The Art of the Kill (BFM)

Stuge

Buried to chit-chat?

The main point of this was to give new FC3 pilots some help with BFM. This just means less people will find it... I don't think I've ever even bothered to look here :D

About the video.. between 17 and 18 minutes, the very crude failed turn demonstration that the audience laughs at, I think it is pure genius from that guy. No one has ever shown it better, what NOT to do in a dogfight :) And still people do it way too often.

With their turns they set themselves right in front of the bandit (instead of the other way around)

EDIT: Thanks for leaving the link there :) I'm sure this info could help many..

Edited by Stuge

Is there one for BVR combat? I have no problem dogfighting but in BVR I always die, thanks

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

;2108975']"now that your behind him.... shoot em!" :D

I have a firm grasp on that part. It's a few of the steps before that can be problematic. ;)

There are also the original Falcon 3 videos here.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This tends to be one of two things, or both:

- Lost sight (don't ask me how :D )

- Don't know what to do. In particular, they believe that reversing turns is somehow good. It's not*. It solves everything.

* Generally speaking. There are situations where you absolutely should reverse the turns, but usually not when you're out in front of the bandit.

About the video.. between 17 and 18 minutes, the very crude failed turn demonstration that the audience laughs at, I think it is pure genius from that guy. No one has ever shown it better, what NOT to do in a dogfight :) And still people do it way too often.

With their turns they set themselves right in front of the bandit (instead of the other way around)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ah Pete Bonnani... the quintessential 80's fighter pilot, with his mustache and bare chest :thumbup:

Don't forget the tailored flight suit. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

LOL:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

- Don't know what to do. In particular, they believe that reversing turns is somehow good. It's not*. It solves everything.

* Generally speaking. There are situations where you absolutely should reverse the turns, but usually not when you're out in front of the bandit.

That is one thing (reversing turn direction when it is not really needed, all it does it makes the bandit's job easier)

There's others:

Starting a turn before the merge, letting the bandit just casually follow you into it for the kill :D

More subtly, ignoring the effect of lateral/vertical separation during the merge. If one turns left, another turns right(one circle fight), or if both go up in the vertical, the one with (significant) separation advantage can blow the other one up with a gun snapshot when the planes meet after the half circle. Very fast way to deal with the threat too!

Edited by Stuge
Corrected terms to make it more clear

I will be dogfighting USA_Starkey tonight, it will be my first dogfight vs a person, but i'm sure i can answer all you guys questions after it.

I wanted to go right now, but he had some lame excuses like: "it's 4 am i'd like some sleep please" or some nonsense like that. I'm sure he's just scared.

:noexpression:

Going in the 104th now, i'll only bring aim9's , see how that goes :megalol: Wish me luck rofl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good luck, dogfighting other people is great fun. Personally I find BVR boring, frustrating and more about luck. When I go on a multiplayer server I always look for people willing to go guns only :)

Plane of choice = Su-27 :P

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Good luck, dogfighting other people is great fun. Personally I find BVR boring, frustrating and more about luck. When I go on a multiplayer server I always look for people willing to go guns only :)

Plane of choice = Su-27 :P

Psst.. I'll give you a su27 dogfight any time i'm around.. Just find me on 104th ts ;)

Moustache man lifts.

That's why it looks his suit is "tailored" . It's not. He's not "huge" , but without a shirt on i bet he looks pretty ripped.

Well, at least for the 80's .

I worry about some people!

:helpsmilie::lol::music_whistling::megalol:

Falcon 3.0 Handbook PDF Format

I just watched this, never have before.

While what you can cover in an hour is limited... I got some new insights from it :) Plus that it's actually entertaining to watch. Enjoy!

The Art of Kill book in PDF Format ................ http://www.mediafire.com/view/mh91gdpn6jfezm7/THE_ART_OF_THE_KILL.pdf

131 Pages of great reading :book: :thumbup:

More manuals and goodies here .............. https://sites.google.com/site/falcon4history/files :smilewink:

Enjoy

Cheers

Edited by WRAITH
  • Like 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

The bit about the turn elbow was interesting. The only problem is that it requires a lag pursuit, which means that you can't get your guns on them surely, unless you anticipate, lead, then lag pursue at elbow???

The elbow is probably the control zone. You can't always have a CZ (a fighter that turns better than yours will deny a CZ, though you can stay in a CZ-like place for a little while).

The point is to be patient, drive to the CZ, and then you are in control of the fight. This is why it's called the control zone. You can now taking a tracking shot, or just stay with the bandit. Lead/lag/pure is all about getting into and staying in the CZ. The guns are really a part that comes after you're in control.

Of course, if you're overshooting like mad or you're slow and you just shoot into and out of the CZ, you can't make use of it.

But once you're stable in it, you can do anything you like - you're saddled up and the bandit's only hope is for you to make a big mistake.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I find BVR boring, frustrating and more about luck.

BVR is a science... being good at it has nothing to do with luck.

BFM is earned through BVR, its not a given right flying online (or in RL).

You should try to learn more about BVR if you find it boring as it is far from it, although getting shot down BVR over and over would get a bit boring I will give you that!

If you fly online with the public there is no point in being brilliant at BFM and no good at BVR, like I said, BFM is earned... not given!

Being amazing at BFM and lacking at BVR is like showing up to a gun fight with a black belt in karate... and no gun!

Doesn't matter how good a ninja you are if you get shot before you get close enough to do any damage!

Guns only is a fantasy best left for specific gunzo servers ... try to find it in a highly populated public server and you'll be plagued by disappointment.

Remember.... being good at BFM means nothing if you cannot even get to BFM alive! Like it or not... BVR has to be dealt with properly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

BFM is the very basis of BVR. You learn BFM first, then BVR - good BFM means good BVR.

On the other hand, the very vast majority of people who claim to be good at BFM actually aren't, and the reason they don't know this is because they have no metric to compare to. If you don't know why you're good/bad at BFM ( ' I get lots of kills in BFM!' doesn't count. It just means others are worse at it at best ) then you'll have a tough time knowing why you're good/bad at BVR.

You'll have an even worse time knowing if you're good/bad at either of those as a team as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]