What do you do for engine nozzle animation?

RedBeard2

I searched the forums for techniques for engine nozzle animation and I've seen some people are animating each individual vane and others have tried to using scaling, but didn't get it to work.

I'm seeing similar issues and wondering if there's a good and simple way to do this. Does anyone want to describe their favorite technique?

Sorry I didnt get a guide done last night, fighting a flu, and stuff....

I didnt want to have to custom animate each feather, so I tried so stuff

For the Current Animation, I Used Bones,

Place One Bone In the Exhaust, and the 2nd link just outside the exhaust, Link the Nozzle to the bones.

Use the 2nd Link, and Scale Up and down, if it scales weirdly, un link the nozzle from the bones and adjust position in or out of the engine more.

I think my 2nd link on my bones is outside of the nozzle.

Also, When using bones, you have to put a bounding box around the aircraft.

Will put up some images tonight If I can get onto my PC.

Also, I Can use the Bones setup, and rotate the 2nd link, to make my nozzle move/rotate like a thrust vectoring nozzle, for what it’s worth

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I searched the forums for techniques for engine nozzle animation and I've seen some people are animating each individual vane and others have tried to using scaling, but didn't get it to work.

I'm seeing similar issues and wondering if there's a good and simple way to do this. Does anyone want to describe their favorite technique?

There are several ways of going about this depending on how sophisticated you want it, but the simplest way is to make several nozzles at varies stages of retraction(and glow intensity in the texture) and then use arg. based visibility to hide/unhide them according to the value steps under the appropriate argument number.

Doing it this way the transition is not as smooth as can be achieved with other methods, but its fairly straight forward and it works.

Personally I think I would use a single nozzle base, divide each "feather" into two or three sections, linking the most rear to the middle one and this to the first - then animate(arg. based rotation) in steps in order to get a smoother transition and a slight curvature of the feathers as they retract.

This is the guide I used to learn bones.

Basically, I Save the Scene as a Separate scene (to experiment with).

Setup the bones, center them,

Select the Exhaust Nozzle, Choose the Skin Modifier, then select the Bones.

Select the second bone, and scale with arg scaling controller.

I also Have the Nozzle moving back using the Position Arg Controller.

ALso, the Aircraft bust be surrounded by a Bounding Box for Bone Animations to work.

So:

attachment.php?attachmentid=88157&stc=1&d=1379555144

attachment.php?attachmentid=88158&stc=1&d=1379555144

attachment.php?attachmentid=88159&stc=1&d=1379555144

Bone_Blended_Non_Scaled.thumb.jpg.dcabd5dff3913b8e460a4c09982fecf5.jpg

Bone_Blended_Non_Scaled_Scaled.thumb.jpg.0ff8d55cc20e4120bf0ed3c1794a022e.jpg

Bone_Scaled.thumb.jpg.39a5f6ad78119d78927078d9221f603c.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The bones method seems to work reasonably well once I figured out how to position everything.

However, the bounding box remains a bit of a mystery to me. I can create a dummy object with TYPE = "bounding_box"; but it is completely square, with quite a bit of open space above and below the aircraft. I tried using a regular box to get a closer fit to the aircraft, but the exporter didn't like that. Is there something else I should try?

Skate, you gave me a great idea for hydraulic lines used on retracting landing gear. Cheers!

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD