DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Exactly! Fly until you have the pipper on target. Engage PAC1 to steady the pipper on the target, don't fight it. If necessary readjust and press again or abort. When the range circle is at 6 o'clock watch distance closely and depending on target fire a 1-2 sec burst and evade.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

This is from the old A manual but its hard to imagine the capability is degraded in the C.

1zya8uw.png

I'd have to do some focused testing to verify how much of the above would be relevant to our DCS product however.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

^ I've been noticing this too actually- at least I keep trying to make minute corrections and find it quite difficult. I end up settling In Without PAC and then try to capture pac1 once I'm already on target. Then ride the train to the full trigger. The trick is in making that dive as short as I can so I'm not THAT easy to shoot down though with the new Davey Crockett Ground vehicles even an ability to time warp into a different dimension would result in a face full of ground fire and having my plane cut in half longitudinally.

Btw- awesome info in that image... I'm going to have to hunt that down. Love reading up on that stuff (while retaining roughly 3% of it)

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Its in the -34, non nuclear delivery, for the A-10A. Its on Scribd I believe. Full document designation is in the picture.

Lots of cool info in there, a lot of it clearly out of date, but lots principles that hold true.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77591

This is a clear explanation, I thought.

Credit goes to the OP, strange how the manual wouldn't include something like this. Just be careful with it and start paying attention to the "random numbers on the HUD" as I once considered them.

Really does seem like you learn something new every day

Edited by Zee Pet
  • Like 1

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

I did a two hour start-up, one hour flight and half hour shut-down tonight.

First of all during the flight I accidentally pulled out the left engine fire t-handle which immediately shut my left engine off. I have no idea how to do engine restarts so I just moved the left throttle handle down to off then up to idle then max again and that worked well initially. After a while I believe there may have been some strange flight behaviour but it might have been the wind. Did I do something wrong above?

On the ground I also had an issue I’ve never had with nosewheel turning being very slow which made me slide into the dirt a few times. Is there anything that can cause nosewheel turning to become delayed and sluggish?

Also if you slide off the runway and on to the grass how come you stop dead? Can the wheels really not handle soft ground at all?

Anyways, next I have numerous questions about the start-up. I used the T.O. 1A-10C-1 start-up sequence.

9th Shrek Air Strike Squadrons checklist is basically identical but conveniently condensed:

http://www.shreksquadron.org/documents/checklists/9th_Shrek_A-10C_Checklist.pdf

1. First of all steps 9-11 of the pre-flight check of the left console tell you to “VHF/FM OFF/Set”, “UHF ON/Set” and “VHF/UHF controls OFF/Set”. What does Set mean in this context and why are you supposed to turn UHF on at one of your first order of business way before you even turn on the battery? It won’t actually start up until much later.

2. Second I can’t find the “emergency disconnect lever” which I’m supposed to depress to apparently disengage SAS and maybe even Anti-skid?

3. Third you are shortly thereafter supposed to “Speed brake control - Set to centre (HOLD) position if speed brakes open; set to closed position if speed brakes are closed”. Is this possible in DCS? If I understand correctly you are supposed to do this using the switch on the throttle but doesn’t it return to centre unless held down?

4. Fourth in the pre-flight check of the right console you are supposed to an OBOGS PRICE check and the first check is for pressure to be between 55 and 145 psi and before taxiing you are supposed to do another OBOGS PRICE check against 25 to 40 psi, but my oxygen supply psi is always around maximum… what’s that, 500 psi? Why so high?

5. Next is still in the pre-flight check of the right console and this time it’s the head switch that has to do with environmental control I can’t see anywhere. Supposed to be off. I’m also curious if flow level control or temperature level control do anything in DCS.

6. Next I’m supposed to set the HARS controls… I don’t have any idea where there are any “controls” for HARS.

7. Finally before engine start I’m supposed to “Colour Cockpit Television Sensor (CCTVS)/DVADR remote control panel” off and verify DVADR off… one of the first things I did was turn DVADR off on that black box on the bow after being instructed to “CCTVS/DVADR remote control panel” off earlier. First of all is the CCTVS “remote control panel” indeed that black box? If so then why are they telling you to turn it off two times then check that it is certainly off?

