Skinners need help..

O_Smiladon

Hi All,

I have made this skin of a New Zealand P51 thats flys not far from were i live and i am having some trouble with it,

please see my pics

Screen_120518_173332.jpg

notice the "G" coming through the skin and then when you look at it from a differant angle it goes away

Screen_120518_173344.jpg

Is this something to do wit the lua file ????

here is how mine reads

livery = {

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_L_Wing",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_R_Wing",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_L_Wing",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_R_Wing",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, îäíîðàçðÿäíûé. íîìåð ñàìîëåòà â ãðóïïå. äëÿ êàíàäñêîãî ñêèíà

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZer_Fuz_Front",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà áîðòó ñàìîëåòà â ðàéîíå êîçûðüêà îñòåêëåíèÿ ôîíàðÿ

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, äâóõðàçðÿäíûé. êîä ãðóïïû, ýñêàäðèëüè ñàìîëåòîâ. ñòàíäàðò USAF

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà áîðòó ñàìîëåòà ïîñåðåäèíå ôþçåëÿæà, ïîä ïîäâèæíîé ÷àñòüþ ôîíàðÿ êàáèíû

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", DECAL ,"empty",true}; -- äåñÿòêè

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- åäèíèöû

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, äâóõðàçðÿäíûé. êîä ãðóïïû, ýñêàäðèëüè ñàìîëåòîâ. äëÿ êàíàäñêîãî ñêèíà

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Front",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà áîðòó ñàìîëåòà çà ïîäâèæíîé ÷àñòüþ ôîíàðÿ êàáèíû

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, îäíîðàçðÿäíûé. íîìåð ñàìîëåòà â ãðóïïå. ñòàíäàðò USAF

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà áîðòó õâîñòîâîé ÷àñòè ñàìîëåòà

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- äîïîëíèòåëüíûé òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, îäíîðàçðÿäíûé. íîìåð ñàìîëåòà â ãðóïïå.

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà êèëå ñàìîëåòà

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- ñåðèéíûé íîìåð ñàìîëåòà. òðåõðàçðÿäíûé

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå íà êèëå ñàìîëåòà

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_NZr_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"empty",true}; -- øåâðîí íà êîìáèíåçîíå ëåò÷èêà

}

name = "NZ 3 Sqdn"

countries = {"USA", "RUS", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

Any help would be great thanks guys

Oh p.s this skin is still a WIP

O_Smiladon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi matey. The 3d models in DCS have also got a specular mapping texture. That's the *.dds file with a SPEC in it. This defines, by means of certain colour shades, which part of the model will be matt and which part will be shiny. What happens to you, you've got this letter G defined as matt (probably from previous skin) and the rest is shiny hence the effect in certain light conditions. I suggest you check your skin in model viewer so you don't have to start the game each time you want to check a small detail.

Anyway, the SPEC dds files are shocking green (the more green, the less reflections) and magenta / violet colourish. Violet is used for the shiny parts of polished aluminium.

http://www.rastertek.com/dx10tut21.html - have a look here

Btw, there are SPEC files for each part of the a/c in both matt and shiny versions in default skins. You can also use (and I strongly suggest that) a SPEC layers in your PSD file. Hope that helped.

Hay Robo,

thanks for your reply

Hmmmm looks like this could get a bit techo..

How does the model veiwer work ??

thanks mate

O_Smiladon

Oh no, it's pretty straight forward. All you need to do is make sure your DIF and SPEC files are matching. I suggest starting with the SPEC files of the default 'BARE METAL' livery. Open the SPEC files in Photoshop normally, you'll see it's all violetish. That means that everything will be shiny in the game's engine and will reflect light as a mirror. If you have a look at the Spec files of say the Desert Rat (also a default skin), you'll see it's a Olive Drab camo which is matt. It's SPEC file is therefore green (shocking green that is). You can combine both by the means of pasting a selections of the green one onto the violet one. If you have got markings on a polished aluminiumm surface, you can select the shape of the markings and fill it green on the violet background. This will mean that the markings will be displayed matt on the shiny surface in the game. Pretty realistic I must say.

What happened to you - you removed the G letter from the DIF file but it remained on the SPEC file therefore you have a matt bit on a shiny surface. PM me the WIP skin of yours, I can have a look.

