Dynamic Campaign Discussion Thread

winchesterdelta1

WRAITH, I don't think you read the thread carefully. Eagle Dynamics already stated that they want to make a DC -- they are just making it small steps at a time, because it is a massive undertaking and they need money in the meantime.

So, they will be releasing new planes and new modules to get some money. Each of these modules will bring us one step closer to a real DC like that of F4.

Instead of waiting for ED to do this, make your own DC project and run it.

We have been playing Crimean Incident dynamic campaign in FC1, now Georgian Incident in DCS/FC2, and with just few incidents everything is running and is very immersive. I wouldn't swap it for Falcon's DC engine ever, LOL. It actually saved my interest in FC2. It is the best online multiplayer flying I have ever been to.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 3 months later...

Uh Wraith MP didn't do it. F4 was severely broken on release and the prolonged development decimated MP to the point they were bought up by Hasbro and gutted.

Fast forward 15 years later and it still isn't flawless. The ATC still generates meat grinder suicide missions causing a major attrition war with zero finesse.

I love flying BMS, but I don't for a second believe that a theater wide real time war simulation is financially viable.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Where you surprised when you read that the Dynamic Campaign developer would not have done the DC like it was in Falcon 4 if he knew then what he knows now? Or maybe you missed that interview?

Falcon 4 has had about 17 years of development in total, IIRC.

What surprises me though Microprose could do it, Free Falcon does it and BMS is doing it, so then why cant DCS do it as a commercial line.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

...and where are the Falcon devs "as a commercial line" now?

That is very very important to remember. ED doesn't want to go the Microprose route.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

...and where are the Falcon devs "as a commercial line" now?

That is very very important to remember. ED doesn't want to go the Microprose route.

It wasnt their fault. Hasbro managment sent whole MICROPROSE to the Sh..hole

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Where you surprised when you read that the Dynamic Campaign developer would not have done the DC like it was in Falcon 4 if he knew then what he knows now? Or maybe you missed that interview?

I think the way ED is approaching it may be better. Or maybe Falcon's just needs to be more open? ED working its way through developing triggers and resource management will let us make better and more dynamic missions on its way to a dynamic missions.

I think a dynamic mission in some cases might be better than a dynamic campaign.

• ED Team

Well its quite obvious to the outsider that ED is doing it differently as well, its just in little bits and pieces here and there, that's the only painful part... you can see a piece of the puzzle being added as we go along... would love to see the road map for that...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I don't know about what the BMS crowd is doing, I know they're working on some things.

As for ED, you're pretty much correct. The only caveat is that there is still a long way to go: AI development is needed to make use of a DC/DM, for example, aside from things that the DC system itself might need, and the team is pretty small. So it will be slow-going.

You are correct in that ED has given a lot of power to mission makers with the SSE, but this is not as easy to use a more developed ME, so there are always trade-offs. ED continues to work towards making the mission maker's life easier, but again ... small team, time needed.

I think the way ED is approaching it may be better. Or maybe Falcon's just needs to be more open? ED working its way through developing triggers and resource management will let us make better and more dynamic missions on its way to a dynamic missions.

I think a dynamic mission in some cases might be better than a dynamic campaign.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have to admit I did not read all the pages But

personally i am not fly in Falcon,But it's a fact that "dynamic campaign" This is the part that Makes the difference between the DCS & falcon,The biggest mistake of ED is mmm...

They missed the "dynamic campaign".

But that ED

The 147 Squadron commander

"The Goring Ram"

• 2 weeks later...

Dynamic Campaign - a must

I absolutely agree that an dynamic campaign is the next must step for DCS. Liked Falcon 4 a lot.

I don't really know whats the problem with it. With the mission editor you have possibility to manipulate / generate everything. It shouldn't be a big deal to combine everything to an dynamic campaign. Of course, it still needs some effort, but its worth. Maybe as an separate Module for DCS World.

If this campaign also supports multiplayer I would play the game much more. Right now I am missing an ongoing story. These single missions are good for training.

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

• 3 weeks later...

Been getting into BMS a fair bit with a few friends in MP. It's amazing how alive the DC makes everything seem. You're just a rather small cog in a very large machine which is an impression you never get in DCS. Yes you can build a mission to imply that sort of dynamic with a lot of effort in DCS, but most of the time, pretty much in most missions, if you fly outside the area of operations there is nothing out there. In BMS, 30 seconds after starting up the sim, you are in a dynamic large-scale operation with no effort on your part, it's created for you. You fly off track and you most certainly will encounter something. There is often considerable air traffic with other flight packages, the whole theatre is heaving. DC is coming to DCS bit by bit. If ED can manage invoking that sort of impression with the environment you are in that BMS does now then it would be a massive shift in the perception in what DCS is.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

• ED Team
Been getting into BMS a fair bit with a few friends in MP. It's amazing how alive the DC makes everything seem. You're just a rather small cog in a very large machine which is an impression you never get in DCS. Yes you can build a mission to imply that sort of dynamic with a lot of effort in DCS, but most of the time, pretty much in most missions, if you fly outside the area of operations there is nothing out there. In BMS, 30 seconds after starting up the sim, you are in a dynamic large-scale operation with no effort on your part, it's created for you. You fly off track and you most certainly will encounter something. There is often considerable air traffic with other flight packages, the whole theatre is heaving. DC is coming to DCS bit by bit. If ED can manage invoking that sort of impression with the environment you are in that BMS does now then it would be a massive shift in the perception in what DCS is.

You can see them adding things that are leading to their mission of "dynamic" should be interesting to see where it goes.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

You can see them adding things that are leading to their mission of "dynamic" should be interesting to see where it goes.

Resource Manager very big key.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I know that the dynamic campaign hasn't been a priority for ED since the canned scenario is much better for real-world training (which is the primary source of funding for ED). That said, I would pay for an add-in dynamic campaign engine. With what DCS World is becoming, this program just screams for a Falcon 4.0 type persistent, dynamic campaign where you can just hop into any jet/helo on either side and dish out hate and discontent.

..., I would pay for an add-in dynamic campaign engine. With what DCS World is becoming, this program just screams for a Falcon 4.0 type persistent, dynamic campaign where you can just hop into any jet/helo on either side ...

Agree - I believe a lot people would pay extra for a dynamic campaign, me too.

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

Although I've never made and published a mission, I've fiddled a lot with the mission editor. I've examined some of the best missions people have made to see what they did and how they did it, and I've looked over a lot of documentation for it, including LUA.

Unfortunately the DCS mission editor itself is simply not that powerful, and I think this is a much bigger problem than the lack of a dynamic campaign. If the editor was good enough and open enough, it would be easy to create dynamic campaigns. I might point out that Rise of Flight has a 3rd party external dynamic campaign generator which works quite well, but not even that seems possible in DCS.

(I have some ideas for LUA scripting and an external dynamic campaign generator, but it would be a potentially engine-breaking nightmare at best.)

• 1 month later...
Although I've never made and published a mission, I've fiddled a lot with the mission editor. I've examined some of the best missions people have made to see what they did and how they did it, and I've looked over a lot of documentation for it, including LUA.

Unfortunately the DCS mission editor itself is simply not that powerful, and I think this is a much bigger problem than the lack of a dynamic campaign. If the editor was good enough and open enough, it would be easy to create dynamic campaigns. I might point out that Rise of Flight has a 3rd party external dynamic campaign generator which works quite well, but not even that seems possible in DCS.

(I have some ideas for LUA scripting and an external dynamic campaign generator, but it would be a potentially engine-breaking nightmare at best.)

Why exactly is the DCS ME not powerful? It's one of the best (if not the best) mission editor I've ever seen. The only knock I can think of regarding an external campaign manager is that the miz format is binary, not text based.

I'm not calling you out; I guess I'm asking for clarification as to why the DCS ME is the issue, since you've obviously put a lot of thought into it.

My perspective is that we're almost there. Take a look at the Mission Generator guide, and then my comments. I think that the templates are the key to dynamic mission generation, and the campaign manager code is the only thing keeping us from a single player dynamic campaign. A multiplayer campaign like this would likely necessitate multiple clients in the same flight, and the ability to fly aircraft that are not necessarily designated as "client", but SP seems pretty close.

but not even that seems possible in DCS.

It is very much possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

DCS ME is a semi-powerful, but ultra easy engine. Scripting (lua) is a powerful mission editor but harder to manage.

DCS is a nice scripted game. You can do wonderful things in single player.

But, some not implemented tools could kill the potential Semi-dynamic campaign.

Ex : The success Levels : -1x / 0 / +1x next mission

It should be possible to determie otherwise more easily like : This flag = automatic success, jump to X mission, not n-1, n+1.

Moreover, maybe it could introduce a new ME tool to say if next mission has to load certains (checkboxed) units depending some variable in the last mission.

Don't be wrong, with scripts, you CAN do a dynamic campaign. but:

1 : ultra-hard to code and impossible to debug

2 : requires 10Ghz intel's Skylake dual core.

Right now, we all know the weak link is the logbook and campaign progression. Apart that, DCS ME is really great.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Don't be wrong, with scripts, you CAN do a dynamic campaign. but:

1 : ultra-hard to code and impossible to debug

Yes, it is hard to code - especially if you want something that is GOOD and creates realistic missions - but it is not impossible to debug. Why would it be?

2 : requires 10Ghz intel's Skylake dual core.

Why would it require some majestic CPU?

The computations necessary are light enough that they could be done on a cell phone. The problem isn't computation power, the problem is designing a system that creates GOOD missions. Eagle Dynamics is working in this direction but is making sure to take it in manageable steps to ensure quality. DC's like IL2, ROF and Falcon aren't "enough".

Here's an example workflow for such a system:

1) Play mission.

2) System reads export of what happened during mission. (Already supported.)

3) System abstracts this as necessary and creates a new mission based on the before and possibly some general guidelines on the direction the war is supposed to take. (Very difficult to implement well.)

4) System creates a mission. (First steps implemented through Mission Generator and Supply system)

5) Back to step 1.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The only knock I can think of regarding an external campaign manager is that the miz format is binary, not text based.

Are you kidding? All of the files within .miz are LUA tables that one can easily modify.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Are you kidding? All of the files within .miz are LUA tables that one can easily modify.

Suspect he never tried opening a .miz with an unzip utility... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester