Deactivate module in DCS World

Guess we have to do that to all modules? Going to need an afternoon to sort this all out. Here we go again with my multi monitor setup:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

Hello,

I didnt follow directions and uninstalled the prior version of DCS World and all of its modules before deactivating. How do I deactivate them now before I can install the 1.2.1 versions of my modules? I know i need to use the star force website but its asking me for a hardware code which I dont know.

Edited by ExGreyFox

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock

G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti

Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401

NZXT Kraken x62

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)

Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt

Cooler Master HAF X

HOTAS Warthog | VKB MCG Pro GunFighter Mk. II | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5

Heatware

Hello,

I have the same question.

Straight from the Starforce website:

If you are going to change your computer hardware or reinstall the operating system, it is probable that the activated application will not run after that. To solve the problem, our experts have developed the license transfer technology or Deactivation, so that you could use your application again, without losing one activation possibility. In this case it is not necessary for you to contact the publisher of the protected application.

Does that help?

In other words, any changes to your PC exceeding 12 points as per the following scale will trigger a lost activation:

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12 points as rated below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

Deactivating will ensure that you do not lose the one activation.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It's seems a strange idea to limit deactivations, activations sure but why deactivations?

Assuming we start with 10 of each, it means we can activate a total of 20 times (i.e 10 activations, then 10 deactivations, than another 10 activations, after which it won't be possible to deactivate anymore, so therefore impossible to activate again either).

Now sure, 20 sounds like more than enough but when you're testing like me on a system with triple-boot (two Win7, one XP) and my other PC with a different card (also with triple boot, in fact more as I test with VHDs as well), it's easy to see how this limit could be reached. If only the activations were limited, then as long as I make sure I deactivate on the systems I'm no longer testing on I'd get those activations back and be fine but with deactivations limited, that could be a problem.

I'd personally be happier with something like 5 activations and unlimited deactivations.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Then after 10 deactivations followed by 10 reactivations I lose the license of the product? :huh:

Deactivations make perfect sense in that they extend the life of your activations. Once your last activation is spent, an activation is automatically replenished (Starforce AAA). In other words, you will never run out of activations.

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deactivations make perfect sense in that they extend the life of your activations. Once your last activation is spent, an activation is automatically replenished (Starforce AAA). In other words, you will never run out of activations.

Deactivations do of course make sense but limiting them doesn't seem to.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Then you might as well have unlimited activations as that is the effect it would have if deactivations are not limited. In any event, it is what it is and no amount of discussion will change that :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then you might as well have unlimited activations as that is the effect it would have if deactivations are not limited. In any event, it is what it is and no amount of discussion will change that :)

Hardly, because unlimited activations would allow the user to activate it unlimited times concurrently, whereas unlimited deactivations only means that the user can deactivate a previous activation, so they can never have more concurrent activations than the activation limit.

Hey, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.......

I have no idea what you're trying to say now ;)

That's OK - we are not supposed to be discussing DRM in any event ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's OK - we are not supposed to be discussing DRM in any event ;)

Are we not? Who says? There's lots of discussions about DRM going on at the moment because of the fiasco with the upgrade to 1.2.1 and surely customers are entitled to discuss and understand the limitations placed on their purchases?

Do you mean we can deactivate key No.1 10 times, and key No.2 also 10 times and so on?

I don't think so. You only have one key, which you can activate 10 times and deactivate 10 times (in total). Obviously you can't deactivate unless you've already activated, but as the deactivations are limited, you effectively throw away an activation each time you deactivate.

I didn't quite follow that. Can you give us the link to this please?

I don't have a link but I did see another thread about this and apparently how it works is that once you use your final activation, it gives you another free one (and keeps doing this so you always have one available) but only after a certain amount of time (2 days, 2 weeks?) has expired and I don't know what that time limit is.

Edited by doveman

But then only one extra activation at a time, right? Otherwise it would enable software piracy, if I can share a module with my friends every two weeks for example.

Correct, only one refill at a time, given a month after your last activation was utilised.

@ doveman: In regards to discussion, by all means ask questions if anything is unclear and they will be answered.

What will not be tolerated is any discussion pertaining to the Pro's and Cons of the DRM utilised. It is what it is.

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Navigate to your DCS World/Mods/aircrafts/A-10C/bin/x86_64 (or x86) folder and open. Find the a10_protect file and double-click. Deactivate by following the prompts/instructions.

Holy shamoly!!!! anyway,, getting thru the smoke here, the procedure here should be to 1st do as described above, then go into Programs/Uninstall and uninstall DCS World (which will also uninstall any modules , such as DCS A-10) then delete your User/saved games folder, then install the latest world and comatable modules,,, do I have this correct now? :huh:

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Here is my story:

Downloaded 1.2.1 and all modules for it.

Deactivated my modules via the 1.2.0 installation. (as instructed :DCS 1.2.1 Now Available)

Moved 1.2.0 to a save place and edited the 1.2.0 shortcuts to be separated from the new 1.2.1 install

Installed DCS World 1.2.1 ... than I started to install the modules...

Tried first Ka-50 upgrade 1.2.1 ..... got a prompt to install first BS1 (!)

well - guess what: it was still activated for 1.2.0 (!)....

anyway - installed BS1 again and had to deactivated it (!) so I could activated it afterwards (!!) ....

( I checked the activation status also via the Starforce page before and after)

after this I was able to install Ka-50 upgrade for 1.2.1

Than I installed all other modules after it.

Than I started DCS World 1.2.1 for the first time and activated all modules.

... OK, I'm honest: I wasn't happy with 1.2.1 first and went back to my 1.2.0 installation....

And here it comes: Even I activated each module in 1.2.1 I had to activate them all again for 1.2.0....

(please read the above again to get the full meaning - I know - it can be confusing...)

Summary:

I had to deactivate each module once... and activate each module twice (!!!) just to have DCS 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 at the same time at the same system.

Do you get it ?

....I don't get it...

Question: Do I get now one activations and one deactivation back for each module ? How?

I can live with one renewed activation for each module per month.... well, as long you won't release five of such updates within a month....

I'm more concerned about BS1

Edited by PeterP

@ doveman: In regards to discussion, by all means ask questions if anything is unclear and they will be answered.

What will not be tolerated is any discussion pertaining to the Pro's and Cons of the DRM utilised. It is what it is.

If thems the rules, then fair enough I'll not break them. I'll bear this draconian attitude to discussion in mind when considering purchasing any other ED products though.

Sooo,

I didn't deactivate dcs10 and uninstalled world and then reinstalled both.I was asked to reactivate dcs 10 on first run and now at 9 activations. It runs fine and nothing blew up. Is there any reason to be concerned(except for cursor arrow problem) or just carry on as normal?

.....Is there any reason to be concerned.....

Nope.

Absolutely no reason to be concerned at all :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy shamoly!!!! anyway,, getting thru the smoke here, the procedure here should be to 1st do as described above, then go into Programs/Uninstall and uninstall DCS World (which will also uninstall any modules , such as DCS A-10) then delete your User/saved games folder, then install the latest world and comatable modules,,, do I have this correct now? :huh:

Back to this, I think Peter P tried to explain, but that went off to another world! OK, procedure correct or not? thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Back to this, I think Peter P tried to explain, but that went off to another world! OK, procedure correct or not? thanks

Yes.

Just be sure to check that all folders have been removed. If not, manually delete all leftovers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...