Best way of doung that is by using the SPEC group in the original PSD template and saving it in green / violet (magenta) pallette. Difficult to explain how to do that tbh.

Ad model viewer - very helpful when skinning, have a look here: ftp://ftp1.files.eagle.ru/mods/model_viewer/

Ok. I hope it's ok to ask here because I didn't get an answer when I asked else where. ED's template doesn't come with the description.lua file, so when I finish painting the template that ED has given us, where do I get the lua file from? I've tried the lua from "bare metal" but my skin didn't even show up. instead, I had a yellow texture with missing texture written on the nose.

So does this mean we have to edit the lua file if we're going to use the one from, for example, bare metal?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I was asking the same thing... for my skin which I named Buff in the dds files I also initially used the bare metal description.lua file and got the same missing texture yellow. What I did was eventually edited the .lua file like so (this is not the whole file but a shortened version):

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Buff_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Buff_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Buff_L_Wing",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Buff_R_Wing",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Buff_Fuz_Front",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Buff_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Buff_L_Wing",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Buff_R_Wing",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Silver_Fuz_Front",false}; -- òàêòè÷åñêèé íîìåð, îäíîðàçðÿäíûé. íîìåð ñàìîëåòà â ãðóïïå. äëÿ êàíàäñêîãî ñêèíà

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Silver_Fuz_Front",false}; -- ðàñïîëîæåíèå. íà áîðòó ñàìîëåòà â ðàéîíå êîçûðüêà îñòåêëåíèÿ ôîíàðÿ

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};------------->

-------> {"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Buff_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Buff_Fuz_Rear",false};

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"empty",true}; -- øåâðîí íà êîìáèíåçîíå ëåò÷èêà

}

name = "Buffalo Soldier"

countries = {"USA", "RUS", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

I think I may have figured out a workaround although I have not put this to the test yet. I am gong to make a generic P-51 .lua file naming everything something like p51D_DIF_p-51_Fuz_Front .. and just change the description name at the end to whatever the skin is going to be called. I think as long as the description name matches the name on the folder in which the textures can be found and the texture names inside that folder match the texture names in the .lua file it should work... I think once the sim goes to look for the textures it uses the .lua file as a reference that is why initially when I used the Bare Metal .lua file I had two Bare Metal references in the editor window but as I said I am not sure yet. Maybe someone can try this and see if it works.

Anyway, the SPEC dds files are shocking green (the more green, the less reflections) and magenta / violet colourish. Violet is used for the shiny parts of polished aluminium.

Thanks Robo that is exactly the information I was looking for .. :thumbup:

I can't seem to get the model viewer though... Itasks for a username & pw and when I enter mine it does not accept it.. I'll try again over the weekend..

Edited by Bearcat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Fx-8350 | ASUS M5A99X EVO | EVGA 1050G PS | Corsair Force 3 240GSSD

Samsung 840 EVO 500G SSD | 32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 7200RPMHD

WD 2TB 7200 RPMHD XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB DDR5 | SB Xi-Fi APU | W7 U | TIR3

MSFFB2 | Saitek X-52|SaitekPro Pedals | Logitech Z-640 5.1 | ASUS VE248 24" LCD

No bother.

Yes you're right, all you need to do in order to create a new 'livery' is have a folder with 'description.lua' file in it. That one shows the path to all textures used. Say you want to have same aircraft with different noseart - you simply add new textures of the nose (p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT.dds + corresponding SPEC file if necessary) and add the path to the existing folders with textures to be used on the rear part of the fuselage and wings. There is no need to have identical textures duplicated.

Normally though, if you want to create a brand new aicraft with unique 4 textures, you need to create them (obvioulsy), then you need to create a folder (use same structure as default skins, e.g. C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D\YOURAIRCRAFT, place the textures in it (should be 8 *.dds files).

Your description.lua file should look like this:

livery = {

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_L_Wing_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_R_Wing_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_FRONT", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_FUZ_REAR", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_WING_L", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_L_Wing_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_WING_R", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_R_Wing_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_COCPIT_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FRONT-2_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_REAR-2_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_BORT_NUMBER_FIN_01", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_L_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 0 ,"p51D_DIF_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"P51D_SERIAL_NUMBER_R_100", 2 ,"p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Rear_YOURAIRCRAFT",false};

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"empty",true};

}

name = "'YOURAIRCRAFT' XYZth FS"

countries = {"USA"}

Use notepad and REPLACE function (Ctrl+H) to replace all _youraircraft with appropriate name and save. The above example is for a custom skin with all markings on it. Many lines are obviously for generic skins as the game is able to add specific squadron letters on same skin for various aircraft in the same flight. If you paint your letters on the fuselage, you don't want the game to put anything on top of that. You can edit decals, pilot skin, pilot patch (unit badge etc) for each skin. Pretty cool.

