Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

i was able to try the rift also over the weekend, half life looks amazing, but i got a headache when strafing right and left.

i was dissappointed i didnt get to try warthunder, the host didnt have that installed.

i did try strike suit zero...kinda lame experience for me.

titans of space didnt do it for me either, the planets scale was small for me, but it was cool when planets passed by you,

the rollercoaster demo was cool. resolution was bad, but the depth was amazing.. to look down and around... the scale could have been better, but that demo did turn my stomach over

still the 3d effects are amazing, the half life 2 environment is simply amazing.

at the moment i am building gaming seats, my dream is to use it with oculus rift, and DCS Cobra AH-1G...

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD, THAT WAGS IS USING THE RIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so relieved you have the rift in hand and can already see the possibilities and the limitations. I know prudence says there is little to gain from patching in support but the press alone, and coupled with dcs ww2, makes it worth your while. Plus and this is the most important point I can't wait:)

Really is great news. Thank you Matt. Please share more it's very entertaining.

Particularly with War Thunder, I got nausea after less than a minute. However, once I calibrated my IPD, it was better.

Excuse me, but what does the IPD stands for? :huh:

Anyway, thanx for your notices ;)

Some VERY early observations:

1- Having a higher res will be a must for DCS. HUD and other displays would be unreadable.

2- Head tracking latency needs to be improved.

3- Particularly with War Thunder, I got nausea after less than a minute. However, once I calibrated my IPD, it was better. Once I started to get used to it, it was a very good experience and certainly the closest I've ever felt to flying while not in an actual aircraft.

4- Tried HL2 and will be pretty amazing one the res in increased.

Once the res and head tracking latency are improved, I think I will be using this quite a lot!

Matt

I am happy to hear this, because i plan to buy hires version when its available. The only thing i am afraid of is that i use glasses, i have myopia. So i am afraid of getting it worse. I preffer to have better eyes than better immersion.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

While the Oculus Rift seems to be the prommised future, I will just stay still until this technology might get its maturity.

Regarding the immersion into DCS I strongly believe that classic sim-pits are by far much more effective than OR. I can assume also that the fatigue given by OR tracking is higher than the TrackIR or Headtracker... also unwanted. For me, TrackIR is moving quite naturaly compensating side FOV by exponential/custom curves flawlesly.

I just tested another technological wonder, the Leap Motion, which gives me such headaces so I was extremly happy finding a buyer for it. It is a complete nonsense to move your arms in thin air hoping that you might touch something, and having abnormal gestures to achieve tasks.

From my point of view, a touch panel cockpit together with a wide resolution monitor or monitors will remain the most immersive adventure and the least sanity affecting (eyes and brain also). Hardware touching feeling cannot be ever replaced.

Some optimisations regarding monitors configuration, let's say more like FSX style, I think it will be very welcomed if they will come directly from ED.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Inter Pupilary Distance I believe

Oh, thanks. So between the centers of those two images on the display must be the same distance as between your pupils? Sounds logical. What about the distance between lenses in front of your eyes? Those must be somehow tweaked too?

And what about the corrections for the people who have some eye defect? I have myopia too, same as somebody wrote earlier as well as many many others. Maybe it will work as built-in-eye aditional anti-aliasing :D:doh:

Edited by Suchacz

Excuse me, but what does the IPD stands for? :huh:

Anyway, thanx for your notices ;)

IPD = Inter - Pupillary Distance

The distance of the display panel is not as much of a factor, you don't have to adjust for that, but you lose a bit of horizontal FOV if you move the panel away from the lenses.

Eye defects can be corrected in some cases, but it often needs custom lenses for the particular eye, so you can't just make that a software tweak.

Edited by mhe

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Oh, thanks. So between the centers of those two images on the display must be the same distance as between your pupils?

Distance between virtual cameras ideally should be the same as between your pupils in real life. This setting is not about center of images.

I assume you have no experience with the rift?

Since I have had most setups including :touchscreen, full pit, single screen , triple screen, 5 projector cube, and any other setup... I will disagree 100%. The rift is like a portal that really brings a person to a different world, as if the you are really there... No other setup has that effect.