There are more crazy CCTVS/DVADR instructions later on.

8. Next is “prior to engine start” after testing the oxygen indicator when I’m supposed to see “OBOGS PRESS LOW” on the caution lights panel but I’m not seeing it and the oxygen supply pressure is still sky high as ever.

9. Next is when I’m turning the inverter off and testing it. When off several instrument panels stop showing anything and one of them is supposed to be “oxygen quantity”… but to me that stays up on 5 whatever the unit is. It did drain during flight though so the needle wasn’t stuck or anything.

10. Next is when I’m doing the second OBOGS test and I’m supposed to press some OBOGS MON TEST button that is supposed to start a Master Caution and OBOGS FAIL caution light for ten seconds. I’m not seeing it anywhere.

11. Next is before taxiing when I’m supposed to check the air refuelling door. Where it at?

12. After that I’m supposed to set EXT TKS to WING/FUS and check the pressure or something but it’s not changing at all.

13. Next I’m supposed to turn on TACAN and ILS… isn’t that a bit early? Are they supposed to be on but muted during flight? They make a lot of noise.

14. Next is when I’m supposed to “check” pitot tube heating. How do I do that? I switch it on, nothing happens, I switch it off.

15. Next is when I’m supposed to verify DTSTAS data… is that even necessary?

16. Next is testing IFF on the MFCD STAT page, which does not seem to be possible at all in DCS. Correct?

17. Next is that I’m supposed to switch to HARS mode, check the HSI, ADI and see the HUD mode change but nothing is happening and CICU isn’t even on yet… what’s up?

18. Next I’m supposed to set the “DVADR remote control panel” to STBY… does that mean the black box on the bow? Doesn’t make sense to set it to standby after having spent so much work making sure it is off during pre-flight check and then turning it on and setting it to REC before taxiing.

19. Next is the CMSP bits. How to?

20. Next is during a flight instrument check when I’m supposed to check ADI movement somehow and sync HARS if necessary. How?

21. Next I’m told to engage SAS despite it already being engage (before taxiing step 46). Why?

22. Next how do you set the altimeter properly? Would be more helpful set to 30 than 3000 when the airport is 30 feet high.

23. And finally: exterior lights, again. Still don’t understand.

In these instructions you are told to set the throttle master exterior light switch to aft early during the pre-flight check but before taxiing it simply says “exterior lights – as required”.

During landing the landing light is supposed to be as required and after landing as required (I would use taxi lights), then position lights bright/flash and anti-collision off.

What I’m missing is what they should be set to when taxiing to the runway, before going up in the air if there’s any change and what they should be set to during flight if there’s any change until landing. Also what are they supposed to be set to during landing?

The manual only really tells you what the lights are supposed to be set to when taxiing home basically.

Other than that the near 400 steps are quite clear.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

This comprehensive checklist based on real world documents has all the non-normal and emergency procedures included. This includes single engine restarts under all conditions. It also omits a lot of utterly pointless stuff that you wouldn't even pretend works in DCS.

In an order mostly reflective of the order you asked them, with a few skipped our out of order, here are my best answers to your questions:

Non paved terrain in DCS is like tar. The only way off of it without rotary wing assist is if you never lose momentum. If you find you're going to end up on the grass push full power to keep your speed up. Once you're on it and stationary you're not getting off.

UHF radio is the only radio that is powered by the Battery and Inverter, the other two require an engine driven generator to energize them. You would use the UHF radio to request start up clearance. Set means you've set the frequency for radio check. In practical terms this also means your UHF radio will still work if you lose both engines in flight while waiting for APU to spool up.

Emergency Disconnect level is the big looking paddle on the reverse side of the stick that overlaps the pinkie button area. You can set this control in the HOTAS menu and there is no way to activate this control with your mouse.

