Dynamic Campaign Discussion Thread

winchesterdelta1

In addition to dynamic campaing I would really like to be able to save missions, especially multiplayer missions. It would be really nice to save during a long mission after a few hours and then continue on another night. Or continue if the host computer crashes.

That way you could fight against a strong enemy and almost make it like a campaign. If the mission in progress could be saved as an editable .miz file it would be even nicer; that way you could simulate the dynamics by adding reinforcements etc.

Currently there is very little achievement in COOP multiplay because you have to start from scratch every time. In F4 BMS you can at least fight with the bigger picture in mind. (Ie. tonight we fly SEAD so that tomorrow we can attack the airport)

I think Eagle Dynamics is well aware of the benefits of a DC and they are trying to (slowly) reach something like a DC. For now, I will just wait and see the improvements from DCS module to DCS module. If at some point a "real" DC exists, I will buy, otherwise probably not.

Don't forget the F4 DC was in development with Micropose for 8+ years, they went bankrupt from the dev time and then the community trying to fix it for 12+ years. It's very immersive, but not realistic and very much a meat grinder.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Don't forget the F4 DC was in development with Micropose for 8+ years, they went bankrupt from the dev time and then the community trying to fix it for 12+ years. It's very immersive, but not realistic and very much a meat grinder.

As I and many others have stated countless times in this thread: true realism is kinda unimportant as long as it seems realistic. At least for those of us who really want a DC and an enjoyable simulator instead of a realism-above-all-else simulator.

• ED Team

I still stand on the point that dynamic components have been added, and seem to be worked on slowly as we go along (scripting, resource management, etc) ... I think we will end up having something much much better that F4 in the end...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I still stand on the point that dynamic components have been added, and seem to be worked on slowly as we go along (scripting, resource management, etc) ... I think we will end up having something much much better that F4 in the end...

Hopefully before the Sun engulfs Earth :)

As I and many others have stated countless times in this thread: true realism is kinda unimportant as long as it seems realistic. At least for those of us who really want a DC and an enjoyable simulator instead of a realism-above-all-else simulator.

There has to be a baseline of realism for the campaign to work. The ATO in BMS still places waypoints near active airfields and well with SAM coverage. As well package timings are way off. There won't be much fun if your A-10 is constantly tasked in an AO full of multilevel intergrated air defenses. This isn't just an issue for playability of the players mission, but skews the whole campaign with horrific loses across the board.

I am looking forward to see what ED comes up with, but I am wary based on what I've seen in what is heralded has the defacto DC.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

I do hope so, DC is the most important thing DCS needs... on par with solid trees of course.:music_whistling:

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

There has to be a baseline of realism for the campaign to work. The ATO in BMS still places waypoints near active airfields and well with SAM coverage. As well package timings are way off. There won't be much fun if your A-10 is constantly tasked in an AO full of multilevel intergrated air defenses. This isn't just an issue for playability of the players mission, but skews the whole campaign with horrific loses across the board.

Thats why you should/can create your own flights in (bms) campaigns. The DC is not good in creating flights but if you create your own flights it offers you a very nice "persistent enviroment" and therefore an almost perfect immersion. :pilotfly:

If some day the DCS engine can handle thousands of ground units and hundreds ofplanes and larger theaters etc. (hopefully EDGE-engine performes much better)

Edited by sorcer3r

Thats why you should/can create your own flights in (bms) campaigns. The DC is not good in creating flights but if you create your own flights it offers you a very nice "persistent enviroment" and therefore an almost perfect immersion. :pilotfly:

That's exactly my point. I can edit my package, but every allied and opfor package is flawed resulting in huge losses. I enjoy F4/BMS, but this has always been an issue with the campaign since the beginning.

That's exactly my point. I can edit my package, but every allied and opfor package is flawed resulting in huge losses. I enjoy F4/BMS, but this has always been an issue with the campaign since the beginning.

That's when you plan and create EVERY flight. No more suicide missions.

