First Impressions

hassata

Do I love this? Hell yes, I do. Did I giggle like a school girl when I got the guns to work? Hell yes. Did I wonder how I survived the crashes? Sometimes.

If I didn't have uni work to sort out, I'd be here all day :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

My First Flight on YouTube

This is just a short video of my first flight in the Huey. I had nothing but the most basic controls set up and the Trimmers.

During the whole flight, I was sweating like I had something to confess and the knuckles in my hands did not see any new blood for a good 10 minutes :)

Hope you enjoy the show :joystick:

I have about 45 min of flight time logged at this point with the Huey and I am very impressed with the realism.

I love the way the chassis rocks as the blades spool up. Top notch work from Belsimtek, and we're only in beta.

anyways...here is some clips of my first flights and some r-22 at the end.

Forgot to add that this is with no dead zone, linear axis, and 100% saturation. I use 2 Thrustmaster T16000M's with the springs removed for now. I am working on a design somewhere in the middle of casual interest and pit builder. I'll share pictures as I progress.

Edited by Zentaos

After several more hours I think the flight model is fantastic. This is after setting up curves and practicing. I'd love to have a stick extender.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

After several more hours I think the flight model is fantastic. This is after setting up curves and practicing. I'd love to have a stick extender.

I have to agree especially about the extension. I can't land without breaking something, I wobble a bit going from point a to b but it is getting better. Curves at 35 for pitch and roll with 20 on the rudder.

Oddly enough, I am having an easier time getting the Huey to more or less go where I want, wobble included, than I do the Shark with all of its AP functions.

Bottom line, I love it!!! :thumbup:

Btw, I think I look a lot like this while flying the Huey >>> :joystick:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Took it for another spin around Tblisi. Still feels way too squirrely. The main differences between a Hawk and a Huey should be performance ( ie engine power effects) and A/C reaction due to rotor system differences (fully articulated vs. semi-rigid).

My progression in RL rotary wing was TH-55, UH-1H, UH-60, back to UH-1, then back to UH-60, then OH-58 and finally back to UH-1. Yes, strange progression but a matter of going from active duty to National Guard and flying what's available. So my take on the difference in handling between aircraft is from that perspective.

I'm a newb to PC simming and DCS Huey is my first experience. So for me the hard part is getting used to the desktop flight controls. No doubt having true to life controllers would make it easier (that's my alibi and I'm sticking with it :laugh:).

Getting back to the quote above, for me the UH-60 is much more stable than the Huey in part due to its size / mass, but also because if it's stability augmentation system. The Huey needs considerably more continuous micro inputs to create the outward effect of stability. That being said I will need to learn how to tune my flight controllers before rendering an informed verdict. I suspect as long as the controllers are generic there will always be some differences from the real thing. All in all I'm blown away by Huey sim and am looking foward to getting to learn the ropes and tips from the simming community.

"Above the Best"

Royal Blue (cap) 87

• ED Team

Video recording of the tracks built-in tool for recording

Guys what's the best way to record my flight so I can upload it to YT?

You can to use for record FRAPS, but for more better quality for this to use built-in tool. How to do it - see att.

Note.

1.This method is good that if dropped FPS in simulator, the video will be without such drawdown

2. During recording, computer must not do anything else, otherwise recording will not work

3. Like any skill requires practice.

4. One of the good and free soft for further compression your video here:

http://handbrake.su/download/

How_Record_Video.thumb.png.cb2913ae9044d53facbc1a61ca9c35c4.png

I need to read more about this in the manual but I find when you shift from forward flight to hover its like the rotor cavitates and you loose lift rapidly. This seems to happen at alt as well so need to understand this properly

I think a good way to look at "effective translational lift (ETL) in a heli is similar to when one holds / throws a frisbee. When you hold the frisbee in your hand, you bear the full weight of the disk. If thrown below a certain airspeed the disk falls to the ground without apparent lift (in other words it is not flying). If you throw the disk with sufficient speed the disk (wing) begins to fly.

A helicopter while hovering is supporting it's full weight and let's say for our example is using 60% of it's available power. When it begins foward flight and transitions through ETL (16-24 knots) the rotor disk begins to fly in a fashion very similar to a frisbee. This creates the net effect of the aircraft wanting to pitch / baloon-up which must be countered by foward cyclic. So now we have both the lift provided through the pitch in the rotors AND the additional lift provided by the disk (rotors) flying above ETL. In addition because the disk is now flying and aiding in providing lift, the power (collective) can be reduced (let's say to 35%) and the aircraft still remain airborn and, in fact, contiue to climb. There is a bit more to this, but I hope this helps explain. The reverse of course is true when descending back through ETL the aircraft will suddenly drop if collective is not applied to augment the loss of lift when the disk is no longer flying (above ETL).

This is also why we hear war stories from Vietnam pilots where they'd face the overloaded aircraft into the wind and have the crew chief and gunner run along side until the aircraft passed through ETL and the Huey could leave the ground.

"Above the Best"

Royal Blue 87

The first time I grabbed the controls I knew it was going to be hard to learn but worth it. Flying the Hueay is definitely a skill and mastering new skills is always oh so rewarding. For some reason it's been a bit more difficult than for example in Black Shark to get to grips with the chopper's reactions and handling, but I suppose the FM is still being tweaked and I'm not an expert in helicopter flight anyways.

This is a video recreation of my first attempts at hovering:

Here are a couple of shots of recommended landing locations:

laskeutumislupamyonnetty.thumb.jpg.712fdf14bc399f1d3387bf2b32f7300e.jpg

piggyback.thumb.jpg.3a30cbf719ebe6f37be1225dcfc70bce.jpg

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

This is also why we hear war stories from Vietnam pilots where they'd face the overloaded aircraft into the wind and have the crew chief and gunner run along side until the aircraft passed through ETL and the Huey could leave the ground.

"Above the Best"

Royal Blue 87

Lol that made my day. :thumbup:

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.