Speed brake switch is spring loaded to the centre position I believe. Releasing either forward or back snaps it automatically to the hold position. I don't remember how the speed brake test works, but I think part of it involves the MRFCS panel. 476 checklist does include this check I believe, though I never do it.

I never do oxygen checks. This test is largely fluff in DCS.

Environmental systems are not modeled beyond having the green oxygen lever on to prevent hypoxia I believe, though I've never experienced it owing to never having forgotten to have my oxygen on.

Never touched HARS myself in a start up, as far as I know its automatically on until you engage EGI. There are some settings for the magnetic declination I believe for the region you fly in, but again its pretty much not needed. I'm not sure how robust its simulation is either if you were to try to use it to its full extent. The controls are aft of your ILS on the right console.

7. None of these things are modeled as far as I'm aware.

Air refueling door is on the outside and I imagine that is one of the checks the Crew Chief does. The handle is on the left front console, looks kind of like a tongue. Its on the inboard side of the same panel that has your engine fuel system controls. The light to indicate the door is open is on the right side of the HUD.

TCN and ILS can be turned on at your discretion but usually no longer than needed for a purpose and not before configuring for take off I believe except for preflight testing. TCN could be needed for flying a documented departure procedure using DME and bearing indications on your HSI. ILS wouldn't be needed except on a landing, but I believe a robust safety procedure would be to set the local ILS ahead of time sot hat if you do you have an in flight emergency you would have it ready to go and not need to mess with it while fighting an engine issue or something similar.

Pitot heat tube test would again likely be something the Crew Chief checks. There is no indicator inside the aircraft for it being on or off other than the switch itself.

Stat page tends to not have any meaningful function to us during start up. You can ignore it except perhaps when diagnosing problems. IFF is also not functional in DCS.

HARS should be on automatically when you activate several systems. CICU should be turned on early. Delaying it this long makes no sense.

Never done a CMSP bit. Never had to, though once or twice I've had issues with my pods being detected by them. Can't be sure if that was from a bug or from random failures.

Again, ignore HARS.

SAS could be disengaged because you pressed the Emergency Disconnect Lever after previously activating it.

You set altimeter to local baro pressure. ATC in DCS gives a setting nobody would use normally. You want the pressure setting to make your altimeter read actual MSL elevation. You can most easily accomplish this by setting it at the threshold of the runway you're taking off from. DCS includes documents that cite runway information that includes this.

As far as I understand it there is not necessarily a set in stone SOP for exterior lighting and it varies from squadron to squadron or by airfield. Setting the pinkie switch on the throttle determines one of three modes for exterior lighting. The aft most position should set lights to "panel" setting, this means all switches in the cockpit will set it rather than the other 2 preset modes of either all off or with nav lights steady and formation lights at I think 40%.

The procedure the 476 uses is nav lights to flash as soon as you power on the battery. Taxi light on when taxiing. Configuration for runway entry is nav lights to steady, anti-collision strobe to on, Landing Lights on. If night time set formation lights as needed. Other exterior lights as needed, for instance you might turn the nose illum or the nacelle lights on for greater conspicuity at night and I believe they use it in real life to aide the boom operator during night AARs.

However, lighting can be done how you want it unless you're pretending you're entering FAA airspace or something at which point you might be able to find some document to aide you in figuring out what to use.

For a comprehensive and thorough but not terribly fluffy start up you can watch this video.

It shows the most formal way of interpreting the 476th checklist. In practice though most people don't do half of it, I think Eddie was just showing off the fullest extent of it for the video, though he is a lot faster with things than I am. In real life though start up would be even shorter owing to Mission Data Cartridge setting up a lot of the things he messes with. Notice also how a lot of the things you ask about he will plainly ignore. I dont' think he even thinks about HARS in that video.