At least in your side :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of you even trying to build a scripting system to make a DC...or just talking and posting about one on the forums......

Furthermore, comparing what you could maybe build with DCS will never be like BMS/F4.....we lack a bubble system....

Look more at how Lowergin did it with IL-2 1946.....by saving who won the mission and having a scripting system build the next advance down the coastline....saving aircraft available.....ect....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

• 3 weeks later...
Are any of you even trying to build a scripting system to make a DC...or just talking and posting about one on the forums......

Furthermore, comparing what you could maybe build with DCS will never be like BMS/F4.....we lack a bubble system....

Look more at how Lowergin did it with IL-2 1946.....by saving who won the mission and having a scripting system build the next advance down the

coastline....saving aircraft available.....ect....

Hi all

Firstly don't visit here much but this thread catches my attention all the time.

I also agree instead of wishlist and just general long winded post discussion's, just milking the whole idea.

Should go from possibility to a serious thread on a development path, is what should be considered.

For example........... http://tactical.nekromantix.com/f4/falcon-4-pmc-theaters.php

OR...........................

- Korea

- Balkans

- Israel

- Panama

- Libya

- Afghanistan

- Iran

- Vietnam

- Nevada - Redflag Operations working with JTACS for "Precision Bombing" (PB) strikes etc etc

- Taiwan

- Iraq

- Aegean

- Mediterranean

- Spain

- Guam

- Hawaii

I would pay easily between $50 to $100 per Theater with 3 Dynamic Campaigns, they are worth there wait in Gold thats been proven time and time again..............to ignore this is simply miss approach to what DCS could really BE!

My wallet is wide open, for such a treat in the DCS series!

With awesome upgrade Terrain GFX engine like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFb2JU45gA ........... for each Theater nice......:thumbup:

Also adding more air craft with full click-able cockpits further enhancing the sim.

Its the personal enjoyment without having to be a multi-player junkie is whats really great about single player Theaters of WAR as your up against A.i order of battle and manage the battle space.joystick.gifpilotfly.gif

Although any future development of Theaters should consider MP and SP alike..... they are both equally vital to a Simulator!

Please DCS start development!:book:

Kind Regards,

WRAITH

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Here's another example...

Hi thought to come back again expecting a good answer, I certainly don't understand the above response. Will move on and request again to open the discussion once more................

Honestly now, whats needed is a serious post from the DCS Developers in knuckling down and producing Theaters with Dynamic Campaigns as discussed here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1833798&postcount=863

You have 87 pages of pretty much around about way that it will, might, kinda, possibly might happen but nothing to be seen in Forum.

Again my wallet is widely open say at a wopping $50 to $100 a Theater with 3 Dynamic campaigns and state of the art GFX.

But instead we have 87 pages wasted Forum space,again I dont pop in here much asking and requesting but DCS now has been around long enough to measure the customer satisfaction stick as per se.

Seriously time to start with one Theater as a WIP and churn others out there after.

It is an Aerial Combat Simulator right certainly needing a Theater of WAR to fly into combat.

I really hope this chat gets positive attention for something that will add value for years to come to the DCS series but until then this thread will continue in want.........................

Kind Regards,

Wraith

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

a dynamic campaign might be nice, to feel like the 4 hours you just spent doing a mission was part of a bigger war, rather than one self contained war that starts and ends in a single battle...

having it so that depending on how well you do in your last mission, it changes how the next mission is generated, it gives you a sense that you're in a living breathing world, and that anything you do effects everything around you...

how it is now... it doesn't matter how well u do as soon as you quit the mission, it feels like all that work was for nothing...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all

Firstly don't visit here much but this thread catches my attention all the time.

I also agree instead of wishlist and just general long winded post discussion's, just milking the whole idea.

Should go from possibility to a serious thread on a development path, is what should be considered.

For example...........

It was a response to this..before you added an updated info on it..originally you ended your post with " For example .... "

Now you have modified it to add more content..

