Inflight Navigation

Here are the promised screenshots.

Setting up a transmitter in the editor:

rlar.jpg

The ARK-UD panel:

n1ou.jpg

The HSI:

v1gm.jpg

One extra tip: If the signal light is on and the HSI isn't showing the course correctly, flip the ARK-15/ARK-UD switch back and forth.

• Like 1

Here are the promised screenshots.

Setting up a transmitter in the editor:

rlar.jpg

The ARK-UD panel:

n1ou.jpg

The HSI:

v1gm.jpg

One extra tip: If the signal light is on and the HSI isn't showing the course correctly, flip the ARK-15/ARK-UD switch back and forth.

Hi Imp can u post a *.MIZ with transmitter set , i have failed to set transmitter , when i switch to ARK-2 or on HSI nothing happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Doh no I did not,

I have tried a vehicle with the first preset freq with no joy.

I tried the UHF frequency (243 MHz) in a vehicle and it worked. I set the modulation to AM and looped the signal. I'm using it in a simple SAR mission I'm working on, I'll post it once its ready.

Very simple to use, Forget all the Test procedures for the doppler, and just go to the Basic Handling section.. Ill explain..

In the Copilot seat, you have your doppler (check the last picture)

Theres 3 options.

XTX Distance

Distance

Track

You will adjust just the Distance and the track..

As an example, you want to fly from Aiport "A" to Airport "B"...

You check in the mision editor or F10 map with the "Ruler" option your Track and distance.

Lets say that theres 50 Km between airport A and B in a direction of 090° (east)

You just set your distance either with the Left botton to 50km for a countdown from 50 to 0 as you get closer to airport B or use the Right Botton to 50.. to get a count from 0 to 50

(remember this is the second number.. not the first XTK Distance)

And the Third number is your Track.. just put 090° there..

Turn the doppler on..

Take off and fly heading 090.. you will see in the XTK Distance option starts to drift either left or right.. this is because of drift wind etc..

If the XTK distance show a deviation of 1km to the right.. you need to compensate to the left.. lets turn your heading to 095° or 100°... this way the XTK start to descrease.

The goal is to keep XTK distance at 0 all the time. this way you will be traveling a straight line.

I recomend using the MI8 English cockpit mod.. so you dont get confused with russian (left and Right)

I dont understand, how do you manage it to have it count from 0 to 50.

If i dial 50 with the right button, ill get 50.So when I fly another 50 km it will add to it and ill get 100.Please explain it to me, a track would be helpful as well.

I dont understand, how do you manage it to have it count from 0 to 50.

If i dial 50 with the right button, ill get 50.So when I fly another 50 km it will add to it and ill get 100.Please explain it to me, a track would be helpful as well.

If you decrease the range with the LEFT button past zero, the flag next to the display will change from вперед (forward) to назад (back) and the kms will stop decreasing and start increasing. Now, as you follow your set course, the range will decrease until 0, the flag will go back from назад to вперед, the the range will start going up again. It's a pretty straight forward system once you figure it out.

Thank you for help guys!

I have encountered another problem, it is impossible for me to arrive at the location i was aiming to.I find myself always a couple of kilometers deviated to the right.

Even when I contact an airport for the heading and set the exact direction in the last option(Track) I'm still deviating.I also tried to press F10 and measure the distance with the ruler tool,makes no difference.

Thank you for help guys!

I have encountered another problem, it is impossible for me to arrive at the location i was aiming to.I find myself always a couple of kilometers deviated to the right.

Even when I contact an airport for the heading and set the exact direction in the last option(Track) I'm still deviating.I also tried to press F10 and measure the distance with the ruler tool,makes no difference.

Subtract 6 degrees it will help greatly. The map is flat and the ruler tool gives erroneous reading. I always find a bearing given by atc accurate though;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Subtracting 6° seems to work, but I also need to subtract 6° from atc bearing, and the distance given by atc doesn't seem to be correct too. That's weird, i will certainly do some more testing with different airports and share the results.

Remember distance given by atc is in nautical miles, distance in the doppler is in kilometers

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

• 1 month later...

I think wolle and Cibit will like this ;). Looks like one of the "ninja features" of the 1.2.7 beta is a new radio set - the R-828. The Ka-50 also uses this device so I'll quote the manual:

The R-828 VHF radio is used for communication with a Forward Air Controller (FAC) and other ground force units. The system provides constant radio communication within line-of-sight and it does not require frequency searching and adjustment. The frequency range is 20 - 60 MHz.
20 - 60MHz means it's actually HF/VHF, but anyway... The radio controls are on the navigator's side of the cockpit, next to the UV-26 countermeasures dispenser control panel:

ne72.jpg

This is how the game starts. The radio set is turned on, the comm mode is on and channel 1 is set. In order to listen to the signal, turn the radio selector knob on the overhead panel to the КР setting (third from the left). In order to change the channel select it with the big red knob and press the tuner button. The tuner light should blink and the new channel will be set. The rest should be mostly obvious.

