AvioDev C-101 Release Announcement

Tango

What about people who are happy with an SFM+ASM plane, and want to pay less?

I remember one of the posters from VEAO saying a real life Hawk pilot had flown the Hawk SFM, he was very impressed with its flight dynamics.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about people who are happy with an SFM+ASM plane, and want to pay less?

I remember one of the posters from VEAO saying a real life Hawk pilot had flown the Hawk SFM, he was very impressed with its flight dynamics.

They were impressed because they had not yet the chance to test the AFM. :o)

I bet, they would be even more impressed by the AFM.

No no no ... the only criticism here is about the idea to release SFM independently from the AFM version, as separate products with separate prices.

Instead the suggestion is: release with SFM with the promise for a free update that implements the AFM later. One product, now SFM but later AFM, one price (AFM price, ofc). --> less confusion, less organization hassles but still asap cash flow.

^ This. I have to agree seem to be the simplest, quickest and most logical path, and provides some cash flow required by the dev.

I really don't see the point of SFM any more (acknowledging that SFM leads to an earlier release date initially). However, I'm sure most of us fly DCS because of the more detailed system modelling and higher fidelity flight models on offer.

The release of the Hawk backs this up. VEAO have canned the idea of going SFM first in future. Apparently very few bought the SFM version for starters and those who did no doubt were planning to do the upgrade later on. The Hawk is a great aircraft, but boring to fly at the moment IMHO. I've had a play with it, but will wait until the AFM version is released before I take it out of the hanger again.

No no no ... the only criticism here is about the idea to release SFM independently from the AFM version, as separate products with separate prices.

Instead the suggestion is: release with SFM with the promise for a free update that implements the AFM later. One product, now SFM but later AFM, one price (AFM price, ofc). --> less confusion, less organization hassles but still asap cash flow.

Tango this is what we mean!

What's next? A third version of the aircraft without the clickable cockpit? Even cheaper? What VEAO is doing with its Hawk is a mistake, which I hope they'll correct as soon as possible, other modules shouldn't follow their example. It's going to be hard to properly communicate, support and handle all these flight model differentiation and probably will be more trouble that it's worth, my guess is ED might enforce unified versions down the road on such modules.

Not to mention I don't think SFM is there to catter for the poorer or the less dedicated or the more casual players. I think it's just there because it's easier to develop and faster to get it playable, if coding and tweaking an AFM/EFM/PFM (ugh..) was as easy and cheap to develop as the SFM I doubt there would be any debate at all and AFM/EFM/PFM would be the default and only flight model.

On top of that I bet there's a lot of people, including me, that want to support 3rd party devs early on but who absolutely aren't interested in SFM and as a result cannot support these 3rd party devs who chose to release SFM early on for that specific intent. Ironic. I could be wrong, but DCS World is one of the very few hardcore sim out there in a market that is full of more casual games, please don't take it away from us, it's one of the lasts sim/study sim bastions.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What about those players who only use the game mode with external views? They don't need all that fancy cockpit stuff!

I guess we got our point across.

No all our modules will be EFM only going forwards, this was a call that we made after the experience with the Hawk and the small number of people that ordered the SFM variant.

Pman

What's next? A third version of the aircraft without the clickable cockpit? Even cheaper? What VEAO is doing with their Hawk is a mistake, which I hope they'll correct as soon as possible, other module shouldn't follow their example. It's going to be hard to properly communicate, support and handle all these flight model differentiation and probably will be more trouble that it's worth, my guess is ED might enforce unified versions down the road on such modules.

Not to mention I don't think SFM is there to catter for the poorer or the less dedicated or the more casual players. I think it's just there because it's easier to develop and faster to get it playable, if coding and tweaking an AFM/EFM/PFM (ugh..) was as easy and cheap to develop as the SFM I doubt there would be any debate at all and AFM/EFM/PFM would be the default and only flight model.

I fully agree with you!!!

Better to have one full version of every module, not two or three versions of every module.;)

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also it will be kinda strange if two people with SFM and EFM/AFM will on the same plane will do a dogfight, one side will have the advantage over the other on the same plane.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys, let them do what they want but speak with your wallets. They will either figure it out, or they will not. In either case, I am sure the next 3rd party to come along will figure it out.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Guys, let them do what they want but speak with your wallets. They will either figure it out, or they will not. In either case, I am sure the next 3rd party to come along will figure it out.

I have to disagree , tango has been extremely involved with the forum community , and voicing your concerns/opinions here will do good imo. But ofcoarse what you say about voting with your wallets is also true , as proven by this :

No all our modules will be EFM only going forwards, this was a call that we made after the experience with the Hawk and the small number of people that ordered the SFM variant.

Pman

edit : but i think providing feedback via forums is a good thing becouse voting with your wallets can be ineffective given how spread out DCS world is becoming (plane/era wise) , not everyone is interested in every module and so might not show their opinion on the matter regarding said module.

Edited by McBlemmen

I should have prefaced that statement with something like...

'I think the point has been made, and with the VEAO situation, which Tango should be much more familiar with than the rest of the team, it should already be abundantly clear.'

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I should have prefaced that statement with something like...

'I think the point has been made, and with the VEAO situation, which Tango should be much more familiar with than the rest of the team, it should already be abundantly clear.'

Well we know VEAO has learnt from their mistake. PMan has said in an interview they will not be doing the seperate SFM / AFM thing again (was in a podcast).

So clearly AvioDev haven't been paying attention.

As always, we don't comment on other developers. :)

I don't understand what cichlidfan is talking about. We have released exactly zero products. What other developers choose to do or not do is not our concern, though of course we are watching what happens closely - that is just standard business practice. :)

This discussion is starting to look like it is approaching the event horizon.

If we haven't made it clear yet:

* We are releasing SFM now to prevent delay caused by AFM development

* We are still discussing whether to offer SFM & AFM, or AFM only, once the AFM is ready

Just to really throw the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons - if you know how to edit a few files, then you can disable AFM, and edit the SFM such that you can still cheat and fly a rocket if that is what you want to do. :P Before you get too worried though, we will implement measures that will make this harder to do.

Best regards,

Tango.