I hope you can interpret which questions I was answering btw. :P

Edited by P*Funk
  • Like 1

One thing about the plane get stuck on grass/unpaved grounds. The plane has a normal takeoff weight of about 15 tons, make that up to 22, 5 tons max, even completely empty it is about 10 tons! On grass it is standing on three wheels, the front wheel about the size of small car wheel... in addition the wheel do not connect by any kind of transmission to the engine, like in a car, so you even push the nose down into the ground when revving up the engine! Don't expect to roll over anything but asphalt or concrete.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

One thing about the plane get stuck on grass/unpaved grounds. The plane has a normal takeoff weight of about 15 tons, make that up to 22, 5 tons max, even completely empty it is about 10 tons! On grass it is standing on three wheels, the front wheel about the size of small car wheel... in addition the wheel do not connect by any kind of transmission to the engine, like in a car, so you even push the nose down into the ground when revving up the engine! Don't expect to roll over anything but asphalt or concrete.

A-10 was designed to operate out of undeveloped air fields. Pretty sure its rated for at least some kind of dirtball.

Nevertheless the reason it gets stuck has nothing to do with reality but the game engine being silly.

Well, "improvised airfield" is not simply some harder soil, let alone grass. Depending on humidity you would need a really tough dirt track or mattings that provide a secure surface where you won't sink in... a "normal" plane couldn't even start from that, because of the risk to suck any dirt or wood into the turbine and an even worse track width for the undercarriage. Gives a higher risk to topple the plane on uneven ground... just my two cents.

In the SIM basically everything depends on the SIM handling it, rather than what is real.

I found the results are quite believable.

Shagrat

You can still land it on those unpaved roads though, at least its not FSX's wonky ground physics. Remember how you can't taxi with a-symmetrical thrust? IMO, DCS is portraying soft ground in an albeit annoying, but believable way. I have used those roads to my advantage against friends a good couple times, the sides seem slightly drivable, not like falling of the taxiway on the other airfields. Who knows, could be changed I guess, but why its so low priority in the grand scheme of things. Would make for some interesting mission building though if we could get improvised runway objects :)

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

This comprehensive checklist based on real world documents has all the non-normal and emergency procedures included. This includes single engine restarts under all conditions. It also omits a lot of utterly pointless stuff that you wouldn't even pretend works in DCS.

In an order mostly reflective of the order you asked them, with a few skipped our out of order, here are my best answers to your questions:

Non paved terrain in DCS is like tar. The only way off of it without rotary wing assist is if you never lose momentum. If you find you're going to end up on the grass push full power to keep your speed up. Once you're on it and stationary you're not getting off.

UHF radio is the only radio that is powered by the Battery and Inverter, the other two require an engine driven generator to energize them. You would use the UHF radio to request start up clearance. Set means you've set the frequency for radio check. In practical terms this also means your UHF radio will still work if you lose both engines in flight while waiting for APU to spool up.

Emergency Disconnect level is the big looking paddle on the reverse side of the stick that overlaps the pinkie button area. You can set this control in the HOTAS menu and there is no way to activate this control with your mouse.

Speed brake switch is spring loaded to the centre position I believe. Releasing either forward or back snaps it automatically to the hold position. I don't remember how the speed brake test works, but I think part of it involves the MRFCS panel. 476 checklist does include this check I believe, though I never do it.

I never do oxygen checks. This test is largely fluff in DCS.

Environmental systems are not modeled beyond having the green oxygen lever on to prevent hypoxia I believe, though I've never experienced it owing to never having forgotten to have my oxygen on.

Never touched HARS myself in a start up, as far as I know its automatically on until you engage EGI. There are some settings for the magnetic declination I believe for the region you fly in, but again its pretty much not needed. I'm not sure how robust its simulation is either if you were to try to use it to its full extent. The controls are aft of your ILS on the right console.

7. None of these things are modeled as far as I'm aware.

Air refueling door is on the outside and I imagine that is one of the checks the Crew Chief does. The handle is on the left front console, looks kind of like a tongue. Its on the inboard side of the same panel that has your engine fuel system controls. The light to indicate the door is open is on the right side of the HUD.

TCN and ILS can be turned on at your discretion but usually no longer than needed for a purpose and not before configuring for take off I believe except for preflight testing. TCN could be needed for flying a documented departure procedure using DME and bearing indications on your HSI. ILS wouldn't be needed except on a landing, but I believe a robust safety procedure would be to set the local ILS ahead of time sot hat if you do you have an in flight emergency you would have it ready to go and not need to mess with it while fighting an engine issue or something similar.

Pitot heat tube test would again likely be something the Crew Chief checks. There is no indicator inside the aircraft for it being on or off other than the switch itself.

Stat page tends to not have any meaningful function to us during start up. You can ignore it except perhaps when diagnosing problems. IFF is also not functional in DCS.

HARS should be on automatically when you activate several systems. CICU should be turned on early. Delaying it this long makes no sense.

Never done a CMSP bit. Never had to, though once or twice I've had issues with my pods being detected by them. Can't be sure if that was from a bug or from random failures.

Again, ignore HARS.

SAS could be disengaged because you pressed the Emergency Disconnect Lever after previously activating it.

You set altimeter to local baro pressure. ATC in DCS gives a setting nobody would use normally. You want the pressure setting to make your altimeter read actual MSL elevation. You can most easily accomplish this by setting it at the threshold of the runway you're taking off from. DCS includes documents that cite runway information that includes this.

As far as I understand it there is not necessarily a set in stone SOP for exterior lighting and it varies from squadron to squadron or by airfield. Setting the pinkie switch on the throttle determines one of three modes for exterior lighting. The aft most position should set lights to "panel" setting, this means all switches in the cockpit will set it rather than the other 2 preset modes of either all off or with nav lights steady and formation lights at I think 40%.

The procedure the 476 uses is nav lights to flash as soon as you power on the battery. Taxi light on when taxiing. Configuration for runway entry is nav lights to steady, anti-collision strobe to on, Landing Lights on. If night time set formation lights as needed. Other exterior lights as needed, for instance you might turn the nose illum or the nacelle lights on for greater conspicuity at night and I believe they use it in real life to aide the boom operator during night AARs.

However, lighting can be done how you want it unless you're pretending you're entering FAA airspace or something at which point you might be able to find some document to aide you in figuring out what to use.

For a comprehensive and thorough but not terribly fluffy start up you can watch this video.

It shows the most formal way of interpreting the 476th checklist. In practice though most people don't do half of it, I think Eddie was just showing off the fullest extent of it for the video, though he is a lot faster with things than I am. In real life though start up would be even shorter owing to Mission Data Cartridge setting up a lot of the things he messes with. Notice also how a lot of the things you ask about he will plainly ignore. I dont' think he even thinks about HARS in that video.

I hope you can interpret which questions I was answering btw. :P

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!

I already have Snoopy's checklist and some others. They're all a bit different though which is why I wanted to dig down to the source and see how it's really done basically.

I want to see how it's really done and see personally which steps are completely unnecessary before I start cutting them away.

I've already made some notes about which few of the pre-start check steps you actually have to do when the aircraft is set to the default start configuration such as switching the boost pumps.

I still don't understand why you would start UHF before the battery, inverter and so on... but you're saying it would be used for asking start-up permission, from the ATC or something?

You don't have to ask for engine start-up from the ATC though (I believe, despite the possibility existing in DCS) and when asking for taxi and so on VHF/AM is on... is it even possible to contact ATC over UHF?

I've heard you don't have to ask for any start-up permissions until you ask to taxi and by then VHF/AM is on and that's how I always communicate with the ATC.

Indeed CCTVS/DVADR is not modelled to my knowledge. It would be useless since you never exit the aircraft and as such can’t extract the DTC or R-whatever-the-CCTVS/DVADR-chip-is-called on your way out anyways.

Still, in the first campaign mission where you start on the runway with everything on the CCTVS/DVADR is on and I would enjoy turning it on even if it isn’t being simulated.

