Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Guys I have only GTX 650 Ti 2Gb and want to know if Oculus could work with it in DCS (DCS can output to oculus)? I've mapped pretty much all commands into my HOTAS and don't need keyboard anymore.

To my understanding this oculus rift is designed to be an alternative to trackIR and the monitor but I would like to know if there is a centering option or a tracker to be used with it or do I wear it and its configured at default position?? If you have trackIR you'll know what I mean.

Also I'm concerned about wearing it with glasses as I can't see without my glasses. do I get a focus ring or knob to sharpen the image to my eye without glasses or not?

Thanks

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flight simmers with HOTAS. *Or* enough resolution that pointing at instruments with LEAP is enough to activate toggles/switches etc.

LEAP is not an option, or an added value for OR. I already test such a device and I strongly recomend to avoid it, even as gadget. Is just useless, imposible to work with and the precsion is just inexistent... at least their first version of LEAP.

Maybe a version with 3D hand positiong can add some value, untill then... just forget about it.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Well, I've been wondering where this resolution race was going for a while now. I didn't see the point in higher PPI screens for mobile devices (once you get passed 300 it's almost impossible to see a difference anyway). Let's just hope the marketing departments of said companies don't realise this and keep pushing for higher and higher PPI that we can use in HMD's in the near future.

Hopefully they'll get good enough to allow an awesome experience and VR will gain enough popularity to ensure future funding for development of even better optics.

I was just doing some research though and this is what was possible a couple of years ago:

http://displaydaily.com/2012/03/15/microoled-puts-retina-display-to-shame/

A pixel density of about 2916 PPI in a 0.6 inch, full colour OLED screen.

Now this was for military and medical purposes so I don't know how useful it would be for a HMD or how prohibitively expensive it is, but it just goes to show that the technology is already there. It's just a matter of refining it and making it affordable enough for use in consumer products through mass production. The problem is, the need for such technology in the mass market just isn't quite there... Yet. Once average PC's are capable of running games at 60fps and 4k resolutions with all the settings enabled and HMD's are common, the display technology will quickly catch up.

I was thinking that maybe even the consumer version of the Rift won't have enough resolution (it's easier to think in terms of pixels per degree, instead of DPI) because we are thinking in highly detailed cockpits, like the A-10C cockpit, that are high fidelity replicas of the real counterpart.

But in DCS we also have low fidelity planes like the su-25a/t or the a-10a, and they are lot of fun. Maybe is just a question of creating cockpits that, like in the simulators of the 80's and 90's era, are not replicas of the real one but have a resemblance and are designed to fit and be readable in a low resolution screen.

The idea came thinking in demos for the Rift like "Titans of space", that are done taking into account the resolution limitations of the Rift, and the result is that you (almost) forget about the resolution issue while playing them.

People may think that now that we have reached the point of high fidelity cockpits we should not go backwards by no means, but the level of immersion, presence and natural interfacing of virtual reality may be very well worth the trade.

About target spotting, DCS could have a "smart scaling" feature as Falcon 4 has. (I think that even the normal version of DCS should have it because spotting accurately scaled targets on a monitor is not representative of real life capabilities to spot targets)

With the Crystal Cove strapped on can you see out the bottom at all, or around the nose area? I'm wondering if they have considered the need to view the outside world without taking the OR off... Could you get a glimpse of the keyboard while using it?

What about reading text? ie on a HUD...

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Can't really speak about the cove as I've not seen it, but certainly with the dev kit, you can look out of the bottom and see your keyboard, so I would be surprised if that's not still the case.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• ED Team

In addition to talks with Occulus and Valve the past two days, I had 30 minutes with the Valve VR system. I was left speechless. I'll do a little write up of my thoughts this weekend. Oh, and I got two, new DK versions (cannot comment further due to NDA).

What does Valve have in their hands?

Check out this tweets:

o_O!

------------

And finally a way to bring our real hands with us into the virtual cockpit, maybe

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-ces-2014-creative-depth-camera-cube-building-demo-soft-kinetic-3d-print-mount/

In addition to talks with Occulus and Valve the past two days, I had 30 minutes with the Valve VR system. I was left speechless. I'll do a little write up of my thoughts this weekend. Oh, and I got two, new DK versions (cannot comment further due to NDA).

Awww cmon,you cant do that!!!!!! You gotta give us something now!!!!!!:D

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

"By 2015, Valve claims virtual reality headsets will reach 20 millisecond latency, 110 degree field of view, and millimeter-accurate tracking."

Not long now until gaming changes forever ;)

Keep in mind that time operates differently at Valve. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Valve has yet to complete any of their Trilogies.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OMG that is so cool!!! I wish to be one of those luckiest guys on the planet and check Valves prototype. I know it will probably never surface as consumer version, but it shows what is possible with the current state of technology and if the money is not a problem.

I love the way they refer to it as not VR or immersion but rather "presence" where your mind is completely tricked that you are there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I view my screens from about 18-24 inches,

Using a similar focus lens setup as OR with a "Warped/Pinned" Image on screen,

My 24" ASUS as the same screen door effect as the first gen Prototype. (Well, worse actually, way worse) 90 PPI vs 214~ PPI

My 7 Inch Tablet with 320DPI (1920x1200), the SD Effect is Barely visible.

My 7 Inch Tablet, with 400DPI (1440p) I can no longer see the screen door effects. But this Tablet also has Coating on the Screen that the other screens do not.

So if OR Drops to a 5.4 Inch 1080p Screen, it should be OK, but I'm pretty sure on the forums that they are looking into 1440p now.

But the more PPI the better.

Since we're using lenses to magnify/focus the light to our eyes, doesn't the diameter of the lens (and, subsequently, the FOV) affect the resolution also?

Since we're using lenses to magnify/focus the light to our eyes, doesn't the diameter of the lens (and, subsequently, the FOV) affect the resolution also?

My best guess is yes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

With the same display, the more FOV, the less pixels per degree.

Valve is Working with Oculus.
But Oculus is showing the features that they will put in the consumer version, whereas Valve is showing the fruits of their R&D without restrictions, some of them are found in the Oculus' prototype.
Edited by average_pilot

More Dev Kit 1?

He said new version so I am assuming Dev Kit 2/Crystal Cove

i think the DCS brand will be enormously boosted when the Rift arrives in the stores

I agree,this could be huge for DCS

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I think ED should run a sale around the release of OR CV1. Think about it...

People will want to test out the OR and will be trying demos, games, etc... Anything they can get their hands on to experience OR.

Running a sale on say A-10C for $14.99 or heck even $9.99 - people would generally just pick it up just to try out the OR experience. This would create a decent sized influx of cash for ED.

Hopefully some of those people like the experience so much they stick with DCS and our community grows.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

You are 100 percent correct,I have already purchased games I had no interest in whatsoever just to use with Dev Kit 1.With just Dev Kit 1 units DCS A-10 could make 500k minimum.Thats at 20 dollars for A-10,and half the DK1 users purchasing it. And they would absolutely purchase it because there isnt much in the way of a full game experience out there right now.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

i think the DCS brand will be enormously boosted when the Rift arrives in the stores

And Visa Versa IMO, I can't think of many more titles that could put the player right in the moment than FC3. Imagine how the speed will feel with the Oculus and when missiles start flying about I can see it being pretty intense.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

So, further about the Valve VR demo...

I was expecting a simple improvement to the OC DK1 with improved resolution and tracking. However, it was far greater than this: improved resolution and tracking, combined with full 6 DOF, very low persistence, and a very tight demo that showed this all off. The demo took place in a small room covered with unique icons. The camera on the VR goggles would then use these icons for very precise (1 mm) tracking with around 20 ms latency. Centered in the room was about an 8x8 foot rug that defined where the user could move without losing tracking. This allowed the user to actually move around with the VR environment.

While current simulations throw around the word immersion to describe surrounding the user with visual and audio cues, this VR demo illustrated "presence" which Valve defines as placing the user in the VR environment to such a degree that their senses are tricked to think you are actually in the environment. One of the first demo scenes illustrated this for me. It placed me on a small platform suspended hundreds of feet in the air. While my cerebral cortex kept telling me that I was in a VR environment, my "lizard brain" would not let me move off the platform. The sense "being there" was truly uncanny. Later demo scenes showed off the sense of scale, near vs. far fields, and how the proper use of object geometry can really sell the scene. It did highlight that normals and low quality textures can snap you out of the experience.

While the ability to move around in the VR environment was certainly amazing, I'm not sure how well it would translate to the home setting for various reasons. Rather, I suspect VR in the next few years will focus on the seated position. This naturally lends itself well to vehicle simulations such as flight sims, driving games, and space ship games. FPS games will be trickier due to the awkwardness of "foot" movement in the VR environment. The other element will be interaction within the VR environment. I had talks with Valve and OC about this and we have come possible solutions that will require a lot of trial and error.

Every now and again there is a paradigm shift in the entertainment market, I see this happening in the next two years with this level of VR. There are certainly challenges yet to be solved, but everything certainly seems within reach in the near future. We are working closely with OC and we plan on DCS being a "show case" example of what VR can bring.