Now, unlike in the Ka-50, in the Hip you can home onto the R-828 signals using the ARK-UD. In order to do so, turn the ARK-UD to narrow mode (as described here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1901918&postcount=26) and flip the NAV/COMM switch to the NAV (front) position. Now the ARK-UD will use the R-828 as signal source. You will no longer hear the signal in your headphones - if you want to, you can switch the radio knob to РК2 and listen to it via the ARK-UD.

The R-828 channels are defined in the Mods\aircrafts\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\Devices_specs\Radio\R_828.lua file and are by default:

Channel 1 - 35.654 MHz

Channel 2 - 25.675 MHz

Channel 3 - 48.5435 MHz

Channel 4 - 35.6575 MHz

The other 6 are unused at the moment. The radio operates in frequency modulation only. You can set up a transmitter the same way I described it in my ARK-UD post.

Enjoy!

The helicopter war mission using ARK-UD and R-828 ADF homing

I have incorporated the "ninja feature" of 1.2.7 beta discovered by Imp into "the helicopter war" mission. The attached mission is for 1.2.7 beta, and now uses 6 ARK-UD and 4 R-828 channels for ADF homing. The new total of 10 frequencies reduces the likelihood that 2 different units broadcast on the same ADF frequency.

The Hueys are now equipped with flares.

I have not yet carefully tested it, maybe someone has time to do it (mission attached)

The Helicopter War Dec 20 beta.miz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

@Cibit I tried your mission Clandestine Ops and I couldn't get the ARK-UD to work. The HSI-needle did turn, only it was in the wrong direction :/ Worked nicely up until I was going to find the other group which was too hard without the radio. I can provide a track if you want.

@wolle I also tried your mission and it was nice. Only played ~40 minutes but I did do a reinforcement task aswell as some CAS. This is a well made and interesting mission and I also managed to get the ARK-UD to work for the first time. I lost the signal to a couple of groups but I'm guessing it was because they died?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I also managed to get the ARK-UD to work for the first time. I lost the signal to a couple of groups but I'm guessing it was because they died?

Either that, or that group has been taken care of by another chopper (i.e. AI choppers). For example, if you are homing in on a downed pilot, you will loose the ADF signal as soon as the guy got rescued by another chopper...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

@Cibit I tried your mission Clandestine Ops and I couldn't get the ARK-UD to work. The HSI-needle did turn, only it was in the wrong direction :/ Worked nicely up until I was going to find the other group which was too hard without the radio. I can provide a track if you want.

Cheers RagnarDa. I will be getting round to updating the missions I currently have finished.Did you try it with open beta or 1.2.6?

I had gotten well down the road of making a new huey mission providing CAS but the AI doorgunners have made it too easy:music_whistling:

Back to the drawing board;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Very simple to use, Forget all the Test procedures for the doppler, and just go to the Basic Handling section.. Ill explain..

In the Copilot seat, you have your doppler (check the last picture)

Theres 3 options.

XTX Distance

Distance

Track

You will adjust just the Distance and the track..

As an example, you want to fly from Aiport "A" to Airport "B"...

You check in the mision editor or F10 map with the "Ruler" option your Track and distance.

Lets say that theres 50 Km between airport A and B in a direction of 090° (east)

You just set your distance either with the Left botton to 50km for a countdown from 50 to 0 as you get closer to airport B or use the Right Botton to 50.. to get a count from 0 to 50

(remember this is the second number.. not the first XTK Distance)

And the Third number is your Track.. just put 090° there..

Turn the doppler on..

Take off and fly heading 090.. you will see in the XTK Distance option starts to drift either left or right.. this is because of drift wind etc..

If the XTK distance show a deviation of 1km to the right.. you need to compensate to the left.. lets turn your heading to 095° or 100°... this way the XTK start to descrease.

The goal is to keep XTK distance at 0 all the time. this way you will be traveling a straight line.

I recomend using the MI8 English cockpit mod.. so you dont get confused with russian (left and Right)

Guys, I'm having trouble getting the doppler navigation working. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but can't spot it. I have followed the guide, entered the desired course and distance, but when I turn it on to start and fly, the direction doesn't indicate and the distance doesn't change.

Now I might add that the "Doppler Fail" light on the co-pilot instrument panel remains on all the time - even after the five minute warm up time mentioned. So I suspect I's setting something wrong with that.

Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Devrim's English cockpit as well.

Just a quick question before I delve into this. What version are you currently running?

:thumbup:

I'm running the latest release 1.2.7.23803

I have only just tried Doppler navigation with this version - no earlier versions. So I'm unsure if it is something I'm doing wrong, or something that has now changed and Doppler navigation is now broken.

Thanks.