DCS WWII: Europe 1944

Also going to work on adding some more attractive backer rewards.

I think this would make a big difference. You've been very generous with the initial 3 flyables but there's probably a lot of people on $40 who would kick in more if there was another flyable at the $100 level. Similarly those at $100 might well be willing to kick in some more for the same kind of thing and who aren't interested in things like hard copies of manuals. Right now I don't see enough of an incentive to kick in higher amounts except for those people who really want to support the vision. A bit of a change to appeal more to the group of people who weigh up what they're getting back would probably reap dividends.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think we might need to shuffle things about a little bit.

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

Also going to work on adding some more attractive backer rewards.

Just do it! :D

+1000

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

+ a million on that :thumbup:

EDIT: B17 Oh s.. devorse is near... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I'm starting to think we might need to shuffle things about a little bit.

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

This is a great idea! I think the B-17 in DCS quality will attract many players even from FSX.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I feel bad about saying this, but I think it really needs to be said.

Luthier needs to show us more videos. I'm not talking about small talk in the local coffee shop... I mean Artwork, WIP, anything concrete that stimulates our fertile imagination! I understand he appeals to the passionate flight simmers that we are, but he needs to look further and convince other people by showing concrete examples (pictures and videos, please!) of what these guys are capable of. The current project presentation and fighter collection videos are nice, but they're not gonna cut it. Not by a long shot.

I don't think that many people are interested in knowing how much these guys love aviation. We all know it. Other people probably won't care. RRG studios need to show us incentives to buy this one!

Hey Luthier,

how about this for an idea (if DCS will play). Kickstarter could do with a shove and perhaps, when it hits target and gets off the ground, if $100+ backers immediately get a free download of the $40 DCSW P51D, which they are eventually going to get free anyway, they can play with it in DCSW so they can start to get an idea of what it will be like and start to build a player community (DCSW is free to download in its basic form).

That might push up the $100 backer numbers. There are atm about 600 backers below $100, 400 in the $40 bracket. Lets say 50% 'upgrade', that's another $12,000 in the $40, $2,000 in the $50 and $500 in the $75. Total $14,500, a useful boost equal to 360 more $40 backers.

I don't think you could push it to the $200 backer level but moving up from a $40 to a $100 backer is really going to help the project and the extra $60 backing gets you immediate access to a DSCW/DCS WWII aircraft. The $50/$75 backers would win hands down.

I guess some people will see that as 'buying the P51D' when $40+ will eventually get it free anyway but I see it as incentive to up the backing and get a 12 month head start on DCS WWII with the DCSW P51D.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I just renewed my car insurance, and with the money I saved I upped my pledge on DCS WWII: Europe 1944!!!!!!!!

I didnt buy a new pc, and I bought a pair of pirelli diablo suprcorsa for my bike + fuel for 2000km flat out :smilewink:

EDIT: sometimes i find my system is slow. I just pull the cable out of the power plug and go wheelie at 200kph. believe me, you cnt have more adrenaline than that.. ;)

Edited by TaliG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

B17 and British airfields in the initial map at the 1st stretch goal :

absolutely a nice move!!!

Replacing the Typhoon with a Tempest Mk V would probably be more attractive as well.

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Hi Luthier!

We are (Hungarians) very excited and really hope that the kickstarter will give you the initial "kick" to start the project. :thumbup: I think the free planes is a good idea. I know many pilots who are concerned after the "we don't say the title" game, but you can involve them into DCS WWII without they would risking anything. Very good.

Oh trust me, I'm very familiar with southern England :)

:D:D

So we really do need to have fine tree collisions for this to work well. They need to match the shape of the tree, otherwise the disconnect is extremely maddening. There's nothing more upsetting than flying in MP, inching closer to the kill at tree-top level, pulling a hard turn around a tree, and exploding even though the tree is over there, just because the collision is a little too coarse.

(Just a thought. Maybe it would be simpler collison model, if you put a simple vector into the tree, intstead of boxed the whole tree shape? This is not my profession, so I ask. Collision model need only the tree's trunk, but the tree's foliage is not.)

Intel i7 7700K 4.45GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3GHz | MSI Z270 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB | TrackIR 4 Pro | Logitech G940 | Samsung Odyssey + HMD

it is typically beneficial to campaigns not to "blow your load", so to speak, on stretch goals all at once. So, tweaking them based on user feedback, and/or introducing new stretch goals, and new pledge levels and things can help keep momentum going throughout the duration of your campaign.

Morning folks!

Luthiere, Any word on when we can expect the 3rd video in the series?

I'll try to have it ready Thursday. Friday at the latest.

how about this for an idea (if DCS will play). Kickstarter could do with a shove and perhaps, when it hits target and gets off the ground, if $100+ backers immediately get a free download of the $40 DCSW P51D, which they are eventually going to get free anyway, they can play with it in DCSW so they can start to get an idea of what it will be like and start to build a player community (DCSW is free to download in its basic form).

I would guess that a lot of people who backed the project already own the P-51.

I also don't own either the P-51 or the Dora. If we were to include them in kickstarter rewards today, the people who do own the planes wouldn't just do it for free. I'd need to buy licenses from them; in essence you'd still just be buying the planes and your payment would be split between DCS WWII budget and paying for the licenses.

In other words, this would probably add some money to the project, but a large chunk of backer money for this particular reward would not be going to the project.

