DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

(Or, the other possibility is that the nevada map is 'experimental' to test/run EDGE and needs to be continuously updated as the IG improve, then, there wouldn't be a fixed way to create new map presently... Grunt)

This is my belief also Ced. I would imagine that there are other maps that are being developed that we are not aware of and they are being updated as well to support the ongoing testing of the IG. At least I hope so...:music_whistling:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is DCS: EDGE?? (Point me in the right direction please)

As the title says, Id like to find out more about EDGE and what it is exactly in relation to the DCS: World simulation now and in the future.

So far all Ive read is more or less heresay, Ive searched the english forums and found virtually nothing of note that has been confirmed by any devs that visit these borads.

Can someone link any threads of note where developers discuss what EDGE will be bringing to the simulation, release ETA, etc??

Thank you.

Can someone link any threads of note where developers discuss what EDGE will be bringing to the simulation, release ETA, etc??

I could be wrong but I don't think that information has been discussed by a anyone from ED in any significant detail. What you have probably already read is pretty much everything that ED has seen fit to tell us.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

EDGE is the new modern rendering engine that will power DCS in the future.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Says who? Can someone link anything of note that the developers have posted? I really mean anything, I cant find anything using the search function.

How do we even know EDGE is real?

I did a search for all posts containing "EDGE" by user Wags, and then opened several of the thread results and did a search within each thread for all posts by Wags. I got some tidbits here and there, the following paragraph being the most detailed:

The new Image Generator (IG) technology is currently in development and will be introduced to DCS World when it is ready. Elements of the new IG include:

- More detailed terrain.

- Better graphical effects

- Dedicated server

- DirectX 11 support

- Skeleton animation for infantry

There might be more info in that search; open each thread and use the "search this thread" function in each one to find all posts by Wags. Several of his posts mention EDGE by name, so it's real.

Edited by Echo38

Says who? Can someone link anything of note that the developers have posted? I really mean anything, I cant find anything using the search function.

How do we even know EDGE is real?

Yes it is! let's not call them lairs just because their current engine is a pool of bad performance or bug. During a lot update message, they have spoken about the EDGE. They also notified that it might be released this year.

What is EDGE?

All answers HERE

To be short, it's a rendering engine that will replace the current one in DCS World. It's still in development. New sets of maps are developed in parallel to fit in (like the Nevada map).

Is it real?

Yes, it is.

Here is an image from the last WIP (found in the official posts):

attachment.php?attachmentid=84950&d=1374252443

Edited by Cedaway
  • Like 1

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Its from EDGE because its from Nevada which is in EDGE.
The statement was: Nevada map will take profit from EDGE technology...

That doesn't mean that if you see a screenshot from Nevada terrain it is inevitably rendered by EDGE.

That doesn't mean that if you see a screenshot from Nevada terrain it is inevitably rendered by EDGE.

Correct. I would say that the rendering technology used in those Nevada shots looks very similar to what we already have in DCS. I would be very surprised if it's representative of what they're bringing to the table with EDGE.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

(...) it's a rendering engine that will replace the current one in DCS World (...)

That EDGE will replace the current IG is what my software developer mind told myself but that would mean we would be stuck in Nevada from when it's released until the next yet unknown map is released. Since I'm not excited about Nevada I've sought clarification on this and the only answer I've got is this:

Current map will still be available, just wont benefit from new IG.

Which, if it's true (I hope), means that both will be used in parallel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Until someone from ED confirms it that picture is not from EDGE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The recent Images of Nevada Terrain/Map in the Weekly update was said to be rendered on Edge.

However, by the looks of the screenshots, not ALL of the shaders in the Image Renderer are enabled in those screenshots.

But they are from the EDGE Renderer, compare the new Shots with the OLD OLD ones in the Nevada/Edge thread.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

That EDGE will replace the current IG is what my software developer mind told myself but that would mean we would be stuck in Nevada from when it's released until the next yet unknown map is released. Since I'm not excited about Nevada I've sought clarification on this and the only answer I've got is this:

Which, if it's true (I hope), means that both will be used in parallel.

Which is also kind of pulling the wool over our eyes, because apparently the new renderer will be a free adition to the game (as it should) but to actually see the difference you need to buy the new map.

Im hoping that EDGE incorporates aspects that are not just related to eyecandy and that there will be improvements under the hood so to speak, so that people who choose not to purchase the nevada map will benefit from improved performance, multicore support or whatever else EDGE might bring to the table...

I think it is.

Look at the picture below. Look at the little rocks on the ground. Looks like it's rendered with Dx11 tessellation. That reminds me a demo of the tessellation technology used in Crysis 1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84949&d=1374252443

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Does EDGE stand for "Extremely Delayed Graphics Engine"? :D

I jest, I jest!

Extremely Detailed Grass Engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I wasn't.

It might be misunderstood though!

The nearest target we are moving to is decoupling of graphics and simulation into separate threads.

This is quite possible with the current codebase, without a major rewrite.

Anyway,

Please don't limit the Eagle Dynamics' Simulation Engine by supporting the old Graphic Engine (like what you did to the 32-bit systems)!

Stop Black Sea, and make new Persian Gulf Map for new Naval Operations.

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

Question about the Nevada map

In the coming months we plan to release several new projects. While we wish to have open communications with our customers and let them know of our planned projects, please understand that plans often change due to unforeseen circumstances. The below list is a road map of our intentions and not a promise of things to come. As each product nears completion and feature lists are finalized, more details will be provided.[...]

[...] 3- Nevada map. This will be compatible with A-10C, Black Shark 2, and FC3. Users that purchased the A-10C beta will get this map for free.

Taken from HERE

Does that mean We'll have to pay for it?

"Today we'll do the hardest we can. Tomorrow we'll do the impossible." -IAF