So Leafer feel free to copy any description.lua into your folder, open it with notepad (you can associate the *.lua file extension woth notepad) and copy and paste the example above. Save. Then use the 'replace' function to change YOURAICRAFT to anything you need. Make sure the names of the files match with the texture names. So basically yes, you need to edit the lua file for every skin you create. Don't worry, it's pretty straightforward.

Modelviewer is pretty useful for finding and tweaking this pesky little details. It works alright for me, I used the latest version from the above FTP, installed OK. I am able to open the *.emd files and I am seeing the a/c I am painting in the game's engine. All I had to do was finding the P-51 emd file and copying all textures to C:\Program Files (x86)\edModelViewer\Bazar\TempTextures so the thingy can see them. You can reload the model to see the effect of the tweaks you're doing and you can see how the SPECular reflection work (green / violet).

• Like 2

Ok I got the P-51 EDM file. Put skins in the C:\Program Files (x86)\edModelViewer\Bazar\TempTextures and the model shows up and no skins. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for being a dumbA** MLOL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok I got the P-51 EDM file. Put skins in the C:\Program Files (x86)\edModelViewer\Bazar\TempTextures and the model shows up and no skins. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for being a dumbA** MLOL.

If there are any textures missing, you get this orange replacement texture. In the TempTextures folder, you need to use default texture names, e.g. p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front.dds, p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front.dds etc for all 4 texture parts. That way, the model will load them. when you finish, just rename the files by adding _YOURAICRAFT or whatever and drop them in the game folder.

• Like 1

ROBO......:thumbup:

You Are A bloody Legend!!!!!!!!!

Fixed the skin looks cool now:D

i Will post up when I finish.

But one thing were the hell did you find the P-51D.emd file ??

All I could find was Cockpit_P-51D.emd

Once again thanks very much for your help

O_Smiladon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If there are any textures missing, you get this orange replacement texture. In the TempTextures folder, you need to use default texture names, e.g. p51D_DIF_Fuz_Front.dds, p51D_SPEC_Fuz_Front.dds etc for all 4 texture parts. That way, the model will load them. when you finish, just rename the files by adding _YOURAICRAFT or whatever and drop them in the game folder.

Thanks so much Rep inbound.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you open the specc dds in photoshop it does indeed look green and a bit garbled too i thought, then i viewed each of the r,g and b channels seperately Each is shown then as a greyscale image representing the value of whichever colour). Each channel was different enough that i suspected that perhaps they contained diferant information, for example red=specular colour, green = specular level and blue = reflectivity. this is mere speculation on my part as i didn't experiment at the time. If some one can point me in the right direction to use a model viewer for a10 i'll do some tests, either that or someone from ED can say I've over imagined the possibilities for the spec textures.

someones getting close.. to whats possible.. i already know. soon.

ooh very cryptic, i'm intrigued:)

After a little play it seems most of my speculations seem to hold water except for the green channel defining specular colour (it cant do colour, its a greyscale image) i'm now guessing the grey value referances a fresnal ramp texture which defines the colour of the specular highlight differently depending on the viewing angle (this would make flip paint possible). My guesses are based on what i've learnt in the past about repaints in FSX. My next goal is to define a custom sset of spec mays in a livery .lua so i can do a gold plated A10 but without making all other A10s appear reflective.

please forgive me for any confusion caused by wild inaccuracies in my guesswork!

weird coincidence on the names there eh. after all that i cant even be bothered to do any repaints, who'd really want a gold plated A10 anyway. My time would be far better spent learning how to locate and prosecute targets than pimping my ride although i might change my tune when i finally get the mustang.:laugh:

Oh no, it's pretty straight forward. All you need to do is make sure your DIF and SPEC files are matching. I suggest starting with the SPEC files of the default 'BARE METAL' livery. Open the SPEC files in Photoshop normally, you'll see it's all violetish. That means that everything will be shiny in the game's engine and will reflect light as a mirror. If you have a look at the Spec files of say the Desert Rat (also a default skin), you'll see it's a Olive Drab camo which is matt. It's SPEC file is therefore green (shocking green that is). You can combine both by the means of pasting a selections of the green one onto the violet one. If you have got markings on a polished aluminiumm surface, you can select the shape of the markings and fill it green on the violet background. This will mean that the markings will be displayed matt on the shiny surface in the game. Pretty realistic I must say.