Morning luthier. Could you run a kickstarter project further down the line to boost your stretch goals. Obviously fingers crossed we get to the 100k mark on this one...

Regards

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I also don't own either the P-51 or the Dora. If we were to include them in kickstarter rewards today, the people who do own the planes wouldn't just do it for free. I'd need to buy licenses from them; in essence you'd still just be buying the planes and your payment would be split between DCS WWII budget and paying for the licenses.

In other words, this would probably add some money to the project, but a large chunk of backer money for this particular reward would not be going to the project.

Ah, ok, sounds like they are 3rd party. I thought they were wholly owned by DCS and that DCS have a stake in WWII.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I have another talk video all put together, which I foolishly planned to release as video 3, but I realized the error of my ways while uploading video 2 this morning. Video 3 will be a detailed look at EDGE. Video 4 will be a detailed overview of aircraft modeling in DCS. Video 5 will be a video QnA, and then video 6 will probably be the thing I planned for Video 3.

Would it be possible to include some additional photos or maybe a small video of the Dora cockpit?

A lot of people are putting up the argument that they need to see a piece of your work on THIS project and not the past ones before they will pledge. It is my understanding that RRG worked on it (the cockpit) along with ED guys, so why not go forward with it (I presume Yo-Yo wouldn't mind showing off a bit of his work- it may even be a good publicity move) The snapshot of the Dora cockpit on the Kickstarter page already looks fantastic.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Morning folks!

I'll try to have it ready Thursday. Friday at the latest.

How about if you get not enough? what are your plans?

Are therre no plans? will you do something or you will go to milk the nearest free cow?

Edited by TaliG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It looks to me as though the only way this is going to work is if ED is carrying RRG for the time being. All of the first-tier aircraft are to be free, except for the ED ones, and AFAIK the only source of income for the project is the pledges--which are essentially only "buying" the P-51D and FW 190D, both of which are made & owned by ED proper. Since ED owns those, pledges for the P-51D and FW 190D are essentially sales (again, because pledging doesn't get you any other aircraft that you wouldn't already have gotten otherwise for free) for E.D. So, either all the pledge money would be going directly ED for those two ships (which would mean no funding for RRG, right), or else ED is essentially giving RRG this sales money, which otherwise would have gone to ED for these two aircraft. Am I missing something? This is confusing; I can't see how this business model is viable, unless ED is "loaning" the P-51D & FW 190D sales-pledges to RRG for the time being.

In other words: assuming only first-tier goal is met, the only things that aren't free are the P-51D & FW 190 ... both of which are ED's. So, where's the source of income for RRG, if ED isn't allowing RRG to have the money for the sales of / pledges for these two fighters?

I'm afraid I now have serious doubts about this project, not only because of the promise of so many free full-sim aircraft (which seems to me improbable to keep), but also because of the sudden & unexpected announcement that Mr. Maddox is heading quality control--if the aircraft specifications are anything like those in his previous projects, this is not for me. I really wanted this project to be true, but I just can't see it happening now as promised. : /

I guess I should know by now that things that sound too good to be true end up badly. http://www.splitreason.com//Product_Images/139b8015e6a3-xl.jpg

Edited by Echo38

Here's my wildest guess. The map may be used with regular DCSW so they may be getting some funding there.

This will bring in many, MANY new players to the table, especially with it being free, which will make things like dedicated server possible. And many other things. I mean, in 2-3 years there may be more WWII content than modern jets.

So ED might be backing up the studio to create that content because it will help the whole community.

Plus, they might be working on things for the Fighter collection. They already did work for the Dora cockpit.

So there's a ton of different possibilities.

Or, they have other sources of income, not related to DCS at all, and they are willing to invest their money into making a sim series which will turn out modules for years to come. The first year and the free stuff is just a bait.

I hope.

What I'm interested is how this is planned to be integrated. Given that World is here, we are missing terrain, aircraft and AI. Is the plan to release everything in one go or feed items as they become available. I personally would like a trickle and little by little get this project

It looks to me as though the only way this is going to work is if ED is carrying RRG for the time being. All of the first-tier aircraft are to be free, except for the ED ones, and AFAIK the only source of income for the project is the pledges--which are essentially only "buying" the P-51D and FW 190D, both of which are made & owned by ED proper..................I can't see how this business model is viable, unless ED is "loaning" the P-51D & FW 190D sales-pledges to RRG for the time being.

I'm afraid I now have serious doubts about this project, not only because of the promise of so many free full-sim aircraft (which seems to me improbable to keep), but also because of the sudden & unexpected announcement that Mr. Maddox is heading quality control..........................

So negative. I think this is a clever collaboration in which both DCS and RRG are making their own commitments with a combination of existing aircraft from DCS, existing experience/contacts from RRG and new terrain and aircraft from both. It might be a good idea to re-read Ilya's launch and updates more closely. DCS are taking care of the new EDGE Terrain and the kickstarter is to support RRG's contribution to the project including new aircraft.

AFAIK Mr Maddox is not heading quality control. He is on-board as an advisor and no doubt to add weight through his name, his experience and his outstanding (for the time) long-running IL-2 series which was ahead of its rivals including the FMs at the time. By today's standards the FMs would need to be improved and that will be the case. Ilya said that DCS would maintain a watching brief on quality so that it reflects the standards of the excellent DCSWorld.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'