:music_whistling:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

a dynamic campaign might be nice, to feel like the 4 hours you just spent doing a mission was part of a bigger war, rather than one self contained war that starts and ends in a single battle...

having it so that depending on how well you do in your last mission, it changes how the next mission is generated, it gives you a sense that you're in a living breathing world, and that anything you do effects everything around you...

how it is now... it doesn't matter how well u do as soon as you quit the mission, it feels like all that work was for nothing...

Hi Hadwell thanks good response,

Not only that but your conquering thru attrition and you and your squadron are scoring Rank and points into the next day.

Without having to type a full study on WAR Theory and Strategies as well as War Tactics on Theaters of WAR with Dynamic Campaigns which are very much part of what air defense is and certainly should be developed for DCS Series being a "Combat Simulator/Strategy Game"!

I no longer wish to debate or discuss so much the whole Theater concept but post is more about getting the Developers of DCS in this post and seriously taking it to the next level or CREATING a "NEW THEATER IN DEVELOPMENT POST".

Adding more air craft also would add to the beauty of the sim.

Simply a solid Start on this would be very exciting as a paying customer! Please DCS!

** Also as for incomplete post above my text was wiped off or deleted weird then I came back end typed again. Weird not fussed!

So my wallet is wide open again certainly I would pay big dollars for DCS Theaters.

Well I leave it that with hope that Developers of DCS will eventually take action.

Well on topic of Theaters/Campaigns watch enjoy........ Gulf War - Desert Storm Campaign...........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsncQ6O4wYw]www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsncQ6O4wYw[/ame] thumbup.gif

Regards

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interview mentioning Dynamic Campaigns - any chance ever?

I know this has been discussed before, but after reading an Interview on RockPaperShotgun.com I'm wondering if there are any plans ever to bring some life to DCS?

We’ve played with dynamic campaigns. These offer nearly unlimited replay value in theory, but in reality begin to feel generic and empty rather quickly. Dynamic campaigns are also a lot more difficult and expensive to create.

All DCS modules on their own are really high-fidelity, but the "world"" feels actually pretty empty - even in many multiplayer scenarios.

I used to play a lot of Falcon (BMS, Allied Forces, ...) and although with all the limitations of their dynamic campaign and technology it created a pretty solid illusion that stuff is going on around you and your actions have an impact on subsequent missions.

Flying down to the AO - seeing units moving, engaging, tracers flying around, other packages engaging, hearing radio chatter, getting slots assigned by the ATC, orbited, etc. ... felt .. simply more realistic and not isolated as it is in DCS.

Talking about ATC - Today almost no one is using ATCs because they simply don't work quite right.

All this time has passed and still no DC in this sim... Still playing Falcon4, but I would put it down in a heartbeat if we could finally get another sim with a real DC in it. Lets get on with it already.

Win7 64

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4P

AMD Phenom II 965 BE@3.6Ghz

8GB ADATA Gaming series@1333

2X ASUS ATi 5770 1GB Stock in Crossfire

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

2x WD Caviar Black 320GB HDD's

1000W Xion 80 plus Gaming series PS

I don't understand, wha a dynamic campaign is so hard to do? I've never played falcon, so maybe I'm more objective than other can be. :smartass:

My idea:

+ build a mission A

+ fly that mission A

All data at the end of this mission (server stop maybe) will saved/ exported in an extra file. So the end of mission A is dynamics, whenever the server/ mission is stopped.

We already have such features with Tacview (export) and the mission tracks (save function).

+ Now load the mission end data from that file in the mission editor (we need a new function for that step)

+ Now build mission B

Ok, it's not automatic but dynamic anyway.

Just my 5 cents ...

regdards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the dynamic campaign in Falcon 4.0 is a lot more complex than that and is arguably what broke the back of the game and Microprose. There's the added layer of the "2D-world" (a simplified/aggregated simulation of the battle) and the seamless blending of the two (the "player bubble"), AI theater commander, aswell as other stuff as supply and morale simulation.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.