Bad FPS? Give these a try, pt. II

msalama

well....is there some more information about this????i would really like to keep my current settins, cause right now the game runs smooth as silk for me...but i dont know how exactly this should work...first i dont even have this autoexec.cfg file...so i would need to create one(how?)

second, what does this file have to contain so that all my settings keep safed?

third, is it responsible only for the parameters in the graphics.lua, or will i be able to keep changes to the high.lua this way as well???mor info about this would be much appreciated!

If you had done any graphics.cfg editing you would probably have noticed the nice graphics_readme.txt located here and quoted below: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics_readme.txt

Hi!

Old graphics.cfg is gone and replaced with graphics.lua.

However, please, do not edit this file directly.

Otherwise you'll lose your changes after each update.

New method for overriding options is to create (or edit) a file

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

or

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\edModelViewer\Config\autoexec.cfg

(for model viewer)

and place your changes there.

Note:

- autoexec.cfg settings will override the options set via GUI.

- Graphic options in autoexec.cfg should be prefixed with options.graphics.

- file encoding should be UTF-8 without BOM

Example autoexec.cfg:

options.graphics.maxfps = 30

options.graphics.render3D = false

options.graphics.ScreenshotQuality = 75

-- add custom texture path

-- note the slashes!

table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, "c:/Users/<LOGIN>/Saved Games/DCS/MyTextures")

Happy gaming!

dsb at eagle dot ru

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

Disabling the Chimney Smoke Emitter did wonders for me :p

How did you turn it off?

Just want to remind, that in order to keep your mods to graphics.lua intact after updates and even after graphic options changes via the GUI, make your changes in the Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg file.

Question here what if there is no autoexec.cfg file in the location of "Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg"?

Edited by Leonski

Question here what if there is no autoexec.cfg file in the location of "Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg"?

As autoexec.cfg is an optional file the question is pretty obvious: you have not created one.

Im gonna have to give that a try, cuz i get a bit of a uncomfortable hit whenever I pan the horizon at some airfields, and the chimney's are the reason. if turning them off fixes that, fantastic.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Im gonna have to give that a try, cuz i get a bit of a uncomfortable hit whenever I pan the horizon at some airfields, and the chimney's are the reason. if turning them off fixes that, fantastic.

It is a pity as smokes from chimneys are often the only means of determining wind direction.

• ED Team

I still get massive hits around airfields, even on my new rig.

30+ fps normally everywhere until I get into airfields then it drops to 22fps if I knew which objects were giving me the hit I would remove them..

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It is a pity as smokes from chimneys are often the only means of determining wind direction.

That mod doesn't disable smoke for all chimneys, only that particular model, if you look at the other smoke emitting structures they still produce smoke.

I still get massive hits around airfields, even on my new rig.

30+ fps normally everywhere until I get into airfields then it drops to 22fps if I knew which objects were giving me the hit I would remove them..

There are two things you could try here, first off the graphics.lua:

change line 146 to -

structures = {20, 10000};

this setting will lower the amounts of objects drawn around your aircraft without sacrificing too much detail, I use this all the time and benefit greatly especially around bases such as Senaki.

The other is to use an older model of the aircraft hangars (ukrytie.edm) this is a far lower poly version and may help, see attachment below (place into Bazar\Terrain\Structures\High\EDM folder)

Edited by Mustang

• ED Team

Thanks Mustang going to give it a go

EDIT

Big improvement for me at some airfields, senaki used to give me trouble when I looked in the north west corner of the field 17fps but by using the lower res hanger I am back up to 39fps. However some other airfields still give me issues, like Tiblisi for example.

Thanks again :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hmmm, thinking of releasing a new version & deleting the DLs here. Not because of any drastic game-saving silver-bullet type changes or anything, but because of ED having moved to graphics.lua with their newest version. Will prolly do during the weekend. Just a headsup, mind :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

No, just thinking of compiling a new version of the tweaks in my OP - want to add the new graphics.lua and possibly Rider1's smoke tweaks. And that's about it...

Oh that's cool, i am looking forward to it :)

Yeah, coming out this weekend most likely, so stay tuned - same station, same channel and so forth :) S!

:thumbup:I did a complete reinstall and do not have a FPS issue now, just thought I would let ya'll know the

CBU87 did not cause me a bad hit this time..

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Any other tweaks on the horizon? Nothing here so far has worked for me. This sim is practically unplayable for me in the campaign missions. When I'm all alone I get a nice 40-60fps, but in the first two missions of Georgian Hammer I average in the 20s when looking north, and it frequently drops to the single-digits!

Any other tweaks on the horizon?

From me? No - and no time to compile a new tweaks package just yet due to work matters and whatnot either. Stay tuned...

• 1 month later...

HEADSUP: still haven't gotten around to assembling a new package, but when and if I do it'll essentially be the same than the one in the OP + fixes mentioned in the edits. So just use those for now and you're good :)

• 2 weeks later...
That mod doesn't disable smoke for all chimneys, only that particular model, if you look at the other smoke emitting structures they still produce smoke.

There are two things you could try here, first off the graphics.lua:

change line 146 to -

structures = {20, 10000};

this setting will lower the amounts of objects drawn around your aircraft without sacrificing too much detail, I use this all the time and benefit greatly especially around bases such as Senaki.

The other is to use an older model of the aircraft hangars (ukrytie.edm) this is a far lower poly version and may help, see attachment below (place into Bazar\Terrain\Structures\High\EDM folder)

What would the autoexec.cfg command be for this structures suggestion?

Also, can I just manually overwrite the graphics.lua with the OP file without using jgsme or anything?

Finally, the "DCS World\CONFIG\SMOKE\" folder does not seem to exist anymore in 1.2.5...thoughts/suggestions for modifying the JSmoke files? Or is it even necessary since they don't appear to exist?

Edited by woofer15

SPECS: Phenom II X4 965BE OC 3.9GHz on M4A79XTD EVO | XFX GeForce 970 GTX 4GB FTW+ (single monitor) | HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | CH Pro Pedals | G.SKILL Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 | Win 7 64-bit Home Premium | Corsair TX750W | WD Caviar Black 500GB @ 7200 |

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT 2: For v1.2.4 compatibility, use the attached graphics.lua instead of the original graphics.cfg and you should be good. Change the maxfps parameter to your liking however (I use 30 myself).

Instead of which original graphics.cfg? The graphics.cfg generated by the DCSW installer or the graphics.cfg you provided in your ZIP?

I'm very grateful for your effort but right now I'm kinda confused what each file (high.lua, graphics.lua, graphics.cfg, the SmallFX, etc.) does and how they relate to eachother?

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Insofar as I understand it (I will likely need to be corrected), graphics.cfg is legacy and ED prefers that no one edit the graphics.lua (since it will be oft replaced automatically by updates and your changes will be wiped). Instead they recommend you create/use an autoexec.cfg in the USERS folder to execute commands to modify the graphics.lua, such as "max fps", etc.

Since no one responded, I took his most recent (OP) graphics.lua and overwrote mine (after backing up). I then modified that "on-the-fly" using my new autoexec.cfg to cap the FPS. Of course, if ED overwrites the graphics.lua in an update, all non "max FPS" changes made will be defaulted again. And we won't know if this same graphics.lua will be compatible with the newest ED version.

SPECS: Phenom II X4 965BE OC 3.9GHz on M4A79XTD EVO | XFX GeForce 970 GTX 4GB FTW+ (single monitor) | HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | CH Pro Pedals | G.SKILL Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 | Win 7 64-bit Home Premium | Corsair TX750W | WD Caviar Black 500GB @ 7200 |

This is getting a bit confusing..

Msalama made a graphics.lua to override the default graphics.lua, I get that.

ED advices against that but since Msalama did not include an autoexec.cfg, I override the graphics.lua.

But, what about his graphics.cfg then if that is supposed to be legacy??

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory