Are there too many WWII aircraft being planned for DCS?

Raven68

Are there too many WWII aircraft being planned for DCS?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many WWII aircraft being planned for DCS?

• Too many WWII birds. Please refocus on fast mover!
    • Not too many yet. If there is another announcement I may rethink my future in supporting DCS.
    • Nahhh there is never too many WWII planes. Bring them on!!

I hope not...

RRG develops half a dozend WW2 era a/c

VEAO develops half a dozend WW2 era a/c

and now LNS also develops half a dozend WW2 era a/c?

vs.

2-3 more current a/c in the pipeline

If this is the trend now from 2014 onwards, I am out of here soon ...

This quote has stirred a very interesting discussion within the Leather Neck forums. Although there is no announcement on the matter from LN and please dont take this as trying to derail WWII era aircraft, but the question begs to be asked. Is there a feeling the DCS is being over saturated with WWII projects? I would love to get the feel of the community on this.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Maybe I should post my Sopwith Camel then.....

Devs are free to make whatever they want and there are people other there who will buy them.

I for one will get atlest 3 of them..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

DCS world is already the premiere fighter sim platform and there is already a number of WW2 aircraft in development. Moreover developing WW2 aircraft is less complicated then developing an F35 for example with layers of systems integration and complicated flight dynamics. Simpler coding will result in more aircraft variations being released in short amounts of time. So it seems lilkely that DCSWorld will become the go-to platform for WW2 aircraft.

Yep, too many, refocus on modern stuff.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

no, there's not too many WWII birds and never will be, I'd like to see the entire Duxford Collection modelled at some point... the only question being modelled to what quality - too many h/a attempts would be too many

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Honestly, if I wanted another WWII sim, I'd be flying IL-2 (old or new.) DCS isn't even a very good environment for new WWII aircraft right now. But, 3rd parties are rushing to make them because they're simple and well-liked. I have nothing against great WWII simulation aircraft, I'm just not interested in morphing DCS into Y.A.W.N. Yet Another WWII Number.

I play DCS becouse i want a sim that focuses on modern air combat , not WW2 birds.

That being said , as long as the old planes are being developed by a third party dev , i dont see anything wrong with it.

I do feel like there's enough WW2 sims already , though. And seeing how it takes years for single plane modules to finish , i dont see how DCS WW2 is EVER going to finish.

For me personally, I preffer jets... anyone can make whatever they want (and can) but I am still waiting for some more modern jets in DCS standard (PFM & ASM)... when this becomes true I will be happy again

No longer active in DCS...

Too much? "Not yet" ... but ...

I just like more modern stuff better and WWII era aircrafts are more or less pointless to me. Yes, I purchased the P51D and yes, I backed RRGs kickstarter campaign. Why? Because maybe it will be fun - and if it helps RRG it helps DCS and if it helps DCS, it will help me getting my hands on more modern stuff, right?

Well, yeah, sure. But can't we keep some balance then? When VEAO announced their plans for WWII era aircrafts, I thought "Ok, now we have more possible WWII projects than announced modern projects". Fine, whatever. But if (IF!) now even more and more manpower is invested in these that could otherwise produce also modern stuff, then that would be a tendency I would not want to support anymore. I just will not purchase stuff "just to support" some dev team that does not produce something I am interested in. I will get my RRG share, maybe I buy a plane from VEAO, but then I am done.

Tried the free TF-51 last night, and it blew me away. My stomach lifted a little when the wheels left the ground, fantastic feeling of flight. Now I'm really looking forward to RRG Europe scenario.

HOWEVER, if the focus on props is causing significant delays in the supply of a real jet, this is a shame, can't see anyone else doing them outside DCS.

My take on this is that every aircraft added to DCS world is good for the brand. There are aircraft that I would not purchase simply because, for me, they do not interest me. It seems that he WWII aircraft are a way for the companies who are building these fine modules to turn profits right now and the WWII modules will keep them in business so they can make more modern modules when features like A/G radar and EDGE are implemented. Right now there seems to be something within world itself that is slowing the development of the highly sought after fast movers. That is my impression anyway. Correct me if I am wrong.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Beggars can ill-afford to be Choosers. In this particular pond we can but eat the dry pellets thrown lest we starve, all the while hoping for the day when a block of bloodworm makes it into the mix, for then it will be a very happy day indeed!

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As long as we all can choose which module to buy or not..everything is fine. I also like the modern birds more..and they will come sooner or later. I purchased the P-51 a while back..but I am not getting really warm with her..sometimes I just take her for a flight...but no fighting or bombing...I am just not enough interessted to learn all the Avionics and stuff

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

Well if it helps we also have "a number" of modern jet fighters in early development or are talking to modelling teams to create some. We've just not got into contracts or are ready to announce them yet.

We are also looking at another era to develop somewhere in-between WWII and modern day.

As said many times before, the WWII aircraft are very easy to make and quick wins. I.e. make the business more money to re-invest in more complex aircraft.

More complex aircraft can take up to 2 years or more to develop depending on avionics suits, systems, etc. and that's one aircraft.

So to keep the business going we look at other revenue streams.

So hopefully that will keep you going (and guessing) for a while ;)

Chris.

What I think doesnt help and make people impatient is that a lot of them (still) don't understand how aircraft developpment works. I still see comments like :

''Why did he posted new texture screenshot? That time could've been used to code AFM'' ....

A lot don't understand that there can be parallel development and/or multiple teams...

Anyway, I know that modern stuff are still beeing worked on, so for me, not enough old bird!

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

Love the old war birds, I really do. But, I want to be immersed and feel part of that era. By that I mean, more realistic airbases, appropriate ground units, flak guns and search lights etc. Otherwise all we have or will have, is DCS Flying Legends. Which in itself, is no bad thing.

Edited by Axion
typo

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

I completely echo Ells' statements; developing one thing does not eliminate anything else.

One important thing to consider is what the development team are passionate about.

Every aircraft represents an investment of thousands of manhours (yes; even the more simple WWII birds).

While financial motivation is just fine; there has to be more than that in order to ensure the excellence of a product.

Yet another thing to consider is the wide variety of theatres in WW2. There are significant differences in aerial warfare in the Pacific vs Europe in 1944, for example.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Personally I feel the WWII birds are taking overhand. I feel that with the new Il-2 series there will be a lot of redundancy in that era and frankly, I do not expect that DCS will be able to portray the WWII environment as good the next Il-2 generation. DCS has a too borad scope to dig into the details as 777/1C will be able to do. I am not talking about simulating aircraft, which DCS does very well, I mean portaying war as seen from the cockpit, history and generally making a fun and engaging game. So I do expect that my preferences for a WWII expierience will be better covered by Il-2 BoS.

Since 777 will not do them, I was hoping that DCS would cover Cold War aircraft instead :)

IMHO, WWII Birds are just as Complex,

Minus the Flight Controller Logic of the Fly By Wire/Assisted System, you're just replacing complex electrical/computer/software driven systems with Hydraulic and steam driven systems, which can be just as complex to code.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs