemed to work flawless after in flight alignment.

I'm really just wondering if there is anything that I'm overlooking, any disadvantage that is actually modelled into this alignment process.

Btw, does it even really force you to fly it level? I assume that is the requirement in reality but it didn't give me any issues when I manoeuvred quite a bit during alignment.

Btw, does it even really force you to fly it level? I assume that is the requirement in reality but it didn't give me any issues when I manoeuvred quite a bit during alignment.

I suspect there's currently no downside gameplay-wise.

I'm not an export on in-flight alignment, but in an SP campaign mission where the airfield is under mortar attack, I took off from the taxiway as soon as the engines were up, and after a couple minutes of going after the mortars with guns my navigation system seemed to be fully aligned.

For the sake of simulation, I would normally try to fly straight and level during in-flight alignment, though.

But as shagrat said, there are so many things to do that I rarely have to wait for ground alignment anyway, be it SP or MP. But I don't usually frequent public servers where there's a high(er) risk of getting shot down by some pesky MiG pilots every couple of minutes; maybe then I'd try to speed the process up as well (or rather look for better servers/missions :music_whistling:).

I'm not so sure... misalignment would affect the GPS position info. So you usually will find out when targetting stuff and height info comes from a different place on the map...

Inflight alignment may work if you fly loopings and what not, yet it would ruin the precision, I guess?

Not sure if that is modeled, though.

Shagrat

Inflight alignment may work if you fly loopings and what not, yet it would ruin the precision, I guess?

Not sure if that is modeled, though.

That's the point, I think degraded precision is not modeled, though I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who actually knows this stuff finds the time to answer - or someone just does some crazy airshow-style-aerobatics-in-flight alignment and checks whether his GBU-38 hit anything afterwards. :D

I think I even remembered taking off halfway through the ground alignment without serious issues, so yeah I don't think this aspect is modelled too well/at all.

The only key system that lacks with an un-aligned nav seems the EAC, but there are probably more I'm not aware of.

If I get around to learning GBU38s I'll see if any lacking accuracy is modelled.

When you move during ground alignment you get an EGI degraded on the status page, so it is at least recognized.

IIRC that will prevent GBU-38 drops, as no accurate position is available. The direct effects on flying and maneuvering is negligible, but navigation might be a bit off... IFR approach may be a bit challenging.

I always try to "get it done right", as we never know when things get more detailed and give you a headache.

Just think of recent introduction of piston engine explosions... Guess, some guys had a bad day finding out the available MW50 and motor management suddenly matters? :D

Someday Belsimtek starts modeling EGT for the Huey a lot of people will be surprised how quickly you cook off the lubrication and damage the shaft. ;)

So my advice is, try to it correct, even if not modeled, or anticipate a bit of unlearning bad habits, if things get implemented.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Why there is not any information about Autolase false? I already know that it appeared when laser can not delivery bomb to a target, I already know how to reset it. But I don't know how to predict these conditions and succeed with every drop of a bomb?

1.thumb.jpg.a67f9e70ff75992a7324d59db028a620.jpg

Why there is not any information about Autolase false? I already know that it appeared when laser can not delivery bomb to a target, I already know how to reset it. But I don't know how to predict these conditions and succeed with every drop of a bomb?

Your TGP is not started yet. You just switched the TGP on, maybe? It takes the TGP about 3 minutes to spool up and be operational.

To activate the TGP after it is ready press OSB 2 on the right MFCD where it says A-G for Air to Ground mode.

Shagrat

Your TGP is not started yet. You just switched the TGP on, maybe? It takes the TGP about 3 minutes to spool up and be operational.

To activate the TGP after it is ready press OSB 2 on the right MFCD where it says A-G for Air to Ground mode.

I think I have found reason and solution.

I flew according to a tutorial to learn laser bombs. Targets of the tutorial are - to hit Oil station with GBU-10 (that I always succeeded) and to hit 5 armored targets with GBU-12 (I managed to hit 1 or 2 before getting autolase fail).

I concluded that I easily hitted the first target because I always got there from the same direction according to the route of the mission. And I tried to hit armored targets from different directions and often got autolase fail which appeared immediatly after releasing a bomb.

So it became obvious that I have had to consider wind and drop bombs along one radial (don't know how to check wind in dcs), also I increased laser time from 10 seconds (according to the tutorial, not sure why it should be 10) to 12 seconds and as a result I have hitted all the targets !

So autolase fail - is the info that bomb can not be delivered to the target for some reasons (wind, insufficient laser time etc.) IN order to reset it - it is necessary to press OSB (11 or 16 ? bottom right) on the right MFCD and to make you weapon profile active again (on the left MFCD).

taiyang

You can find wind data on CDU strinfo page (UFC func + 0 )

Tried to drop some LGBs with 50 m/s wind fom different directions and with autolase time 8 and 15 seconds : they didn't hit the target, but there was no autolase fail error either, so wind is not the root cause.

So autolase fail - is the info that bomb can not be delivered to the target for some reasons

Don't think that A-10 computer can do such suggestions after bomb release because there is no datalink between it and released bomb.

56216745_dcs2015-05-0414-51-09-97.thumb.png.8c701786232758d09d4e2c87f1cf717e.png

Edited by electro_monkey

i5-9600K / RTX 2060 / 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 / Win10 x64 / Cobra M5 (BRD)+ Gametrix ECS / Opentrack

Please upload the MIZ file here or link to it... I would like to check that mission... Sounds strange, as wind isn't that much if a problem... Ah, by the way, you do lase the target to update the elevation/distance before bomb release?

Shagrat

I'll try in a couple hours when back at home and report back.

Shagrat

Please upload the MIZ file here or link to it... I would like to check that mission... Sounds strange, as wind isn't that much if a problem... Ah, by the way, you do lase the target to update the elevation/distance before bomb release?

Sorry, I could not upload as it is an attachment to paid magazine.

http://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1039&category=Tech+%26+Gaming&subcatid=244&subcategory=PC&title=PC+Pilot&titleid=190&issueid=96971

As I understand the systems - I do not lase.

May be the issue is not the wind directly, but the plane stability.

taiyang

You can find wind data on CDU strinfo page (UFC func + 0 )

Tried to drop some LGBs with 50 m/s wind fom different directions and with autolase time 8 and 15 seconds : they didn't hit the target, but there was no autolase fail error either, so wind is not the root cause.

Don't think that A-10 computer can do such suggestions after bomb release because there is no datalink between it and released bomb.

I think A-10 computer suggests based on the calculated bomb trajectory. That is why autolase fail appeares immediatly after releasing a bomb.

Anyway that is the point that missed in manual.

I'll try to check that. I rarely use autolase, but I suggest it shouldn't be much more difficult to implement, than normal CCRP delivery with manually activating the laser.

Shagrat

shagrat, please find attached. I know that I should lase the target before release, but don't do it due to bad habit:)

If you manage to hit the targets, please upload a track.

Well, we were talking "realistic" scenarios, not "How much wind can you set to make flying impossible".

If you manage to start and land the plane from Batumi, I'll try hitting something with LGBs or whatever... The problem in that mission is Wind is set to 50m/sec something like 90kts plus! :megalol:

Took ma a few seconds to notice, as you made it a tail wind... after setting EAP to circle and nearing the shore quickly,though...:D

Shagrat

shagrat the purpose of this mission was just to check if the wind can affect autolase fail error:) But after you said

wind isn't that much if a problem

I thought that it's possible to hit the target even with such wind and I'm just doing something wrong:megalol:

i5-9600K / RTX 2060 / 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 / Win10 x64 / Cobra M5 (BRD)+ Gametrix ECS / Opentrack