Question about .EDM models export / import

What was the final solution to this?

The solution was using the latest plugins, DCS World and Ducky's material settings.

I was using BS2 and there was an issue between plugin export and game version (1.1.1.1).

The patch will probably correct the error.

• 1 month later...

FC2 flickering bug :)

A little help from Beczl:

Here it's my generaly tips for cockpit making that contain the fix about your issue as well.

Generally in FC2 modeling the easier part is the 3DS Max technical side, but not in our case.

The first problem is to all ED cockpit (except the new KA-50 and A-10C) has a simple 2D planar object layered cockpit structure.

It means the ED use a layering method for their cockpit object positioning. This caused (and still causing) a lot of flickering, non visible object issue.

If you would create a cockpit you need to have a good plan to the object visibility and positioning.

- You need to create the far objects first (for example front panel) than the object in front of (for example instruments) and last one the moving object (for example needles for instruments)

This prevent the FOV issues

- Every object in Max has an own "Serial Nr" and the ED export tool use this Max internal object counter for their object positioning also.

So if you need to delete and recreate the front panel later on by any cases the new front panel object get a higher "Serial Nr" in Max and in FC2 you front panel visible over the other instruments and objects...

In this case you need a good base plan for 3D modeling...

If you need to delete/change/recreate any object (for example the front panel) you should try the following method:

- Select all object in front of the object.

- Save as selected through Max that delete all of them

- Create a new main object e.g front panel

- Merge the previously saved object into this project.

Flickering or non visible object/texture:

The other big issues the flickering or non visible object/texture. It cased by the wrong linking and grouping in Max.

My tips how to solve this:

- You need one central dummy.

- The central dummy must be connected to a dummy glass object: That's mean you have to create a small plane that assign a canopy-glass material through LOMUtils in Max.

This need to prevent the flickering or non visible object/texture.

- I divide my cockpit to four part: Front, Left, Right, Bottom-Top. All main part has an own dummy and all fix objects in this part connect this dummy.

- Every moving object has to be connect in an additional dummy and this dummy's are must be connected into a central dummy

- Every object that textured with .tga must be connected for an own dummy also that connect the central dummy

So basically you have to create a lot of dummy. My Mig-21 cockpit has an 450 dummy for ~2600 object

Material:

You have a limited material slot in max so be careful. You need to reserve at least six slot for the following:

- Dummy glass

- HUD

- Night cockpit light (.tga)

- Warning light (.tga)

- Canopy glass

- One spare just in case

- All night textures can be managed by the cockpit .skin file with argument = 180; like the other planes.. So you won't reserve an individual slot for night textures

All .tga texture only can use diffuse, opacity, self illumination material.

You can't insert an another .tga texture for example over the instrument needles .tga because two .tga layer will be interfere for each other or it will cause a flickering later on.

.tga parameters:

Only one side

Specular level: 0

Glosiness: 10

Opacity: 100

+ Self illumination: 133:133:133 color

FOV:

Basically your 3D Max center will you pilot eyepoint zero so you have to set it correctly in Max.

Unfortunately the FOV is different in Max and FC2 so sometimes your object seems to be warped or different in FC2.

Sometimes you need to create an elliptical object in Max to seems as a cylindrical one in FC2.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Where should I place texture for my model to make it visible in game/modelviewer relatively to new DCS mods structure?

I made test box (again..:))=>Unwrap=>Asigned .bmp material => Make cool => export 2 .edm

I`ve placed box to D:\Games\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Wunderluft\Shapes\Wunderluft.edm

in Wunderluft.lua (clear pack from ED-team) I see

mount_vfs_liveries_path (current_mod_path.."/Liveries")
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures/Avionics")

I`ve placed my .bmp texture in all this folder, but in modelviewer I see my box mapped by MissingTexture.bmp

I also tried different formats - bmp, tga, packing to DDS, no work.

I`m not sure about correct name for material, should it contain path to game folder or important is only name of file?

Le7K6ODPeC8.jpg

Edited by BR=55=Sevas

FC2 flickering bug :)

A little help from Beczl:

Here it's my generaly tips for cockpit making that contain the fix about your issue as well.

Generally in FC2 modeling the easier part is the 3DS Max technical side, but not in our case.

The first problem is to all ED cockpit (except the new KA-50 and A-10C) has a simple 2D planar object layered cockpit structure.

It means the ED use a layering method for their cockpit object positioning. This caused (and still causing) a lot of flickering, non visible object issue.

If you would create a cockpit you need to have a good plan to the object visibility and positioning.

- You need to create the far objects first (for example front panel) than the object in front of (for example instruments) and last one the moving object (for example needles for instruments)

This prevent the FOV issues

- Every object in Max has an own "Serial Nr" and the ED export tool use this Max internal object counter for their object positioning also.

So if you need to delete and recreate the front panel later on by any cases the new front panel object get a higher "Serial Nr" in Max and in FC2 you front panel visible over the other instruments and objects...

In this case you need a good base plan for 3D modeling...

If you need to delete/change/recreate any object (for example the front panel) you should try the following method:

- Select all object in front of the object.

- Save as selected through Max that delete all of them

- Create a new main object e.g front panel

- Merge the previously saved object into this project.

Flickering or non visible object/texture:

The other big issues the flickering or non visible object/texture. It cased by the wrong linking and grouping in Max.

My tips how to solve this:

- You need one central dummy.

- The central dummy must be connected to a dummy glass object: That's mean you have to create a small plane that assign a canopy-glass material through LOMUtils in Max.

This need to prevent the flickering or non visible object/texture.

- I divide my cockpit to four part: Front, Left, Right, Bottom-Top. All main part has an own dummy and all fix objects in this part connect this dummy.

- Every moving object has to be connect in an additional dummy and this dummy's are must be connected into a central dummy

- Every object that textured with .tga must be connected for an own dummy also that connect the central dummy

So basically you have to create a lot of dummy. My Mig-21 cockpit has an 450 dummy for ~2600 object

Material:

You have a limited material slot in max so be careful. You need to reserve at least six slot for the following:

- Dummy glass

- HUD

- Night cockpit light (.tga)

- Warning light (.tga)

- Canopy glass

- One spare just in case

- All night textures can be managed by the cockpit .skin file with argument = 180; like the other planes.. So you won't reserve an individual slot for night textures

All .tga texture only can use diffuse, opacity, self illumination material.

You can't insert an another .tga texture for example over the instrument needles .tga because two .tga layer will be interfere for each other or it will cause a flickering later on.

.tga parameters:

Only one side

Specular level: 0

Glosiness: 10

Opacity: 100

+ Self illumination: 133:133:133 color

FOV:

Basically your 3D Max center will you pilot eyepoint zero so you have to set it correctly in Max.

Unfortunately the FOV is different in Max and FC2 so sometimes your object seems to be warped or different in FC2.

Sometimes you need to create an elliptical object in Max to seems as a cylindrical one in FC2.

Very useful information - didn't know about the "object ID" thing.

Is it really the actual objects that have to be ID'ed in the right order to avoid invisible/hidden objects? - I thought it was the material IDs assigned to them that have to be "layered" in the right order.

JJ