The more time you have in the rift, the better it gets.... The motion vr issues go away with a short period of use. I can do a full f1 race with zero issues.

While the Oculus Rift seems to be the prommised future, I will just stay still until this technology might get its maturity.

Regarding the immersion into DCS I strongly believe that classic sim-pits are by far much more effective than OR. I can assume also that the fatigue given by OR tracking is higher than the TrackIR or Headtracker... also unwanted. For me, TrackIR is moving quite naturaly compensating side FOV by exponential/custom curves flawlesly.

I just tested another technological wonder, the Leap Motion, which gives me such headaces so I was extremly happy finding a buyer for it. It is a complete nonsense to move your arms in thin air hoping that you might touch something, and having abnormal gestures to achieve tasks.

From my point of view, a touch panel cockpit together with a wide resolution monitor or monitors will remain the most immersive adventure and the least sanity affecting (eyes and brain also). Hardware touching feeling cannot be ever replaced.

Some optimisations regarding monitors configuration, let's say more like FSX style, I think it will be very welcomed if they will come directly from ED.

So same problems as in F-35 HMD :D

The same Problems as Nintendo Virtual Boy.. Cept that thing weighed alot more.

The Main issue is that the 1280x800 Screen, when divided between 2 eyes is 640x800.

Some Small text is very hard to make out in DCS, (HUDs, mainly etc).

In iRacing, you can drive just fine, view distance is hindered a lil due to the low res, but for the most part, it's a VERY enjoyable experience. (Mainly because iRacing doesnt depend on 6DoF, and 3DoF works fine in iRacing.) or a HUD.

The 3 Key things Oculus VR are working on now is:

- Higher Resolution Display

- Decreased Motion latency.

- Enhanced SDK

DevKit v2 is supposed to be 1080p, if that's not enough they'll look into 1440p. In an interview earlier this month, they mentioned 4K being very possible.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The problem with a custom built pit is that you have to build one for everyone sim you fly, at a cost of thousands of dollars. Also, unless you have a wrap around screen, you can't look over your shoulder to check your six.

The fact that head movement in TrackIR is restricted to such a narrow band is one of the things I hate most about it. It feels completely unnatural having to turn your head one way and look the other way with your eyes... Then your view starts jerking all over the place when you reach the edge of the sensors limits.

When the consumer rift comes out with reduced latency and higher resolution it will improve situational awareness and immersiveness massively. I absolutely can't wait and am thrilled that Matt is getting hands on time with the development version.

The beautiful, interactive cockpits in DCS seem almost like they were made with this kind of technology in mind.

I can't imagine a better product to showcase the finished 6DoF, HD rift than DCS F/A-18C.

I challenge you to imagine that without getting excited.

Watch this ,World’s First Hands-On With the InfinitEye 210° FOV HMD

http://www.roadtovr.com/infiniteeye-worlds-first-ever-hands-210-fov-hmd-video/2/

A brilliant device. I wish they would be working in cooperation with Oculus, sharing all the knowledge, experience, resources and support from developers that Oculus has already gained, and develop a separated product line. The "Oculus InfinitEye". That could mean having some kind of unified native support in games. Instead they are going to be competence and probably only the Rift is going to be widely supported.

The Main issue is that the 1280x800 Screen, when divided between 2 eyes is 640x800.

I'm affraid, that even 1920x1080 of the customer version won't be sufficient for reading little numbers and text on the hud, radio etc... :cry:

Edited by Suchacz

which is why they are looking at 1440p and 4K resolutions

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

which is why they are looking at 1440p and 4K resolutions

Which shouldn't be much of a problem since the latest 8.9" Kindle is 2560x1600.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Which shouldn't be much of a problem since the latest 8.9" Kindle is 2560x1600.
The question is its max usable size which is imho in horizontal direction little more than 2x IPD, and of course some reasonable price :smilewink:

Early implementation of stereo view. Once the team in Moscow gets their SDK, progress should move forward enabling OR.

Nice. Thanks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: