MP fun: P-51D vs. Fw190D9

[DBS]TH0R

Patch 1.2.4 is a ton of fun, thank you ED!

ORIGINAL THREAD HERE

From last nights tangling with Doras, a couple of screens. First off, BB Doll:

Baloo-TH0R_04.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_05.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_06.jpg

The reflections in this game are something else (screenshots really don't do justice)

Baloo-TH0R_09.jpg

Few shots of the Dora

Baloo-TH0R_07.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_08.jpg

The effects and DM do have some room for improvement IMO. This isn't primarily a WWII sim and it can be seen here (although there are improvements with every patch)

Baloo-TH0R_10.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_11.jpg

Combat shots, downing two Doras each

Baloo-TH0R_12.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_13.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_14.jpg

Baloo-TH0R_15.jpg

Stuff I'd like to see improved in the future:

• Propeller animations. Alright, they do not look flat when viewed from the side and are miles ahead of those in old IL2 1946, and they look amazing when viewed from cockpit - but in comparison with Cliffs of Dover propellers, where the thickness of the prop is changing depending on the pitch/angle of the blades, they do not look so great. Cliffs of Dover and even Rise of Flight props are second to none in this aspect.
  • Visual damage model. I haven't tested this much yet, but it seems to me that small hits produce hundreds and hundreds of holes on the fuselage - which in the end looks a bit "too much", more like shrapnel damage than from impacted rounds (as seen on Dora screens above).

I've yet to test the actual P-51D damage model, in IL2 when you take a hit in the wing (same goes for 190D) it is immediately noticeable on the FM. Your wing dips and looses lift. So far I've only lost wings to AI Doras so I can not yet judge how well DSC P-51 models this... :)

Overall, I have a feeling that DCSW will be a serious competitor when DCSW Fw190D9 is ready. Can't wait!

Edited by T}{OR
Original thread link added

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

• ED Team

I must say that DM itself in DCS must be reworked. But saying about DM we must divide its both aspects - visual effects and internal functioning. Regarding its internal functioning I can say that it is much more complicated in comparison of any sim existing now and being in WIP status. You can get hundreds types of systems malfuction cascading and causing subsequent damages and sometimes you must do his best to save the plane. In reality bullet hits and even those holes appearing on the wings affect to lift and drag but not so exagerrated as in Il-2, for example. FM itself works correctly with half of elevator loss, so this control gets side roll effect or it's possible to land the plane with 1/3 of the wing lost (if the handling is right - otherwise it can be fatal)

The second aspect is visual effects regarding the actual damages and, yes, you are right - it needs to be deeply reworked because long white trails of electricity leaking from Dora's wing look weird. :) It's a task #1 for the nearest future. Not only for WWII planes but for all flyable and most of important AI.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• Propeller animations. Alright, they do not look flat when viewed from the side and are miles ahead of those in old IL2 1946, and they look amazing when viewed from cockpit - but in comparison with Cliffs of Dover propellers, where the thickness of the prop is changing depending on the pitch/angle of the blades, they do not look so great.

Prop pitch is visible, at least in the Mustang. If it isn't in the Dora yet, i'm convinced that it will be at a later, more advanced stage.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I must say that DM itself in DCS must be reworked. But saying about DM we must divide its both aspects - visual effects and internal functioning. Regarding its internal functioning I can say that it is much more complicated in comparison of any sim existing now and being in WIP status. You can get hundreds types of systems malfuction cascading and causing subsequent damages and sometimes you must do his best to save the plane. In reality bullet hits and even those holes appearing on the wings affect to lift and drag but not so exagerrated as in Il-2, for example. FM itself works correctly with half of elevator loss, so this control gets side roll effect or it's possible to land the plane with 1/3 of the wing lost (if the handling is right - otherwise it can be fatal).

Various systems complexity modeling I was more than aware of, just not the extent of their damage modeling. Comparing IL2 and DCS P-51, it is very easy to spot the higher fidelity of the DCS product - from the modeling of torque on take off to complex system modeling. Some things are most definitely exaggerated in IL2. Thanks for clearing this up.

As I said, I have few few hours with the plane thus far. These are my initial impressions before I dig in deeper.

The second aspect is visual effects regarding the actual damages and, yes, you are right - it needs to be deeply reworked because long white trails of electricity leaking from Dora's wing look weird. :) It's a task #1 for the nearest future. Not only for WWII planes but for all flyable and most of important AI.

Thats is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. :)

Prop pitch is visible, at least in the Mustang. If it isn't in the Dora yet, i'm convinced that it will be at a later, more advanced stage.

Hmmm... I was quite positive it wasn't visible, i.e. the thickness stays the same all the time. Will check again.

Non the less, the side view is superior in CloD.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Hmmm... I was quite positive it wasn't visible, i.e. the thickness stays the same all the time. Will check again.

Non the less, the side view is superior in CloD.

What you dont see is quick pitch changes because in P-51 as it should be you don't control pitch but rpm so you have to wait governor to change pitch to see it :smilewink:. Ahhh, but CloD or Il-2 don't know what that is... lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Anyway, CloD prop disc is not better IMHO, lateral view is nice, but that change to a 2D prop disc when view from nose-aft is very crappy and similar to old Il-2 disc.

Otherwise, nice pics and review :smilewink:. I still had no time to test it :(.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Thanks.

True, CloD doesn't feature governors since all propeller pitch settings there are manual - quite the opposite of DCSW. :)

I think Team Fusion did some changes to improve the 2D disc, now props look phenomenal.

• ED Team

You can simply test it: idling on the runway use wheel breakes and move rpm to LOW. Then switch to F2 view and adjust it to be just in the prop plane. Then slowly advance throttle. Ok, do not forget to place the stick in full aft position. :)

I am not sure if it animated in Dora as it's WIP and released now as is.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Nice pics.

The Israeli DCS Server is running a Training for all mission, this mission includes a dogfighting zone for the P-51s, there are FW-190D9s patroling the area and will respawn everytime they are destroyed at a random difficulty.

You are all welcome to come and do some online dogfighting :)

Thanks, will try it out.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Nice pics.

The Israeli DCS Server is running a Training for all mission, this mission includes a dogfighting zone for the P-51s, there are FW-190D9s patroling the area and will respawn everytime they are destroyed at a random difficulty.

You are all welcome to come and do some online dogfighting :)

Thanks. I will definitely try your server out next time I fire up DCSW. :)

;)

In comparison with the YT videos and A2A P-51D I think DCS got it more accurate. Still, as a possible improvement I would like to see some variety in thickness (thicker around the spinner and thinner around the blade edges). Right now the thickness (as you can see from my screens) is constant throughout the radius of the prop. IMO it should look more like this (same P-51 the sounds were recorded off apparently):

Edited by T}{OR