DCS A-10C - How to increase districts visibility distance

land_detailNoise=

{

Height = 300.0; <------

distance in meters for "noise" texture for terrain. It gives high res texture mixing with normal terrain texture at close distance as normal terrain texture doesn't have enough definition up close.

Reduce this to 10 then while on ground watch in external view, you should notice distinctly how up to 10m there is nicer high texture of terrain and further out it's low res.

PS: I normally reduce this to 100-150m or so because I get shimmering in terrain texture if set to more, probably caused by lack of filtering or maybe the noise texture has bump mapping or something like that. Experiment a little if you like, you can always change it back to default value.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuky,

Have you made any mods for DCS World 1.2.3?

Thank you,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

• 1 month later...
does anyone know how to add that modded 'high.lua' to sit nicely in the sub-menu of the 'VISIB RANGE' setting renamed as 'ultra.lua' for example? thus without replacing the original 'high.lua' ..

i remember i have managed to do that a while back ago, there is a small code line to edit/add so the new .lua configuration file will appear in that sub-menu, but i dont remember in which .cfg file .. grrr

Hi Lightningstrike,

I think you need to look at post number 16 found here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1215847&postcount=16

It gives instructions to do what you are asking. It says:

2. edit .../MissionEditor/Data/Scripts/OptionsData.lua file (use Notepad++) and add new entry for visibility range settings like this (look for line 325)

Quote: visibRange = {

__value__ = 'Low',

control = 'comboList',

values = {

{ id = "Low", dispName = _("LOW")},

{ id = "Medium", dispName = _("MEDIUM")},

{ id = "High", dispName = _("HIGH")},

{ id = "Very_High", dispName = _("VERY HIGH")},

},

},

3. now go to .../Config/Terrain folder and copy/paste High.lua file and name it Very_High.lua and make changes you want and adjust/increase distance values to your liking

Regards,

Milli

i have just edited and tried it out, and i think that method no longer works in the current DCS v1.2.3 , so the only way is to replace and tweak the 'high.lua' file

I'm using the modified OptionsData.lua file in conjunction with a tweaked low.lua file.

Its working ok with v1.2.3 on my computer.

I have my tweaked visible range settings available in the Visible Range drop down box.

Regards,

Milli

@Mili

that's exactly what i needed, thanks

re

i have just edited and tried it out, and i think that method no longer works in the current DCS v1.2.3 , so the only way is to replace and tweak the 'high.lua' file

btw, since i have an NVIDIA 680GTX, what are the essential parameters i can tweak in order to increase the visibility of trees/forests and districts?

Because i'm using now, the Kuky's version 'very high visibility' from post #20 , i'm doing about 35-40fps and it still looks a bit 'meh' on my 680GTX here, I realized he did it for his ATI HD 5870 gfx card, i have compared the specs of both gfx cards and saw the 680GTX was nearly 2.5x more powerful as it is more recent than the hd5870, so as i can afford more of distance with the 680GTX, what 'im mostly interested in is to have A LOT more distant visibility, mostly buildings, forests and road which settings i should tweak in the high.lua file? thanks

According to my experience visible range is mostly bottlenecked by your cpu. You'll see that you gpu will be limited in usage when increasing visible range.

Id suggest overclocking your cpu and then start increasing your visib range until your fps gets low again.

To put more stress on your gpu you can up the anti aliasing etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Found a way to do this also :thumbup:

2. edit .../MissionEditor/Data/Scripts/OptionsData.lua file .....

This file does not exist anymore in WORLD 1.2.14 :(

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + Pedals

(AB-detent Mod, Stick extension Mod)

HTC Cosmos VR

Track IR

----------

Intel i9-9900K

64GB Ram

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

This file does not exist anymore in WORLD 1.2.14 :(

Try this mod, it works and includes the file

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115454

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift