Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Im searching the Oculus Forums, but from talking to people on other sites, it seems the Update doesnt like AMD GPUs.

I'm not sure if the DK2 problems being reported are AMD related. I'll know soon enough as I'm running Nvidia.

If Wags could install the runtime 0.4, SDK and firmware update it will tell for sure.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems they will release soon a new SDK to fix or try to fix the true black smearing

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10924&start=40

That does seem to be the major issue people are seeing. It might not be so bad in dcs but games like elite dangerous must really suffer.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• ED Team
I'm not sure if the DK2 problems being reported are AMD related. I'll know soon enough as I'm running Nvidia.

If Wags could install the runtime 0.4, SDK and firmware update it will tell for sure.

I updated to the new runtime and firmware and it did indeed break DCS compatibility. I've asked our engineer assigned to this to look into it.

Edited by Wags

how are your eyes after hours of use?

have you some difficulties to focus after long use?

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

how are your eyes after hours of use?

have you some difficulties to focus after long use?

Given that some of you are now getting your DK2s, I thought this might be of interest.

1- As much as possible, you will want to maximize your frame rate, 75 FPS min if possible. However, given the current res of the DK2, I could not notice too many visible changes after backing off my graphic settings. You’ll want to play around with your settings to find your best balance.

2- Cockpits with a lot of dramatic geometry look best. I’m particularly fond of the Su-25T, UH-1H and F-86F.

3- Some HUDs seem more readable than others. For instance, I can read much of the HUD indication on the Ka-50 HUD. Others, not as easily. Aircraft like the F-86F, P-51D, Huey and Hip work very well given the lack of a busy HUD.

4- While the res is much better than the DK1 spotting targets is still almost impossible. I realize it’s a sin, but you may want to consider labels… I do!

5- After spending hours in the DK2, I have yet to feel at all unwell. This is compared to the DK1 that would give me headaches and nausea after just a few minutes.

6- The 6 DOF support really shines in DCS. The sense of presence is outstanding.

7- I now have a perpetual sore neck after doing several ACM flights. I’m tempted to attach a couple of grab handles to my monitor that I can grab on to in order to more easily check six! You get a much better sense of the fight geometry with the Rift.

8- Landing are a breeze now. You get a much better sense of speed and altitude.

9- After centering the view at the start of mission (KP 5), I never had to re-center.

10- Using a HOTAS, I very rarely had to press a key. When I did, I was able to easily look through the vents to find the needed key.

11- We are using predictive tracking and TimeWarp.

Fun times!

Thanks for that quick writeup Wags, sounds like it will be great fun, and luckily I only tend to fly the UH1, MI8, P51 and now the F86. So it sounds like I'll be able to get a lot of of the rift. I was expecting that spotting targets may be a struggle though, I can't even spot them on a full tri monitor system now. :)

Hopefully We can find a fix for the DK2 comparability soon.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I updated to the new runtime and firmware and it did indeed break DCS compatibility. I've asked our engineer assigned to this to look into it.

Thanks Wags. Hopefully it is as simple as recompiling and doesn't require any code adjustment. It does look like Oculus are also working on a fix.

And what about the A-10C, it's working as well ? Can't wait to get mine on monday.

HAF X - CM SPG 800W - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 - i7 2600K @ 4,6 - 8GB Corsair Vengeance CAS8 @ 1600 - Gainward Phantom GTX 770 2GO - Samsung 830 128 go (DCS A-10 on it) - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1To

4- While the res is much better than the DK1 spotting targets is still almost impossible. I realize it’s a sin, but you may want to consider labels… I do!

Are the labels in real 3D with oculus ?

On my 3Dvision config, they still are at screen depth level (2D), that make them barely usable...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Just wondering if anyone has tried this workaround for the DK2, to see if we can get it to work with DCS. It does seem to have some success with a number of games including Elite Dangerous. Sadly still waiting for mine to turn up, so unable to try myself.

Might be a way to fly while we wait for an official fix.

Set the DK2 to ‘Extended Mode’ in the Oculus Config Tool by going to Tools > Rift Display Mode = ‘Extend Desktop to the HMD’

Go to Task Manager > Processes > Scroll down and select ‘wscript.exe’ then click [END PROCESS]

Do the same for ‘OVRService.exe’

Then load DCS World

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Just wondering if anyone has tried this workaround for the DK2, to see if we can get it to work with DCS. It does seem to have some success with a number of games including Elite Dangerous. Sadly still waiting for mine to turn up, so unable to try myself.

Might be a way to fly while we wait for an official fix.

Set the DK2 to ‘Extended Mode’ in the Oculus Config Tool by going to Tools > Rift Display Mode = ‘Extend Desktop to the HMD’

Go to Task Manager > Processes > Scroll down and select ‘wscript.exe’ then click [END PROCESS]

Do the same for ‘OVRService.exe’

Then load DCS World

Cowboy10uk

Doesn't work, the picture is displayed in a vertical way.

HAF X - CM SPG 800W - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 - i7 2600K @ 4,6 - 8GB Corsair Vengeance CAS8 @ 1600 - Gainward Phantom GTX 770 2GO - Samsung 830 128 go (DCS A-10 on it) - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1To

Doesn't work, the picture is displayed in a vertical way.

Have you rotated your rift display in nvidia control panel?

I believe you need to rotate your display, as they are using Cellphone screens that are oriented by default to Portrait.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sorry, in fact it's working. I just needed to unplug my primary display and to plug the rift instead.

The feeling is there, this way better than DK1 but the details remain to low to be playable. I can't read anything on the hud, even if I lean toward the screen. I'm still not sure that CV1 with 1440p will be enough.

But it's fun for flying around, I almost feel like i'm in it.

Edited by Mathiew

Sorry, in fact it's working. I just needed to unplug my primary display and to plug the rift instead.

The feeling is there, this way better than DK1 but the details remain to low to be playable. I can't read anything on the hud, even if I lean toward the screen. I'm still not sure that CV1 with 1440p will be enough.

But it's fun, I almost feel like i'm in it. But it's fun for flying around.

The issue now is the OLED Screen in DK2 has less sub-pixels..

1440p would be the minimum. I don't think 1080p is enough.

Maybe with the "Large Font HUD" Mod on 1080p, but I doubt it.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Oh noo...!!!

I've waited for the first dcs+dk2 impressions and hoped that it would sound better...

The developers said themselves, this is for development use only. Hence why I restrained myself from getting DK1, DK2. I'll wait until the final specs are reached. :thumbup:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Low-persistence OLED is already very good, now things will get proportionally better as resolution increases.

Here's a back of the envelope calculation to estimate the perceived visual acuity you get in the Rift:

20/20 vision with the Snellen chart is defined as being able to see the bottom row of letters, the line width of which are designed to subtend 1 minute of arc, or 1/60 of 1 degree, in your FOV, from a calibrated viewing distance (20ft is usual, but if your optometrist has a smaller office, it is different). Each line of the bottom row of letters is about 1 minute wide in your field of view, so if you can distinguish between the different letters it's assumed your eyes can distinguish at least that level of detail.

Given the horizontal field of view of the DK2 at 100 degrees, you can take the horizontal resolution of 1080 and divide it by that much. 1080/100 = 10.8, 10.8 pixels per degree is your result. Remember that with 20/20 vision, you can discern detail down to 1 minute of arc, or 1/60 of 1 degree in your field of view. In the case of the DK2 you only get 10 pixels of detail per degree, not 60. So you can say that your vision is 6x worse than 20/20, or 20/120. The pentile arrangement of pixels in the Rift would also make this slightly worse in comparison than if it were RGB, because you have less subpixels making up each pixel, but that's another story.

Note that this result is independent of your actual vision. It is also assumed that your eyes are getting the most out of the Rift that they can.

The result: you are close to legally blind in the 1080p Rift. And, remember, the FAA guidelines mandate that private pilots have 20/40 or better, with or without corrective lenses.

Now if the Rift were 1440p, your vision would get better by 1440/1080, or 33%, giving you 20/90 vision. A 4K Rift? Almost 20/30 vision. 8K? Nearly 20/15, you could be a pro baseball player! Or a jet pilot...

Hope this helps!

On bright side, at least the workaround works. :)

Maybe I'll get flying after all.

Only fly Helos anyway, and they don't have huds. ;)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DK2's are selling for 1200 right now on Ebay,insane.

$1500 Yesterday,

Oculus VR will deal with them.

On bright side, at least the workaround works. :)

Maybe I'll get flying after all.

Only fly Helos anyway, and they don't have huds. ;)

Cowboy10uk

I'm the same. I only fly helicopters in dcs so HUD issues don't bother me. I'd imagine the p51 and Dora will also be flyable. I'm looking forward to my delivery tomorrow.

I'll be firing it up in about 30 mins, to try the Huey and F86

Will report back after my flight

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Low-persistence OLED is already very good, now things will get proportionally better as resolution increases.

Here's a back of the envelope calculation to estimate the perceived visual acuity you get in the Rift:

20/20 vision with the Snellen chart is defined as being able to see the bottom row of letters, the line width of which are designed to subtend 1 minute of arc, or 1/60 of 1 degree, in your FOV, from a calibrated viewing distance (20ft is usual, but if your optometrist has a smaller office, it is different). Each line of the bottom row of letters is about 1 minute wide in your field of view, so if you can distinguish between the different letters it's assumed your eyes can distinguish at least that level of detail.

Given the horizontal field of view of the DK2 at 100 degrees, you can take the horizontal resolution of 1080 and divide it by that much. 1080/100 = 10.8, 10.8 pixels per degree is your result. Remember that with 20/20 vision, you can discern detail down to 1 minute of arc, or 1/60 of 1 degree in your field of view. In the case of the DK2 you only get 10 pixels of detail per degree, not 60. So you can say that your vision is 6x worse than 20/20, or 20/120. The pentile arrangement of pixels in the Rift would also make this slightly worse in comparison than if it were RGB, because you have less subpixels making up each pixel, but that's another story.

Note that this result is independent of your actual vision. It is also assumed that your eyes are getting the most out of the Rift that they can.

The result: you are close to legally blind in the 1080p Rift. And, remember, the FAA guidelines mandate that private pilots have 20/40 or better, with or without corrective lenses.

Now if the Rift were 1440p, your vision would get better by 1440/1080, or 33%, giving you 20/90 vision. A 4K Rift? Almost 20/30 vision. 8K? Nearly 20/15, you could be a pro baseball player! Or a jet pilot...

Hope this helps!

The flip side is they also hope to increase FOV which will further reduce pixel density and make the perceived resolution worse. As a matter of interest what does a typical set of NVGs end up at on the Snellen scale?