I also believe the crew chief checks the air refuelling door. I was just curious if I could see it from the cockpit. I’m pretty sure it’s marked somewhere in one of manuals. I doubt I would ever forget to leave it open but apparently it deactivates both gun stabilization and autopilot, so if it was open you could have a lot of issues.

Copy on all the other stuff too.

You do need clearance for engine start!

Shagrat

You do need clearance for engine start!

I heard you simply wave to the crew chief or something such, not call ATC. Bunyap says so in his videos. Maybe you communicate with the crew chief via UHF? >_> I don't know.

Yeah, like that. You need to get everybody around aware that you're going to start some pretty hot and loud turbines ;-)

It won't need the UHF radio, though. If you have a closed canopy or the surroundings are too loud, there is a cable connection the crew chief uses to communicate... HotMIC button on the left aft sidepanel where you set the master volumes...

Shagrat

I just noticed that the flight manual says DIM/FLASH and taxi lights optional during taxi, STEADY/Anti-collision ON during flight and landing lights on during landing.

It doesn’t say if you’re supposed to be on BRIGHT or DIM during flight but I suppose BRIGHT because no other situation seems to call for it.

Then I suppose they should be the same during landing as in flight except with landing lights on and taxi in same as taxi out.

Edit: oops... the big TO calls for BRIGHT/FLASH during taxi home. Not sure what else more.

Edited by Archer7

The formal list will say "do this" and when you go watch a real pilot do it you'll probably wonder why he's ignoring the carefully edited list.

The on call Sandies (CSAR) A-10s in Kosovo would "hot cock" their birds with all switches thrown so they only had to turn battery and engines on to be ready to go. Suffice to say that was probably not part of the vanilla procedures.

I just noticed that the flight manual says DIM/FLASH and taxi lights optional during taxi, STEADY/Anti-collision ON during flight and landing lights on during landing.

It doesn’t say if you’re supposed to be on BRIGHT or DIM during flight but I suppose BRIGHT because no other situation seems to call for it.

Then I suppose they should be the same during landing as in flight except with landing lights on and taxi in same as taxi out.

Edit: oops... the big TO calls for BRIGHT/FLASH during taxi home. Not sure what else more.

From what I've read DIM is only used on airfield near combat zones where light discipline is ab issue to not attract enemy bombers or surveillance? Where as BRIGHT is for regular.

Seems reasonable, but I don't know for sure.

Shagrat

The on call Sandies (CSAR) A-10s in Kosovo would "hot cock" their birds with all switches thrown so they only had to turn battery and engines on to be ready to go. Suffice to say that was probably not part of the vanilla procedures.

Yep, but that wasn't the A-10C with all the glass avionics and computers. Still had the A with HARS and no TGP! With all that loading data from cartridge, aligning INS, etc. you would need external power to keep everything running... or you do much/most after take off in the air if time permits. :-)

Shagrat

Yep, but that wasn't the A-10C with all the glass avionics and computers. Still had the A with HARS and no TGP! With all that loading data from cartridge, aligning INS, etc. you would need external power to keep everything running... or you do much/most after take off in the air if time permits. :-)

Back then no data cart, the only reason we "hot cocked" jets was to give the INS time to align aprox 15 minutes). Basically every morning pilots step to the jets and conduct a normal launch. They then leave all the switches set so all that would happen if needed is we (crew chiefs) run out the the jets, fire up the APU and wait for the pilots to show up.

I meant the A-10C would need external power, because of the new stuff requiring power all the time... interesting question? Could you actually scramble a Sandy-Flight faster with the A-10A than with an A-10C with those tricks?

Shagrat

I meant the A-10C would need external power, because of the new stuff requiring power all the time... interesting question? Could you actually scramble a Sandy-Flight faster with the A-10A than with an A-10C with those tricks?

Sorry but you're confussed. The A didn't have as fancy avionics but it requires some power (APU or external) just as much as the C model.

And C models can be launched much faster than A models because they don't require the time to align the INS.