War Thunder News ONLY (not discussion)

bumfire

I played the Full Real Battle mode today and it is much more my style of game play. I was not expecting a DCS flight model, so I was disappointed that their isn't a cold start procedure.

What the games lacks in realism, it makes up for is gameplay. The Arcade mode is for grinders. " I gotta get 1 million exp, so I can fly the XXX by next week". Like all others MMO that are EXP based, the end will come at some point and losed interest for an individual. If it keeps interest for more than a few months then job well done.

The promised land and naval units will be a welcomed addition and further the attention longer and give the level grinders something else the chew on.

The Full Real Mode is quite difficult as a combat game. I only wish there was more reward for those who choose difficult gameplay over the arcade style that seems to reward the grinders.

As far as I played the beta back in autumn last year it was impossible to earn enough eagles to recoup the repair costs for the birds - so you had to fly arcade for that. Has this changed?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

But remember, War Thunder is the same people that made Wings of Prey. You know the Wings of Prey that used the IL2 in the name. They were touting it as a sim with simple controls as an option and pulled more folks from original IL2 with the name, that were disappointed in lack of even moderate simulation. (i.e. missions could not progress if you didnt have unlimited bombs, due to 30 objectives needing to be destroyed by a flight of 3 planes)

Wings Of Prey never used the IL-2 monicker. It was the same developer who were licensed to make the console game "IL-2 Birds Of Prey".

I was in Alpha and Beta for WoP and the Dev's never said it was going to be a full simulator. Even they admitted it was a sim lite. They got pilots into the studio to help with flight behavior, but never touted realistic flight models.

It always was, and always will be a game with simulation elements.

Same goes for War Thunder. It's not a sim. It can barely qualify as sim lite, but it fits well in that category. It's a game with sim elements that has an MMO grind built in. Not a bad idea. Watching how it pans out for them will be fun too :)

• 2 weeks later...

damn! this thing looks good

War Thunder

8535363887_b71458ccd6_b.jpg

8536471646_edf479e87f_b.jpg

8535364729_a8ec08b3ff_b.jpg

8536472932_083c157540_b.jpg

8535366003_b891956868_b.jpg

8536473084_a06b98957f_b.jpg

8536473744_b59aa03266_b.jpg

8535365579_ac397e7556_b.jpg

8535367687_76ab37d38a_b.jpg

8535367973_fb63c8788c_b.jpg

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately... after playing the beta/open beta since August last year Warthunder seems to turn into a bad direction.

- The maps are not going to be increased so 80km wide "resized" to actual 40km will stay for some while.

- Flight models and damage models are being tweaked and pocked all around from patch to patch... but no hope on the horizon especially when you consider that even if you get some decent results when you put them on a world that is half sized... things look odd.

- No in depth simulation... meaning you barely have actual historical limitation on some aircrafts... this just makes all the gazillions planes feel the same.

- Missions after more than half a year are basically the same boring nonsense... they say they are testing... ok... but...

-The expected Virtual War will be placed only in the middle ground gametype.... icons/external views/mouse aim/mouse flying... etc.

And the worse now. Yes... sadly...

The idea was that Oleg Maddox failed in his IL-2 Cliffs of Dover because... partially... he was not having enough money... and this is a big problem for developers. And a system with "free to play" but pay for little optional thing here and there was a good idea. It could still be... but...

...after tasting some money the developer just got plain greedy and now the so called advancing in the game... more often called grinding comes to a... grinding halt if you don't pay. The developer just goes lower and lower in its tricks for money. Examples:

-For the last patch (1.29) they ramp up the plane acquisition costs several times (300-500%) on mid to high range planes and then... they announced with big emphasis sales of "up to" 80% for one day... naming it: "in celebration of 1.29 patch release"

-They introduced a gimmick in which you can have a so called back up plane of the same type (a copy basically) in a battle that is expendable upon usage. This backup costs 30 so called eagles that are directly translated from real money... not much... few cents but they add up and their prices will surely increase after public acceptation. Basically this just tries to make a dollar on people (kids more often) frustration and impulsive spending.

-They added few months ago some so called "captured planes"... meaning you could fly for example La5FN for Germany... La5FN is a very potent plane... had no decent FM and suffers in any Russian game of over enthusiasm in performance and general combat readiness... first those planes were added at a cheap price (in real money corespondent) and with a big promise of "in game income"... now they ramp up the price for them (400% or so) they reduced the income they could bring and raise the repairs a bit... now... people effectively just paying for a Pavlovian effect.

-another gimmick is a feature by which you put a so called talisman on a plane in hoping it will bring more income in game and that "talisman" costs real money althoug the plane could be "bought" with virtual game money or even free.

I must mention... I never payed a cent for this game. I am not just venting my frustration (I can't say they are none) but rather giving some information from my subjective perspective after playing this game for quite a while.

I feel very sorry for people that got trapped in this "money leaching scheme" and now declare it is OK to spend over 100$ per month on this game only.... only if they will be satisfied with the gameplay... which apparently no one can get satisfied completely, no matter how serious he wants to play.

The bottom line is:

Developers like Oleg Maddox and ED struggled(s) with little money and stuff to create something decent... others, with more money, become spoiled and get greedy and produce in the end a half baked cookie. I supported the idea of getting more money for developer by selling continuously little things about the game even a small "fee" for per month development... but people have no limits and become corrupt in no time. So... maybe we are better off.

P.S. Don't get me wrong... the game is playable ad you can try it but do try to stay off paying anything for it. Not for "punishing" devs but as for protecting yourself from some OCD. :)

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Unfortunately... after playing the beta/open beta since August last year Warthunder seems to turn into a bad direction.

- The maps are not going to be increased so 80km wide "resized" to actual 40km will stay for some while.

- Flight models and damage models are being tweaked and pocked all around from patch to patch... but no hope on the horizon especially when you consider that even if you get some decent results when you put them on a world that is half sized... things look odd.

- No in depth simulation... meaning you barely have actual historical limitation on some aircrafts... this just makes all the gazillions planes feel the same.

- Missions after more than half a year are basically the same boring nonsense... they say they are testing... ok... but...

-The expected Virtual War will be placed only in the middle ground gametype.... icons/external views/mouse aim/mouse flying... etc.

And the worse now. Yes... sadly...

The idea was that Oleg Maddox failed in his IL-2 Cliffs of Dover because... partially... he was not having enough money... and this is a big problem for developers. And a system with "free to play" but pay for little optional thing here and there was a good idea. It could still be... but...

...after tasting some money the developer just got plain greedy and now the so called advancing in the game... more often called grinding comes to a... grinding halt if you don't pay. The developer just goes lower and lower in its tricks for money. Examples:

-For the last patch (1.29) they ramp up the plane acquisition costs several times (300-500%) on mid to high range planes and then... they announced with big emphasis sales of "up to" 80% for one day... naming it: "in celebration of 1.29 patch release"

-They introduced a gimmick in which you can have a so called back up plane of the same type (a copy basically) in a battle that is expendable upon usage. This backup costs 30 so called eagles that are directly translated from real money... not much... few cents but they add up and their prices will surely increase after public acceptation. Basically this just tries to make a dollar on people (kids more often) frustration and impulsive spending.

-They added few months ago some so called "captured planes"... meaning you could fly for example La5FN for Germany... La5FN is a very potent plane... had no decent FM and suffers in any Russian game of over enthusiasm in performance and general combat readiness... first those planes were added at a cheap price (in real money corespondent) and with a big promise of "in game income"... now they ramp up the price for them (400% or so) they reduced the income they could bring and raise the repairs a bit... now... people effectively just paying for a Pavlovian effect.

-another gimmick is a feature by which you put a so called talisman on a plane in hoping it will bring more income in game and that "talisman" costs real money althoug the plane could be "bought" with virtual game money or even free.

I must mention... I never payed a cent for this game. I am not just venting my frustration (I can't say they are none) but rather giving some information from my subjective perspective after playing this game for quite a while.

I feel very sorry for people that got trapped in this "money leaching scheme" and now declare it is OK to spend over 100$ per month on this game only.... only if they will be satisfied with the gameplay... which apparently no one can get satisfied completely, no matter how serious he wants to play.

The bottom line is:

Developers like Oleg Maddox and ED struggled(s) with little money and stuff to create something decent... others, with more money, become spoiled and get greedy and produce in the end a half baked cookie. I supported the idea of getting more money for developer by selling continuously little things about the game even a small "fee" for per month development... but people have no limits and become corrupt in no time. So... maybe we are better off.

P.S. Don't get me wrong... the game is playable ad you can try it but do try to stay off paying anything for it. Not for "punishing" devs but as for protecting yourself from some OCD. :)

You're taking it all very seriously. War Thunder to flight simulator is the same as World of World of Tanks is to a tank simulator - I've got a tonne of matches played and haven't spent very much (I make it a principle to make a payment to a game I have spend many hours in, I could have had as much enjoyment had I not paid a penny).

The game is not a sim, that's true. But it's great fun - the aircraft have enough individuality to make combat very interesting.

Edited by Conure

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

yeah... I did take it a bit too seriously I think... I thought it can have a chance to raise to a sim level but...

And I agree planes have individuality... here are two funny examples other players made:

htBFUUojhZQ

k42DLq6bMNI

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

yeah... I did take it a bit too seriously I think... I thought it can have a chance to raise to a sim level but...

And I agree planes have individuality... here are two funny examples other players made:

htBFUUojhZQ

k42DLq6bMNI

:D

Well I read that the devs are really working hard to bring it to full sim level - there are posts on the forum in which the devs state they want to pick up the IL2 community that were let down by CloD.

They have some way to go though, but I hope they make it

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, if they want to pick up the IL-2 community that was let down by CloD then they need to do a lot better than a F2P MMO.

I mean, why would I bother with War thunder if I have IL-2 1946? I don't need to grind, I get realistic missions, I don't need to worry about other players who only want to gain XP and not really pay attention to mission goals and I don't need to invest anything beyond the purchase price of the product to get all the features held within it.

The same goes for any other sim in my collection, I don't need to worry about getting enough EXP to keep flying my A-10C, I don't need to worry about paying for the damage on my Ka-50, the whole F2P MMO thing just does not jive well with me after enjoying full games for so long.

I know I am probably a bit more fired up than I probably should be, I mean, it is not like War thunder is any threat to the sims I already play and enjoy but I can't help but feel like it is a bit of a rip-off both in terms of time and money.

The worst part for me is the fact that I have more than a few friends who play War thunder, before it hit beta I had them all get into Rise of flight as a way to try to get at least some of them into the simulation genre (it is probably the easiest to learn on a technical level) and everything was looking good, now that War Thunder is out, they have all dropped it in favor of the arcade mode, whenever I ask if they want to play ROF I get "I can't be bothered to learn that when I can just play WT", I know it is selfish but it still kinda sucks.

Honestly, I worry that WT will steal away a lot of players who might have otherwise given IL-2 (perhaps even the upcoming IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad) a try just because it is easy and does not challenge the player to learn anything beyond the normal FPS skills they already have.

I am rambling, I know, I just can't help but be a little bitter in the end.

Well I read that the devs are really working hard to bring it to full sim level - there are posts on the forum in which the devs state they want to pick up the IL2 community that were let down by CloD.

They have some way to go though, but I hope they make it

Lol nice damage modelling, esp the part when the wing hits the tower and the plane changes direction by 90 degrees and keeps flying fully intact lol

they fixed now... I heard the Yak can't chop an entire forest with wings and prop... just 2-3 of the trees. :D

Seriously now... the game is somehow still in development... or so they want to say but what turn away simmers are just the small maps that are also reduced in scale (half) not only that they cover few Kms and the grinding simulator... which is in fact a machinery to drain money from kids and OCD affected people.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I love the way the lead aim circle stays the same size whether it's a fighter at 0.75km or a bomber at 0.1km. Unless the cross hair is exactly in the circle, the plane will miraculously find its way right through a hail of lead at 100m.

I played this for a little bit a while ago, but it's not as enjoyable as the DCS mustang for me. I mostly did air to ground because the connection was too unstable to reliably dogfight. Nothing is more satisfying than a rocket kill in air to air though.

I was hoping for a corsair module in DCS, but if the real turn rate is as bad as in War Thunder then I may take that back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

War Thunder open beta

http://warthunder.com/

A friend of mine pointed this out to me, has anyone taken a look at it yet ?

WPJg-ctglAM

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

my bad,

seems our Russian friends have been discussing it :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93290&highlight=war+thunder

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

And not our russian friends only;):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93701

Play it since Closed beta. Sometimes it`s nice to just jump in and fly it because of great graphics. I don`t take it to serious. Try for yourself it`s F2P.:)

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

• ED Team
And not our russian friends only;):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93701

Play it since Closed beta. Sometimes it`s nice to just jump in and fly it because of great graphics. I don`t take it to serious. Try for yourself it`s F2P.:)

downloaded it today 5.6gb had a play, it actually is good fun lol :music_whistling:

great frame rates

I have been playing War Thunder for about 3 months, in my opinion although it is completely free to play, if you want all the decent fighters and bombers and all the little goodies it can end up being rather expensive, but all this aside as BIGNEWY has said it is great fun but hardly a true flight combat simulator.

Eventually though(who knows when) it will incorporate land, sea and air combat which does sound rather interesting.