What happened to you - you removed the G letter from the DIF file but it remained on the SPEC file therefore you have a matt bit on a shiny surface. PM me the WIP skin of yours, I can have a look.

Best way of doung that is by using the SPEC group in the original PSD template and saving it in green / violet (magenta) pallette. Difficult to explain how to do that tbh.

Ad model viewer - very helpful when skinning, have a look here: ftp://ftp1.files.eagle.ru/mods/model_viewer/

OK Robo .. how the heck do you get this thing to work.. ?:helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Fx-8350 | ASUS M5A99X EVO | EVGA 1050G PS | Corsair Force 3 240GSSD

Samsung 840 EVO 500G SSD | 32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 7200RPMHD

WD 2TB 7200 RPMHD XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB DDR5 | SB Xi-Fi APU | W7 U | TIR3

MSFFB2 | Saitek X-52|SaitekPro Pedals | Logitech Z-640 5.1 | ASUS VE248 24" LCD

weird coincidence on the names there eh. after all that i cant even be bothered to do any repaints, who'd really want a gold plated A10 anyway. My time would be far better spent learning how to locate and prosecute targets than pimping my ride although i might change my tune when i finally get the mustang.:laugh:

A gold plated Mustang, although slightly over the top, would have a decent 'cool' factor. Especially with Nevada terrain...think 'cruizin the strip'!:P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Check this out :D It is possible, although mine is red lol

This was accomplished using a base red color. And then using Cyan as the SPEC color.

Using Cyan has elimited the sun glare, but keeps the mirror finish. It's a wip to get the glare back.

Screen_120519_194538.thumb.jpg.34aa333aed23ddedef1ea3e1e35a3620.jpg

Screen_120519_194736.thumb.jpg.895b9f1593507f5e20a82bcf7f3ef01f.jpg

Edited by -Rudel-
sp
  • Like 1

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Nice, the anodized aluminum look could work.:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you :)

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

OK Robo .. how the heck do you get this thing to work.. ?:helpsmilie:

Sorry dude, I've missed this post - see PM. :smilewink:

-Rudel- cool stuff!

It is my understanding that the 3 channels define simple parameters of the specular colour map. I've been checking the extremes to see what is doing what (spec maps of 255,0,0, 0,255,0 and 0,0,255). The more green, the less reflection you get. 255 is fully matt surface, see the left wing on the screen below:

Clipboard01.jpg

Flat texture, no reflection at all (that's 0 / 255 /0), this can be obviously tweaked by getting slightly less green and adding some R and B (that's your cyan actually), green is your SPECULAR COLOUR channel. Right wing is fully blue iirc (0/0/255) and it's pure mirror. The problem is that in game it is mainly reflecting the sky which is blue, hence the blueish tint. It's not that visible in the model viewer and becomes more obvious in the game. Depends on the weather settings and ligt condition (like in real life). Red channel (255/0/0) is taking care of the highlights and it seems to be adding some gloss and / or white colour into the reflections, that is your shininess channel. Some spec maps are grayscale, some are using alpha channel (RGBA), this seems to be 3-channel colour specular mapping where each channel, red, green and blue, are creating their bit, you can combine them as needed, e.g. your cyan would be no green but lots of blue and red and I don't think it would get rid of the blueish tint. The background diffuse colour has also got big impact on the display in the game's engine. You need to use some shade of ligth grey if you want to depict polished aluminium, the problem is that on brighter diffuse colour, the blue reflection will be more visible. This is OK in real life in a bright day, but looks a bit odd (unnatural) in game.

I am presonally using green for matt aluminuim, e.g. tom surfaces of the Mustang wings as they were manufacturet that way - dull, filled and sanded:

RGB 68 / 195 /52

For shiny stuff, e.g. mirror polished aluminium, I use 162 / 155 / 172 with a wee bit more red on the highlights. That looks, in my opinion, pretty good in the game's engine.

• Like 1